Thread: Titanium Fuji

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Titanium Fuji

I have a mid 1980's Titanium Fuji mountain bike. Not sure of the model, I removed all the stickers when I bought it in 1986. I also upgraded all the components. Can anyone give me any information on the frame itself. The guy I bought it from said it was made by Sandvik. I have 2 forks (1" threaded) Ritchey and Answer Acutrak. Once I get more information on this bike I plan on selling it, dont worry - I will pay for an ad.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sounds interesting. Some pics would help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Pictures attached.

I have attached pictures of the bike. My wife just informed me that I bought the bike in 1995. It came with a titanium stem which I also still have.

Any information would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VRC Illuminati
    I'm not sure you'll find much help since you're just pillaging this form for info so you can sell the bike...

Sounds like you need to talk to your wife.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeri
    I have a mid 1980's Titanium Fuji mountain bike. Not sure of the model, I removed all the stickers when I bought it in 1986. I also upgraded all the components. Can anyone give me any information on the frame itself. The guy I bought it from said it was made by Sandvik. I have 2 forks (1" threaded) Ritchey and Answer Acutrak. Once I get more information on this bike I plan on selling it, dont worry - I will pay for an ad.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Probably is made by Sandvik as they produced many of the titanium bikes back then for other people and companies. Yeah it would have to be in the 90's as Titanium bikes did not become really mass produced till around the early to mid 90's. What size frame is it ?? God Bless

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the info. The frame is 20" C-C.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have one

I have a 1991 model which was the first Sandvik year, the year before was some overseas "Commerically Pure" Ti not the 3/2.5 stuff that the Sandvik bikes were. The "CP" bikes broke a lot....

My 91 came with a Fuji Steel fork, 7sp XT, Ritchey Stem, Bars, Grips, Seatpost, Brakes and levers, rims and tires.

I think they made them for a few years. I'm not sure how old the one you have is since it has a seat collar on it but I suspect that the seat collar is a bandaid. My 1991 came with a welded on pinch bolt clamp (sorry brain farting on what it is really called) that was worthless. The seatpost never stayed up and I fixed it with a 50 cent house clamp around the post to keep it from sliding in the frame. I rode it for 12 year before the seat clamp cracked. They replaced it was a Alum Mt. Fuji Frame but let me keep the old frame. I just need to grind off the old tabs and add a seat collar.

It was a sweet bike except for the 1" head tube (changed in 1992) and the non-suspension geometry. Even with a 65mm Zoke Z2 atom bomb the handling was suspect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Kramer,

Thanks for the information. You are correct, it had welded on seat post clamps that did not work well. When the bolt broke I removed them and installed the seat collar clamp - which works much better. The bike does handle very good with the stock fork. Not much tire clearance if you like to run big tires. Since it has the 1" head tube is it a 1991 model?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My guess is that is a 1991 but it could be a 1992. I'm not that sure of the date that they changed to a 1-1/8" HT.