Jul 2008

Mongoose Amasa Elite or Fuji Tahoe Comp 29er

So I am up in the air between two bikes:

Mongoose Amasa Elite:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...4921&Type=bike

or

Fuji Tahoe Comp 29er:

http://www.bikepedia.com/29erMTB/29e...oe%2029%20Comp

I know a lot of the compenents on the Mongoose are better, but I'd like the idea of a 29er. I'd like to hear some opinions please.

Fuji is $650 and Mongoose is $850

Also, I am wondering where the limitations of a hardtail begin. Thank you in advance for some answers!!

Hardbooter
    Limits? There are no limits! Just the butt on top!

The mongoose is better specced (much nicer fork IMO) but it is 200 bucks more.

Personally, I'd take the 29er. They really are plain and simple more fun (disagreements imminent) and they do crush everything in the way!

For 200 bucks, you could throw some parts on the Fuji and have a very sweet 29er beast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Actually the Mongoose is only about $600

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

I'm pretty sure you could find the Fuji cheaper somewhere also.

Completely different animals here though.29'ers are nice for bigger(you don't have to be big of course) guys and roll over rough stuff better then 26ers,they're as close to an FS as you can get with an HT.At least from what I have read.

There are no limitations to having an HT as long as you use it for what it was designed to be used for,i.e. DH,FR,Urban,AM and XC

Hardbooter
    My fathers XL Redline monocog looks like a 26er until you walk up to the thing and try and sit on it. It's pretty cool

Yes, the angle of attack of 29ers helps, but there's no need to preach that; it's plastered all over the internet..

Generally, not saying 'Big wheels are dumb" is a big step in enjoying 29ers. The people that don't dismiss them often end up loving them. Some people love 26 inch wheels, and there's no way they'd be caught dead sitting on "Flimsy wannabe road rims"

If you like the idea of a 29er, BUY ONE.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson
    My fathers XL Redline monocog looks like a 26er until you walk up to the thing and try and sit on it. It's pretty cool

Yes, the angle of attack of 29ers helps, but there's no need to preach that; it's plastered all over the internet..

Generally, not saying 'Big wheels are dumb" is a big step in enjoying 29ers. The people that don't dismiss them often end up loving them. Some people love 26 inch wheels, and there's no way they'd be caught dead sitting on "Flimsy wannabe road rims"

If you like the idea of a 29er, BUY ONE.

Were you talking to me?Because I wasn't preaching,I was just relaying what I have heard and read about them.I personally have a FS so I wouldn't know for sure how an 29'er rides and I certainly wouldn't call them dumb or say not to get one.It's a personal preference so until you try one you don't know if you'll like it or not.If not no big deal,just didn't want to come across as a snob or something.

Hardbooter
    I was referring to myself.

The SS Rigid 29er snob.

I preach too much sometimes.

Admittedly, I didn't make that very clear in my post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson
    I was referring to myself.

The SS Rigid 29er snob.

I preach too much sometimes.

Admittedly, I didn't make that very clear in my post.

Heh,O.K. like I said I just didn't want to come across as some sort of 29er snob or something.I actually was thinking of getting one for myself as a second bike because they're more comfortable rides from what I hear.The reason I bought an FS was for comfort.

Thank you for setting me straight

Hardbooter
    Man what the heck you think you doin ridin them tiny wheels! You messed up in the head!

Haha, as I said, if you don't create a self-fulfilling prophecy of "29ers suck", it's pretty easy to love them

You probably won't want fully rigid and singlespeed if you're a about comfort, but it's a very pure experience, and nothing says you have to ride the 29er all the time. Jumping back to your FS will feel more enjoyable (or it won't, and you'll fall in love with the 29er, which is all the better!)
    :

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Oh derr. I meant the Mongoose Amasa Super. Not Elite.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

Sorry for the stupidity there

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I actually like the Elite better,besides the no name parts like the post,stem and such I like the SRAM X.7 drivetrain better and with the money you save you can get a Tora 318 and upgrade those parts.The EA30 parts aren't that special and you could probably get EA50 parts with the extra money.

Hardbooter
    I'd get the 29er still

Dirt Deviant
    Hmmmm....looks like the Amasa comes with WAY better parts. About 4 upgrade notches in the brake dept, better fork, better drivetrain, pretty much better everything.
    Unless you area bigger/taller fellow, I'd say the Amasa hands down.
    Unless for some reason you just feel compelled to buy a 29" bike.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The "Windsor" bikes on bieksdirect are the exact same frames as the Fuji Tahoe.

the http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/29r_bikes.htm

The Cliff29r TEAM has has better parts in every slot than either of those bikes.

The pro which seems about equal to the Mongoose in parts is a fair bit cheaper. :P

I have no experience with Bikesdirect or direct experience with these bikes, but that is the info I have read.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well I decided to go with the Mongoose Amasa Super. From the test rides I have taken, I feel a lot more comfortable on it. The 29er was to bulky for me. I think I made a great choice.

Hardbooter
    Glad you got it all worked out.

Irock
    go to performance bikes .com the mongoose is only $600
    https://www.performancebike.com/weba...mmaryOnly=true