mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Should I get the Outlander?

I am in the market for a new bike and I am thinking about the Fuji Outlander 2.0 29er. It is on sale at my local bike shop for 1300. Is it a good bike or is there just too much there for 1300. By that I mean is it crazy to think I can get into a good FS 29r for 1300? I am also 62 215 pounds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Any input?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well I went to two bike shops today (one that was selling the bike) and the sales reps talked me out of it. I picked my 2006 Trek 6500 SLR and he said my components were better on my current bike. One shops said I should look at the Specialized Stump Jumper 29er and the other said for what I am doing a FS 26 would be better. I live in North CA and clime great with my current bike, but slack in the downhill portions. For the area everyone shop recommends a FS bike. Aww too many choices not enough money lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pretty good bike for the money. I just bought the 3.0 because I broke my Titus motolite. Don't listen to the guys at the bike shop they think you're not a real rider unless you're riding a hardtail. Besides that I've never known any worker at performance bike stores that was a mountain biier. I'm surprised they didn't sell you a fixie. I use mine here in Austin texas and its awesome. I do wish I would have gotten the 2.0 though. But I don't feel I did bad for under a grand. Good luck on your choice

mtbr member
    Like I said to you (I think it was you who pm'ed me), the Outland is a super great bike, and those who say otherwise have not rode it. I said I upgraded the fork and shock and other things which made a great improvement, but for the price, that is one hell of a bike. I actually still sport the stock 3x9 on my 2012 2.0, and besides the fork and shock, the bar and stem change was the biggest bang for the buck due to fit. It was my first NEW bike and my first 29er and man I love it, here is a pic (added a KS drop post since this pic) :
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That bike looks awesome! After talking to you I was thinking about setting mine up like yours! I guess that bike goes on sale for 1000 sometimes and I might get it then and put fox suspention on it. Hey you said you got a 2012 you want to sell the one in the pic

mtbr member
    Haha, no I got an 2012 Specialized stumpjumper expert carbon 29er, not another Fuji.The Fuji is my work horse, even though the travel is 100mm on it, the Fox stuff makes it feel like its bottomless. As much as I love the Fuji, the Stumpy is my go to bike and still have a hard time picking to ride the Fuji over it haha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If I only had the bike budget you guys have. Gorgeous bike!

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice bike. The one complaint that I've seen in reviews is that it is somewhat heavy?

mtbr member
    Yeah she weighs about 2-2.5lbs more than my carbon stumpy with the dropper post. No big deal for me, and will eventually lose more weight if I start breaking and replacing the other stock components

mtbr member
    So your carbon stumpy weighs about 28 pounds?

mtbr member
    Yeap

mtbr member
    I wonder how much lighter it would be with tubeless. I was thinking of buying one from Performance but the large are all sold out apparently. Maybe next fall I can buy a 2012 a discount.

mtbr member
    Mine is tubeless and with the upgraded fork, shock, carbon bars, KS dropper post and wheels with everything else pretty much stock and Forte flats its exactly 30.84lbs. My stock carbon expert stumpy is at 28.64lbs with flats.
    As far as size, mine is a medium but my stumpy is large, so I guess the fuji mediums are actually a large or maybe speshy's large is actually a medium ha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The bike looks really nice Tsefreeflow. Just out of curiosity, what ballpark price did the fox fork and shock cost you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie1992 View Post
    The bike looks really nice Tsefreeflow. Just out of curiosity, what ballpark price did the fox fork and shock cost you?
    Thanks, I like it a lot. Lets see ... prices combined together they came to about $1100. Totally worth it though

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    Thanks, I like it a lot. Lets see ... prices combined together they came to about $1100. Totally worth it though
    Ahhh...the joy (and cost) of upgrades. It's a pleasure/pain thing!!

I'm sure that it rides much more smoothly with the Fox stuff, but I also think it looks a heck of a lot better with the new bits attached as well. Very eye catching.

Anybody else notice that Fuji actually lists the weights of their bikes on their web site? I couldn't tell you exactly how pinpoint accurate the listed specs are (but from what I hear they are pretty close)? Even though I am currently riding Specialized, I love that Fuji provides this information.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing that. The website says that the Outlander 3.0 weighs in at "WEIGHT 14.64 / 32.29" - Does that seem a bit heavy (for those of us who can't do TSE's upgrades?) The 2011 Specialized Camber Elite 29ers 2011 are on sale for $1599 right now. Not sure how much less those weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I got a tune up on my trek hard tail and it needed a new cassette so I got a xt, after a full tune up and cassette I will be keeping my bike for a while

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelem View Post
    Thanks for sharing that. The website says that the Outlander 3.0 weighs in at "WEIGHT 14.64 / 32.29" - Does that seem a bit heavy (for those of us who can't do TSE's upgrades?) The 2011 Specialized Camber Elite 29ers 2011 are on sale for $1599 right now. Not sure how much less those weight.
    From what I remember the Camber Elite weighed in at just a hair under 32 lb. in stock form. If I recall correctly it was 31.94 lb. So there is not much difference from the listed weight of the Outlander.

I can't offer you a ride report from either of those bikes (I did give the 2011 Camber Pro a bit of a workout when I was deciding between it and my 2011 Epic Comp). However, the one leg up I would give to the Specialized if I was deciding between the two is that the Specialized will probably hold a little better value when you try to sell it in a few years. This does not mean it is a better bike, or a better value (you can buy the Fuji for hundreds less and if you buy through Performance get 10% back in accessories on the back end as well), it is just something to throw into your decision making process.

You would also have to compare stock specs between both bikes to see what components are included. I'm not familiar with them off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am thinking about an outlander also. Found a large 2011 online for 1000 bucks. Would be my first Fs bike as I ride a 2011 canondale sl2. The Fiji just seems like a really good value and my road bike is a fuji and has held up really well.

I'm 6'4" tall and 235 pds.....so if I need to save 5 pds of weight I'll shave it off my own butt.....lol

mtbr member
    I didn't see any more large on the performance bike website.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought a 2011 Fuji Reveal 3.0. On the performance website it was marked at 1499 but someone at the store had marked it 999. So i bought it and love it. The brakes need bleeding more often then they should but its very easy to do. I just replaced the bar with a carbon forte that was only 79 bucks at performance. The front fork is a beauty but i am looking forward to upgrading the rear. Overall i lucked out and got a great deal. Go for it. If you look closely, specialized makes the frame.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by ian4141 View Post
    I bought a 2011 Fuji Reveal 3.0. On the performance website it was marked at 1499 but someone at the store had marked it 999. So i bought it and love it. The brakes need bleeding more often then they should but its very easy to do. I just replaced the bar with a carbon forte that was only 79 bucks at performance. The front fork is a beauty but i am looking forward to upgrading the rear. Overall i lucked out and got a great deal. Go for it. If you look closely, specialized makes the frame.
    Fuji licenses the suspension system from Specialized. While the frames may very well be made in the same Taiwanese factories as Spesh, Trek, Giant and the like, Fuji "makes" their own frames. It's just the suspension that the Spesh name is stamped on FS Fuji's for.

OP, great bike for the money.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson