Oct 2005

mtb on mt fuji at 100mph

I assume most people have seen this, but its pretty cool

http://2st.dip.jp/bikemovie/src/up7085.wmv

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerb
    I assume most people have seen this, but its pretty cool

http://2st.dip.jp/bikemovie/src/up7085.wmv

video clip from japan, but not mt fuji... think it was in peru, and it was from a few years back, wicked crash nonetheless!

updated details
    May 12th 2002, Volcano Cerro Negro, Nicaragua and Eric Barone does 164km/h onboard a Giant DH Team to break the World Speed Record for a mountain bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    video clip from japan, but not mt fuji... think it was in peru, and it was from a few years back, wicked crash nonetheless!

updated details
    May 12th 2002, Volcano Cerro Negro, Nicaragua and Eric Barone does 164km/h onboard a Giant DH Team to break the World Speed Record for a mountain bike
    Insane!!!

I'm how far behind?
    Nice to see the helmet pop off. Must of been wearing the straps NHL style..

mtbr member

updated details
    i dont know what your source is, but in the guiness book of world records the fastest a mountain bike has gone is Christian Taillefer at 212.139 km/h in 1998. thats like 32 mph faster than 164km/h. acc is the fastest woman and has gone over 120 mph

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    i dont know what your source is, but in the guiness book of world records the fastest a mountain bike has gone is Christian Taillefer at 212.139 km/h in 1998. thats like 32 mph faster than 164km/h. acc is the fastest woman and has gone over 120 mph
    yeah sorry, he was attempting to break the record...and he actually went faster on his test run... the bike broke at the headtube on his second run for the record...

long standing member
    Eric Barone does 164km/h onboard a Giant DH Team
    Does anyone know what bike he was on when the head tube broke and sent him cartwheeling down the mountain? Was that also the Giant?

I just want to know if I should ever buy Giant or not (because on most of my trail rides I hit 100+ mph).

Patrick

Yappy little dog!

updated details
    Yeah, but did he ride up the hill first? Now that would be something worth mentioning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm not sure I've ever seen an arm broken that badly... or at least one that was as ugly as that.

Does anyone know how that rider recovered?

Gravity Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Howard
    I'm not sure I've ever seen an arm broken that badly... or at least one that was as ugly as that.

Does anyone know how that rider recovered?
    I'm not too sure that what you're seeing is a broken arm. His riding suit, similar to M/C roadracing leathers, has extensive forearm armor. It looks more like the armor has become dislodged within the suit and that's what you're seeing extending from the elbow area. I've suffered from a severe compound forearm fracture before, and he he exhibited an unlikely amount of control and support of that limb if it had been broken as badly as the footage might lead one to think.

Still one fothermucker of a crash though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss
    I'm not too sure that what you're seeing is a broken arm. His riding suit, similar to M/C roadracing leathers, has extensive forearm armor. It looks more like the armor has become dislodged within the suit and that's what you're seeing extending from the elbow area. I've suffered from a severe compound forearm fracture before, and he he exhibited an unlikely amount of control and support of that limb if it had been broken as badly as the footage might lead one to think.

Still one fothermucker of a crash though.
    You're probably right. I watched quickly at work, and I wasn't paying very close attention.

Nothing about Barone on wikipedia that I can find, but I guess I should have done a quick search of the forums before asking. Here's the info from this forum way back when:

ghostface killah
    Feb 14, 2003 1:07 PM

"The guys name is Eric Barone and he is good friends with one of my cousins. I went over to her wedding last year in the french alps and was supposed to hook up with Eric to do some riding (~6 months after he crashed), but because his broken leg hadn't been set properly he was back in hospital while I was over there and missed out on it. Too bad since i was really looking forward to it.

p.s. my cousins new husband owns the carbon fibre company that constructed the bike, and from what i understood it was designed for use on smooth icy slopes and that may have been why the headtube snapped off."

Work Shed...
    That bike was carbon?! wow... i figured it was like inch thick steel, what where they thinking?
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....