Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Fuji Tahoe 29'er ???

Is anybody on here familiar with this bike or this company for that matter. I know that they are a large company, but that is about it. I'm looking for a 29'er and my LBS just got one of these in. This also a new line for the LBS. Any info about this bike(all three models) would be appreciated. I've road the Tahoe 29 Pro, and it felt great. I liked it more than the Specialized rockhopper. Thank you.

bighat

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

anybody?

Tahoe info. Anybody?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    go to the reviews link at the top of the page and navigate to the 29er reviews, I know there were 2 or3 reviews of it so far, generally good.

no fat chicks
    around here all the top pro's ride fuji tahoe's
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    when i was shopping for my current 29er, i rode a teal fuji tahoe, which i probably should have bought. but i ended up with a monocog. i say if you like it and it fits then go for it, but there are other 29ers to test so take your time
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper comp

an orig. MTBR "Old Phart"

Yes, I own a 2008 Fuji Tahoe 29er Comp

Quote Originally Posted by bighat
    Is anybody on here familiar with this bike or this company for that matter. I know that they are a large company, but that is about it. I'm looking for a 29'er and my LBS just got one of these in. This also a new line for the LBS. Any info about this bike(all three models) would be appreciated. I've road the Tahoe 29 Pro, and it felt great. I liked it more than the Specialized rockhopper. Thank you.

bighat
    Hell of a bike, esp. for the price. The 29" wheels/tires roll over rockbeds, through sand, over bumps and ruts like no 26" bike can. It feels plush, almost as plush as some short-travel dualies. Its acceleration does not feel quick or fast, but once up to speed, you can really fly on this baby, partly thanks to its wheel size, good frame geometry, comfy cockpit, and balanced feel.

The med. weighs 31.8 lbs., so it isn't lightweight by any measure. The top of the line model, however, is only 2 lbs. lighter, and costs $1,000 more. But, this bike is so much fun to ride. The bike feels so well under control ... no shimmying feel like 26" wheels can experience over trail irregularities at speed, braking is very good (Avid mech. disc brakes work great, better modulation than my 1st generation Avid mech. disc brakes), decent tranny. BUT, I've already switched out the 11-32 rear cassette for 11-34 model -- this really helps with steep climbs. But, the bike tracks beautifully up and down hills, and on corners.

Also, be sure to use clipless pedals. When using platforms, your shoe can slide forward on the pedal and rub against the first tire.

Got this at Performance for $649, minus an add'l 10% ($65) which went to my Performance account, and MSRP is $950 -- great deal.

This is going to be my primarily mtb now, over my 2 dualies. Yes, it's that much fun to ride.
    carpe diem while you can ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you the poster formerly known as Harovore?

I seem to recall we had similar bikes way back in the day (Haro Extreme single pivots).

Ironically I am now riding a Haro Mary XC as my only bike (after having a number of other FS bikes).

I had a Fuji BMX bike a long time ago. I won't share what I was told FUJI was an acronym for...

Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    Are you the poster formerly known as Harovore?

I seem to recall we had similar bikes way back in the day (Haro Extreme single pivots).

Ironically I am now riding a Haro Mary XC as my only bike (after having a number of other FS bikes).

I had a Fuji BMX bike a long time ago. I won't share what I was told FUJI was an acronym for...
    Yeah, Harovore is my old handle ... but I didn't own a Haro dualie ... I owned Haro Escape A-4, A-3, and A-2 hardtails. I still think these were some excellent hardtails!

You know what? I was REALLY looking at the Haro Mary XC, but didn't want to drop that much cash on my next bike. I spent a little over 1/3 the price of a Mary XC on my Fuji Tahoe 29er Comp. I would, however, love to own a steel hardtail though, esp. as a 29er. How do you like your Mary?

I still own a '01 Schwinn Rocket 88 Disc and '97 DBR V-Link Pro Carbon Fiber dualies. But, I think my 29er is fast becoming my favorite bike. Don't you think that they're just more fun to ride than 26ers? I love the way they "roll" over stuff with very little impact/resistance.

BTW, great memory, man. I last rode a Haro and used that handle about 5 years ago!!! :-)

Herb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, that's me, a great memory for messages on a forum...

I bought the Mary as a frame only for something like $225. It's definitely a bargain build up (I just can't seem to dedicate all that money to a bike anymore). But regardless of that, yeah, it's a great ride. I honestly find it more comfortable to ride than my old Giant AC, and that had 5 inches of travel. I haven't figured out yet if it's the frame or the wheel size, but either way I like it.

