mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Why isn't there a lot of talk about Fuji?

I've been reading in on these forums for a while now, and I very rarely hear people mention Fuji bikes. My LBS sells a lot of them, and I just bought an Outland Pro for a great price. Is this brand just not very popular in the US or is there something else I'm missing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone56
    I've been reading in on these forums for a while now, and I very rarely hear people mention Fuji bikes. My LBS sells a lot of them, and I just bought an Outland Pro for a great price. Is this brand just not very popular in the US or is there something else I'm missing?

I think it's because they haven't done anything to polish their image. Popular makers go to great lengths to be cool, since this definitely sells. Specialized, Trek, Cannondale have this 'high tech' thing going, while GF and some others have a 'classic MTB' cachet. It's got a lot to do with marketing.
    My impression of Fuji bikes is either a rusting ancient thing in someone's backyard, or a boring mid-range bike with a revolting paint scheme in the back of a mail order catalog. Their designs aren't interesting, and they don't do anything to differentiate themselves in other ways.

It's Fuji's fault.

Freshly Fujified

Marketing, marketing, marketing

Look at this site, or pick up and MTB rag and you'll have your answer. Fuji may very well make excellent bikes, but until they find there way into places where MTB'ers spend time reading or talking about the sport, they won't get a second look.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    I did notice a Fuji ad in Bicycling mag this morning. It was for a women's road bike, and the ad was very stupid. I would have ignored it completely if i hadn't noticed the Fuji logo and remembered this thread

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I think I get the idea. From my understanding, they've spent more time working on the international market than here in the US.

My concern lied more with their bikes. As long as they make a quality product I am happy. The components are all Shimano or other quality makers, so I was confident with that. But after looking through a bunch of magazines and searching the internet, no one ever suggested a Fuji. Just seemed a little odd to me...

There's no app for this.

great price?

You get what you pay for: the Suntour fork is strictly entry level OEM fork, I doubt you can get parts/service for it if you need to. Tektro disc brakes again are entry level OEM, parts and pads might elude you when you need them.

Pricing is relative to goods delivered; you might have a good frame and Shimano Deore is OK too, but the fork and brakes are where Fuji cut the corners for your "great price"

All that said, if you're doing road and light trail riding, you should be able to really enjoy the bike. but it's not a top end bike, that's all.

FWIW, my .02, Jim

mtbr member
    May 2005

Fuji=road

Fuji is a manufacturer more known for road bikes than for MTB. They are growing strgonger in the MT worl but that would be only in Europe and I would have to say only at entry-mid level bikes. So if you are looking for a good price for an entry level bike you are looking at a good brand. If you are looking for the best MT bike out there look elsewhere.

If you want to read about Fuji your best bet is to read european magazines. They have good reviews and comparissons there...Ive read alot in Spanish mags but Im in Mexicoso they are easier to come by.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The goal was definetely an entry level bike, but one that can be upgraded later on. Obviously the components will not be top of the line, but with a solid frame, I can upgrade those components later on can't I? Once the fork reaches it's end, I can get a much better one...same with the brakes and so on.

Either that, or the people at my LBS pulled the wool over my eyes. I still got a very good deal on the bike...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The goal was definetely an entry level bike, but one that can be upgraded later on. Obviously the components will not be top of the line, but with a solid frame, I can upgrade those components later on can't I? Once the fork reaches it's end, I can get a much better one...same with the brakes and so on.

Either that, or the people at my LBS pulled the wool over my eyes. I still got a very good deal on the bike...
    you can always upgrade later on...if you are good with your deal then ride on and the ride will lwt you know if you made a good, bad or great choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I am happy with the deal. I'm sure later down the road when I am much more knowledgable, I will look at another brand, but I have taken the bike out everyday I've had it and had a blast each time. Best investment I've made in a long time.

How much of the quality of the bike determined by the brand(I read that as frame) and how much is dependant on the components?

mtbr member

fuji

Tbone-

Don't worry about the brand, it's a great bike as long as it fits and you like it. We have a garage full of nice bikes (ibis's, turners, dekerf, etc) I had a mt fuji mtb from Colorado cyclist about 9 years ago, great oxIII frame, great parts, loved that bike. I have a fuji steel road bike (853) and think it's great. I like 'em. Congats on your deal and have fun!

I am happy with the deal. I'm sure later down the road when I am much more knowledgable, I will look at another brand, but I have taken the bike out everyday I've had it and had a blast each time. Best investment I've made in a long time.

How much of the quality of the bike determined by the brand(I read that as frame) and how much is dependant on the components?

Quote Originally Posted by jewels
    . I have a fuji steel road bike (853) and think it's great.
    My brother has an old Fuji steel roadbike as well, and it still sees road duty (when he's not out on his Klein mtb....) His fuji has a decent build and is actually reatively light - well, at least for as old as it is (early '80's ?? perhaps).

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

15# 8oz roadie ~$2K

They've got some screamers in the roadie, track, and cross circles. Basically seem to be standard geometries and smart part specs. I *assume* that the same is true for the mtb's, but don't know. I was actually wondering.

Bicycling mag has a TdF issue (hunh, go figger) and picked the Fuji SL as a 15# 8oz ~2K bike that wont-be-in-the-Tdf-but-could bargin racer. Makes me hot for a roadie.

best,

-capt p