mtbr member

GT, Giant or Fuji?

Trying to narrow down the options for a new purchase, looking for a low to mid range XC hardtail, it comes down to three now, all around GBP 400-450 range;
    GT Avalanche 1
    Giant XTC4
    Fuji Outland

I hear GT and Giant have good reputations for frames, but can't find out much about Fuji, they seem less strong on the mtb side.

Any advice about which one to go for?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    some other questions:
    1) People have told me not to go near a bike with mechanical disc brakes if the bike costs below 500, cos they will be more throuble than they are worth. Is that true?
    2) I was also told that GT bikes had gone bust recently and whoever took them over didn't get the plans or designs for the frames; if you break the drop-off bit where the rear gears are attached, GT can no longer supply a replacement. Can anyone verify this? I thought GT had a good middle spec reputation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Heeley
    Trying to narrow down the options for a new purchase, looking for a low to mid range XC hardtail, it comes down to three now, all around GBP 400-450 range;
    GT Avalanche 1
    Giant XTC4
    Fuji Outland (non-disc brake)

I hear GT and Giant have good reputations for frames, but can't find out much about Fuji, they seem less strong on the mtb side.

Any advice about which one to go for?
    Thanks!
    Oh, two more possibles to throw into the picture:
    1) Scott Aspen 2003 model for 400.
    2) Giant Xtc Se4 for 425.
    Last edited by Al Heeley; 02-25-2004 at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member

Giant

I feel that they are the largest of the three companies mentioned and most likely to be around to help you out if you have warranty issues.

GT was sold to Questor who sold it to Pacific who just sold it again to a Canadian company. I have lots of GT's in the house but would stay away from the brand because of its current history.

I really do not know much about Fuji but in my area (New Jersey, USA) Giant is a major player with great backing. That would be the selling point over the other two to me.

Of equal importance is the bike shop you are dealing with. If you have a choice of shops because of the brands, I would probably lean towards the shop I felt most comfortable with.

Interestingly, my favorite shop was a GT/Giant/Fuji dealer but dropped GT two years ago when Pacific bought them.

No comments on the brakes. Both my hardtails have Avid rim brakes and my FS has Avid mechical discs. You might get a better answer to your brake question on the brake forum.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Bubba. I have also just found out the local bike shop offering GT's has the 2003 range to offer, not the 2004 range. They are, however, asking 2004 rates, other places are already marking down last years models by up to 100. This really has put me off both GT bikes and especially the dealer in question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There were some fantastic deals on '03 GTs in the states

I think Performance might still have a few in limited sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    I think Performance might still have a few in limited sizes.
    You have access to such LOW prices in the states, we are paying about the same in GBP as you pay in USD$, and with the exchange rate as it is now, its actually a lot cheaper buying from a mail order company in the US, paying for it to be shipped over and shelling out the 17.5% customs duty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

giant

i think that giant is definitely the way to go, giant has a great history with dealing with warranty issues, and the xtc is a great hardtail to buy. its nice and light, strong, and perfect for riding. the xtc frame is also very raceable as well, one of giants best mountain hardtails. good luck with your bike buying ^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You should also take at a look at Raleigh. M80Disk gets solid reviews and the new Raleigh bikes are pretty tight. Stay away from Fuji MTB bikes, they don't have a solid reputation. Giant is very very solid as well, can't go wrong with Giant. GT, not a good choice right...not doing well.

Giant is the largest and their frames are used by Specialized, Kona, and Trek. Raleigh also has solid frames...also used by K2, Haro, and they're reforming the Diamondback Team.

After looking at Specialized, Giant and Raleigh I opted with the Raleigh M800 (now called the Talus). The price of the Raleigh with XT/Disc/Koski...all name brand componants, the only thing I changed was the fork. Anyway, good luck!

PS
    "You might remember Raleigh if you owned bikes in the 1970s; the English brand was one of the best bike makers in the world. They fell on hard times for a while, but they're back in force now with an excellent line of bikes. One of our favorites is the M80, which features an absolutely mind-boggling array of features and value-laden parts at a price that is honestly unfair to competitors. The aluminum frame features a rear disc brake mount, a rarity on low-end bikes, and a reinforcing gusset on the head/down tube juncture. It's a quality frame not often found on bikes this cheap. The parts are an overall success. There's a nine-speed Shimano Deore drivetrain, Tektro's inexpensive linear-pull rim brakes, and a Rock Shox Judy C fork. The only real miss is the wheels, which use no-name alloy hubs. Fortunately the Weinmann rims and WTB Velociraptor tires make up for the hubs, but hubs are the heart of a wheelset and these will likely be some of the first parts to go on this bike. That one glitch notwithstanding, the M80 is a real find."
    -MTB DirtRag (Consumer Guide)
    Last edited by Akali; 02-26-2004 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm really grateful for all this feedback, the choice for a newbie is overwhelming, it looks like the Giant is the one to go for, most probably..
    When I was a kid, I got through loads of different Raleigh bikes growing up, they had a virtual monopoly in the UK, I had a really nice lightweight racing bike from them about 10 yrs ago, but they did seem to lose their way, which is why I never considered them this time around. Maybe worth considering again, although I have not yet seen the M80 over here, they sell some MTB's under the Carrera name.