mtbr member

Santa Brought Me an Old Fuji!

First, Merry Christmas to all and happy riding in 2010!

Woke up Christmas morning to find this Fuji Nevada under the tree! I believe it is a 2005.

Info: Fuji Nevada on Bikeapedia

Surfing around it appears others say that even though it is a low end bike, it is an upgradable frame (the only way I can have a great bike right now, a few hundred $ at a time). It does have a 1 1/8" head tube that my old Giant doesn't.

First question: what are your thoughts about this...is it a waste of money to build up this frame? The only thing that worries me is the area in the photo. This does not look strong to me:

Granted, I do not do a lot of jumping, yet, but I hope to increase difficulty as my skills improve. Right now general "Mountain biking" and trail riding at slow speeds (I assume).

Question two: assuming this is an upgradeable bike, I need help coming up with a game plan to upgrades. That front fork (SR Suntour XC6 with 70mm travel) I would think is first to change out. This thing is pretty heavy: 31.6 lbs
    Other hints? Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    John
    Last edited by coopdad; 01-07-2011 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    i've got a 2010 nevada 1.0

i put different grips on because my hands were hurting, i replaced the fork. also replaced the 3rd chain ring with a bashguard. the trail i ride regularly has a lot of the roots, mine also had a suntour and it just didn't soak up the bumps, my new fork is 2 pounds lighter as well. upgrading to a decent fork will make a huge difference especially if your trails aren't smooth.

thats a good beginner bike, ride it. upgrading the fork will probably give the biggest bonus. besides that, the plastic chain guard will probably break off eventually, exposing the 3rd chain ring, you won't want to cut your leg open on it, thats why i replaced mine with a bashguard. other than that, just upgrade as things break.

mtbr member
    Thanks Gabe3. Sounds like a plan.

And I wondered about that chain guard. Sure looks like a department store part. What/where did you get your bashguard?
    John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coopdad
    Thanks Gabe3. Sounds like a plan.

And I wondered about that chain guard. Sure looks like a department store part. What/where did you get your bashguard?
    John
    http://www.bbgbashguard.com/

mtbr member
    Another dumb question... if I just pull the chain guard off and run without it, how will that be different than the way I have been running for years on my Giant?

John

mtbr member
    well, it will expose your 3rd chainring to your leg.

mtbr member
    I have a 2003 fuji sunfire and it was pretty cheap- but I wouldn't ever get rid of it. I plan on getting it fixed up in about a year