mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Nevada 1.0 2011 vs 2012

The Nevada 1.0 went from a $650 entry level component bike to an $1150 higher level component bike in one model year. No name change or even a real color scheme change. That seems odd to me - is it? I've only been in mountain bikes for about a year now so I don't have a good frame of reference.

I discovered this helping a friend pick our his first mountain bike. A local bike shop had a 2011 on sale for $550 and we got all excited thinking it was like 1/2 price but knowing that couldn't be right and of course it wasn't.

Still, what's up with that big change??

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just walked in from looking at the Fuji Nevada 1.0 (2012) model. I think they must have upgraded the components big time. This bike had all Shimano Deore with XT rear derailer and Shimano Deore shifters, front derailer, cassette etc. It also had the remote shock lockout. The only thing I didn't really like was the Tektro Hydraulics and Suntour shock.

I've been looking around and I can't find a bike with equal or close to quality components for less than 1600.00 and even then this bike looks better with the 30 speed setup.

This bike is half the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    it's just that they upgraded so drastically from last year to this. It had Tektro mechanical brakes and Acera deraileurs. It just seems odd to me that they would upgrade a bike that has a reputation for being at one price point and then changing it to a completely different one in a year. You think they'd rename it or something.

It does seem like a good value even at the higher 2012 price for the components it has.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I like everything about the bike except the weird frame height. The standover is at least 3" higher than the Giant Talon's we looked at. I'm 5' 10" and I'd have to go to a 15" Fuji to be safe on the but I could go to an 18" on the Giant and still have more stand over room. Fuji must measure things differently.

I'd like to swap frames/fork with the Giant and keep the Fuji components. I'll be checking them out again this weeked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anyone put in some serious time on the 2012 Nevada 1.0. Looking at it for my first real mtb. Rode mediocre rigids previously. Right now I am eying the Ral Talus 29er, Trek Mobia, Scott Scale Comp and Nevada 1.0.

So far the Nevada looks like the best value and most comfortable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My friend likes his 2011 but he's a total noob and is just learning and not riding all that much or asking much from the bike. I've ridden it a couple of times but not on trails. It seems like a fine entry-level bike.

The 2012 version is nicely equipped. The fork isn't great but it's not horrible either. It does have (fixed) rebound dampening. But its list price is $1179, not 1/2 of $1600 as purported by excaliber.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mhix01 View Post
    The 2012 version is nicely equipped. The fork isn't great but it's not horrible either. It does have (fixed) rebound dampening. But its list price is $1179, not 1/2 of $1600 as purported by excaliber.
    Ay my LBS the Fuji Nevada was 849.00 with the 50.00 off in store price it was 800.00. The list price of the bike was indeed over $1100.00.
    I thought the fork was pretty weak myself. The geometry was weird with a really weird standover height.

Who pays list price?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    Ay my LBS the Fuji Nevada was 849.00 with the 50.00 off in store price it was 800.00. The list price of the bike was indeed over $1100.00.
    I thought the fork was pretty weak myself. The geometry was weird with a really weird standover height.

Who pays list price?
    Ha yeah you must be shopping at Bob's too if you're in Meridian. I was in Bobs yesterday. I will say the Specialized Comp I just tried at Georges was a little better fork and brakes but not $400 better than the Fuji. Fuji does also have much better component group other than the fork and brakes.

Brakes would be an easy change out and I could improve the fork if I really need to later.

You are right though the standover is a bit weird, but overall I found the bike really comfortable for me.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yup, It was at Bob's. Do they still have it for 849.00?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yep, the $50 giftcard deal ends the end of the month. No idea what July's special is. So I'm guessing you haven't ridin' it besides in the parking lot?

My Co-worker has a Fuji Tahoe, I wanted to ask how his was holding up. He left early though. I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the Nevada

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I would have bought it but they only had that one on the end of the rack.(The white one) I think it was a size Medium. It was just too tall for me. I didn't even ride it knowing it was way too tall to begin with. If it fits you, I think it would be hard to find a better bike in that price range.

At that price you can find a Rock Shox Recon Gold on ebay for a couple hundred or so and be set up really nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Saying that makes me want to run out there. Will be closed by the time I can get there. I will probably run to a couple LBS's tomorrow and do a final test on the Talus and a Jamis at Merdian Cycle.

If none of them jump the Fuji on my list I will pick it up. Don't get me started on customizing already... I'll be broke

mtbr member
    May 2012
    antigravity19 sent you a PM

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Tried to send a PM back but unfortunately I need 5 more posts. 1 down 4 to go. I'll send my reply shortly.