mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Iron Horse Warrior Elite, Hollowpoint Sport, Fuji Adventure Comp or ? Best Year End

I've been looking for a full suspension mountain bike. I'm about 5'9", 160 lbs and ride streets, trails and downhills and I'm located in CA, SF Bay Area. Since this is the end of the 2005 models, I'm hoping to get a bargain before they the 2006 arrive.

What are the best deals you've seen? I'm leaning towards these selections:

Iron Horse Warrior Elite ~ $1049, Fuji Adventure Comp ~$1000, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Sport ~$899.

Which would you select and why? Also, let me know if there are better bike/deals for this price range and which store you saw it at.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MODEL 2005 WARRIOR ELITE
    CATEGORY PERFORMANCE DUAL SUSPENSION
    FRAME ALLOY 7005 5" TRAVEL DUAL SUSPENSION SINGLE PIVOT WITH SEALED BEARINGS, ZERO-STACK HEADSET, REPLACEABLE DROPOUT, INTERNATIONAL DISC BRAKE MOUNT
    REAR SHOCK ROCK SHOX BAR ADJUST AIR
    FORK ROCK SHOX REBA SL 115MM TRAVEL
    HANDLEBAR EASTON LOW RISE 31.8MM CLAMP
    STEM EASTON
    HEADSET FSA ORBIT Z, NO.9 1 1/8" ALLOY, ZERO STACK THREADLESS
    BB TRUVATIV POWER SPLINE
    CRANK TRUVATIV BLAZE W/ POWER SPLINE
    RINGS 44/32/22 STEEL
    PEDAL CRANK BROS EGGBEATER CLIPLESS
    CHAIN SHIMANO HG-73
    SEAT WTB ROCKET V RACE W/CROMOLY
    SEAT POST EASTON
    F. HUB SHIMANO ALLOY QR 32H
    R. HUB SHIMANO ALLOY QR 32H
    F. DER SHIMANO DEORE
    R. DER SHIMANO NEW DEORE LX
    SHIFTER SHIMANO NEW DEORE LX HYDRAULIC DUAL CONTROL
    FREEWHEEL SRAM PG-950 CASSETTE 9 SPEED
    BRAKES SHIMANO NEW DEORE LX HYDRAULIC DISC 6"
    BRAKE LEVER SHIMANO NEW DEORE LX DUAL CONTROL
    RIM WTB SPEED DISC 32H WITH EYELETS
    SPOKE 14G STAINLESS BLACK
    TIRES MAXXIS HANSVENTURE 2.35
    SIZE MENS: 15", 17", 19", 21"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FUJI ADVENTURE COMP
    MAIN FRAME:Fuji Altair 2 Custom Butted with Integrated Head Tube
    REAR TRIANGLE:Fuji Altair 2 Custom Butted and Shaped Chainstay/Seat Stay with Cold Forged Dropout with Disc Mount, Sealed Bearing Pivots
    FRONT SUSPENSION:Manitou Nixon Comp Fork (130/150mm travel)
    REAR SUSPENSION:Four Bar Linkage System (150mm travel)
    DRIVETRAIN: Shimano Deore Drivetrain, 27-speed, New TruVativ Blaze Crankset, 22/32/44T Chainring
    WHEELSET: Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc Hubs with Alex Double Wall Rims, Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brakes, Continental Gravity 26 x 2.3” Tires
    SADDLE: WTB Speed V Race
    COCKPIT: Fuji
    COLOR: Blast Black
    WEIGHT: 32 lbs
    MSRP (USD): $1,860.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IRON HORSE HOLLOW POINT SPORT
    Frame Frame: CUSTOM BUTTED 7005 ALUMINUM DUAL SUSPENSION, ZERO-STACK HEADSET, 3.75"/4.5" TRAVEL, DW LINK, REPLACEABLE DROPOUT, INTL DISC BRAKE MOUNT
    Fork Fork: ROCK SHOX DUKE XC AIR 100MM TRAVEL
    Shock Rear Shock: MANITOU QR AIR, 6.5x1.5"
    Crankset Crank: TRUVATIV FIREX SX
    Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket: TRUVATIV ISIS SL
    Pedals Pedal: SHIMANO PD-M520L CLIPLESS, CROMO AXLE
    Front Derailleur Front Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE
    Rear Derailleur Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE XT
    Shifters Shifter: SHIMANO DEORE
    Cassette/Freewheel Freewheel: SRAM PG-950, 11/32T, 9 SPEED
    Chain Chain: HG73
    Hubs Front Hub: ALLOY, SEALED BEARING, 32H
    Spokes Spoke: DB 14/15G FORGED BLACK STAINLESS
    Rims Rim: MAVIC X223 DISC
    Tires Tires: MAXXIS HANSVENTURE, 26x2.35, KEVLAR BEAD, DUAL COMPOUND, 127TPI
    Brakes Brakes: HAYES HYRDAULIC HFX 9
    Brake Levers Brake Lever: AVID SPEED DIAL 7
    Headset Headset: FSA, THREADLESS
    Handlebar Handlebar: TRUVATIV XR-XC
    Stem Stem: TRUVATIV 5 DEGREE
    Tape/Grip
    Saddle Seat: WTB ROCKET V CARBONARA W/CROMO RAIL
    Seat Post Seat Post: ALLOY MICRO ADJUST, 27.0MM
    Seat Post Clamp
    Sizes Size: MENS:15",17",19",21"
    Colors Color: ELECTRIC BLUE

