mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Question: Fuji Track bike

After 1.5 years of riding fixed on my converted mountain bike, I'm looking to get a track bike. I haven't ridden a roaddie style bike in over 13 years so some input into changing ridding styles would be good.

I'm pretty sure I want the Fuji track bike. They've got the 49cm frame which suits my smallish 166cm tall body. Would this bike take a front brake or do I have to do my own drilling? This bike will be used mostly for commuting and maybe some track stuff down the line if I ever get around to joining a club. I know about the Bianchi Pista and KHS but those bikes are not available where I live in Australia.

Any opinions on this bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FixieCommuter
    After 1.5 years of riding fixed on my converted mountain bike, I'm looking to get a track bike. I haven't ridden a roaddie style bike in over 13 years so some input into changing ridding styles would be good.

I'm pretty sure I want the Fuji track bike. They've got the 49cm frame which suits my smallish 166cm tall body. Would this bike take a front brake or do I have to do my own drilling? This bike will be used mostly for commuting and maybe some track stuff down the line if I ever get around to joining a club. I know about the Bianchi Pista and KHS but those bikes are not available where I live in Australia.

I would recomend to build up an old 10 speed bike into a fixie. Track bikes are usally stiffer and different in geometry. very uncomfortable for everyday use. I have an old SR steel 10 speed that I converted over.
    This bike is so much more comfortable than my Specialized S Works M4 road bike that I never ride.
    I did the Marin Century on both bikes and this year I'm going to do it on my fixie again.

mtbr member
    The Fuji Track SE can take a front and rear brake. Also, it's geometry is a bit slacker/more comfortable than a full-on track bike and it's intended to be a bit more versatile.
    There are quite a few of these on the streets of Dublin at the moment. It's well worth a try - especially at EUR450 for a complete bike. I'm tempted to get one although I don't really need it. I'd prefer a more stealthy colour though.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by FixieCommuter

I had a '02 Fuji Track, now I have a '03 Pista. The Fuji is a much more commuter-friendly fixie than the Pista. For one, the frame/fork are drilled for a rear/front brake, respectively....very nice! Also, the Fuji frame is drilled for a water bottle. I had to drill my Pista's rear brake arch for a brake, as well as, the frame's downtube and seattube for a bottle....very nerve racking. Geometry-wise, the Pista is definitely geared towards track with it's steepish angles vs the slacker angles on the Fuji.

Enjoy the Fuji!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com