mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Trek, Jamis, Fuji??

I'm looking for some advice on my first mountain bike. I'm looking for something around or just above entry level for around $400. I've looked at the Trek 4500 for $400, the Fuji Nevada 4.0 for $300, and the Jamis Ranger SX 2.0 ($330) or SX 1.0 ($290) or Cross Country 1.0 ($375). I'll probably primarily be doing rails to trails kind of rides, at least at first. I have a road bike background (I currently ride a Cervelo P2K on the road), and don't know much about mountain bikes. Also, anyone know anything about the RockShox Judy and the Rock Shox Dart 1. Those are on the Trek and I'm finding mixed reviews on their quality. Thanks for any help?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Judy and Dart 1 are supposed to be the same, but imo the Dart 1 looks better.

The 4500 is a pretty good deal for 400 dollars, thats the bike I would get.

mtbr member
    How about the Forge Sawback 5xx i own one and it rides like a dream. I use it mainly as a commuter but I have hit the trails on it a few times (now that my XTC composite is gone it will be my "meantime bike" since im getting surgery and might as well wait to buy a new bike) and I was pleasantly surprised. Talk to Mike at CS if you have any problems because hes the best.
    That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death
    by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it,"
    --A Democratic congressional candidate in Texas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yo i crash, I agree... I had the 5xx for a few months and really like the bike. I even bought my wife a forge, the M Street. Hey I learned through this site that you can google "target coupons" and apply to your sale on line. it worked for me and i got an extra 10% off.

banned
    Bikes around that range are all pretty much the same. You should ride them and see which one is best for you. Otherwise pick the one that looks the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the advice- it definately helps!

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by bikegirl222
    Thanks for the advice- it definately helps!
    at that pricerange... most of the bikes are going to be entry level bikes... You're also going to want to check Ibex out... They make really sweet bikes for the money...

www.ibexbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I picked up my first Jamis Dakar a few months ago and love everything about the bike.I spent a few more dollars then looking to,but i went for a FS bike though.The bike feels like it was made to fit me.Better than any of my Treks,or Specilizes did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Any bike is a good decision. Itís a great sport, just get out and ride. Actually thatís how my wife and I meet,,, great fun!