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't know if you are looking at online shops or not, but if you are I recommend considering Ibex Bikes as well. I had considered the Iron Horse Warrior Elite but I was concerned about buying a bike that I had not demoed. Ibex has a 30 Day return policy, allowing you to return the bike if it isn't to your liking. Jack, who answers their info email address, is very accomodating and answered all the questions I had.

Check them out at : Ibex Bikes

I bought the Apogee LX and I have been really pleased with the purchase.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I don't know anything about the Fuji, but among the Iron Horse models you've listed, I'd go with the Hollowpoint due to its DW-Link suspension.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thanks For The Help...

I decided on the Fuji after riding and looking/comparing and asking questions about these bikes. The price was right too since this is a year end close out.

Freshly Fujified

Post a review

Quote Originally Posted by Hfactor
    I decided on the Fuji after riding and looking/comparing and asking questions about these bikes. The price was right too since this is a year end close out.
    Glad to see you've made your choice. Please do the readers here a favor and post a review in the product reviews section, and be sure to let us know here that the review is up. There has been a lot of question in these forums regarding Fuji MTB products, and I think some insight is needed from more Fuji owners, IMO.

Best Wishes, and enjoy the new ride.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hfactor
    Yes, please tell us what you think of it. I was looking at one at Performance the other day. I'm in the market for a 5"-6" travel trail oriented bike.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Impressions....

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    Yes, please tell us what you think of it. I was looking at one at Performance the other day. I'm in the market for a 5"-6" travel trail oriented bike.
    I test rode both non-suspension, hard tail and full suspension bikes... some were friends bikes and some from Performance. When it comes to fun factor, the full suspension seemed the most fun and versitile.

The front fork is plush and soaks up the bumps nicely. I haven't figured out the best compression/rebound setting yet... I haven't heard much about the rear shock; Either way, I have not hit the hard stops on either.

The Deore hydralic brakes are fantastic, especially coming from v-brakes. They have a good lever feel, are easy to modulate and are powerful. I have to figure out if the rear brakes need break-in or if the rear disc is slightly warped though. Frame geometry is good; I sit much more upright than my previous non-suspension bike... very comfortable.... Deore derailers shift great also! Saddle could be more comfortable, but what the heck..I originally did not prefer the matte black finish, but I have grown accustomed to it and find it quite stealthy/attractive now. I've taken this bike out on some fireroads/trails but not any extreme climbs/descents yet.

I wanted a full suspension bike without spending a lot of money, so this worked out great, finding a bike I wanted at a price I liked too. The MSRP on this bike is $1860, and I bought it for $999, being a year end close out. Add the Performance membership for $20 and you will receive $100 back in coupons for use in their store.

I recommend a "buy" if you have criteria similar to mine!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Look @ Marin QUAD TARA

Hey-
    I would look at the Marin QUAD TARA line- adjustable travel rear end with nothing but rave reviews. I searched and researched and finally ordered myself one (should be here this week, tomorrow!).
    Since there is no difference in the frame b/t 2004-2005, I chose to go with a fully built 2004 Attack Trail from Sierra Trading Post- list on the site is 1299 (1700 or so MSRP) and you can use a 20% off code for a total of 1035 or so +$15 shipping! Code is a fatwallet.com. I also signed up with their site for another 3% rebate, bringing the total to within $5 of a G! Bicycleblowoutdotcom also has this bike listed at 1300, but no coupons.
    Other option is to go with a Marin frame (05 on closeout) from Adrenaline bikes and build up to spec. This will allow you to get a newer rear shock and anodized frame. They have build kits, as well as Pricepoint, and many others. look for something on sale.
    Remember, Marin frames "run big" b/c they don't measure the top tube as most do. Feel free to call them- they have been really good with answering my ?s.
    Anyways, good luck, and read up on the reviews. Unique suspension design from a botique mfg- should be cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the update hFactor. Please be sure to update the official product review section after you have a couple more weeks of riding.

I considered buying an '05 fuji diamond RC on closeout at Performance earlier this year. It had great component spec and a horst rear suspension, but didn't buy it, mainly because I couldn't find any user feedback on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The Iron Horse Warrior Elite has those sweet Shimano Hydraulic Disc brakes with the new LX STI type shifters. Payless Bikes has them on sale for $899.00

http://www.paylessbikes.com