Definitely love how it rolls over everything. My only issue so far is that it seems to be harder to wheelie.

I think the main thing I like about it is that it rides how I remember my first real MTB riding. It's nice and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    Yeah, that's me, a great memory for messages on a forum...

I bought the Mary as a frame only for something like $225. It's definitely a bargain build up (I just can't seem to dedicate all that money to a bike anymore). But regardless of that, yeah, it's a great ride. I honestly find it more comfortable to ride than my old Giant AC, and that had 5 inches of travel. I haven't figured out yet if it's the frame or the wheel size, but either way I like it.

Definitely love how it rolls over everything. My only issue so far is that it seems to be harder to wheelie.

I think the main thing I like about it is that it rides how I remember my first real MTB riding. It's nice and simple.
    Whoa, you got a great deal on your frameset. Had I had that opportunity, I would've definitely gone for a Mary ... maybe 2!

Yeah, I'm with you -- I'm not as willing to drop a lot of $ on bikes anymore. Everything I buy these days has to be at "bargain" prices ... got 2 kids to send to college, mortgage, etc. But, like I said earlier, the top of the line Tahoe is only 2 lbs. lighter than the Comp, and it costs $1,000 more. And, I looked at the Mary on Haro's website, and the XC model weighs 30 lbs. as well. But, hey, I'm no weight weenie, so no prob.

Have a good weekend of riding, all.

Cheers!

Herb

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The shop I work at is a Fuji dealer. As far as I know the Tahoe 29 is the cheapest production 29er out there. Mechanical discs are the greatest, even though I use hydraulic, but may downgrade if I do more cold weather biking. The weight of the bike is a bit of the frame, but mostly the wheels and tires. I really ride a Salsa Mamasita, and have built a Stans wheelset with Aerolite spokes, really light. I used the Arch 29 and thought the extra 50 grams of weight savings of the ZTR wasn't worth it. Also Kenda Karma tires are light, I weighed my 1.95s in at 517 grams, for a 29er. I do know the Top of the line Tahoe 29 is sold out, there are only the other 2 left in all sizes. Just thought I throw that out there if anyone wanted to lighten up a bit, if you're on a budget then the entry level Tahoe is the way to go.

mtbr member
    I assembled one of those bikesdirect.com 29ers for a customer, a Windsor. It was basically identical to the Fuji Tahoe, although the frame looked like it was from a previous year's run. It even came with a Fuji owners manual.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nato_the_greato
    I assembled one of those bikesdirect.com 29ers for a customer, a Windsor. It was basically identical to the Fuji Tahoe, although the frame looked like it was from a previous year's run. It even came with a Fuji owners manual.
    And??? What did you think of it???

Bob

mtbr member
    It was a tank. We're a Fuji dealer, so I've seen all their 29ers, and the frames are pretty darn heavy. The frame alone for a size Large is about 5 pounds. I had a Voodoo with a Scandium frame that was 3.2lbs.

We've had a lot of warranty issues with the Dart 3 29er forks, too. I'd stay away from them.

If you're on a budget, try to find an 08 with a Tora on clearance.

I built up my Voodoo for a little under $1k, with parts from eBay, Jenson, and Pricepoint on clearance. You can find 29er frames for really cheap, so that's one option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nato_the_greato
    It was a tank. We're a Fuji dealer, so I've seen all their 29ers, and the frames are pretty darn heavy. The frame alone for a size Large is about 5 pounds. I had a Voodoo with a Scandium frame that was 3.2lbs.

We've had a lot of warranty issues with the Dart 3 29er forks, too. I'd stay away from them.

If you're on a budget, try to find an 08 with a Tora on clearance.

I built up my Voodoo for a little under $1k, with parts from eBay, Jenson, and Pricepoint on clearance. You can find 29er frames for really cheap, so that's one option.
    Thanks for the feedback. A couple of extra pounds doesn't dissuade me...I've got a Windsor Cliff29 Team on order (Reba, X-9) for $1k. Sounds like it should be a pretty nice bike. Worst case I get a new frame and it's still a great deal.

Bob

mtbr member
    yeah i've seen those. they're pretty nice.
    I got my Voodoo scandium frame on ebay for $350, which is the same as the wholesale cost. there are some awesome deals on frames floating around. You could also get a nice steel frame that may not save weight, but ride better.

mtbr member
    Just picked up my 08 29 Tahoe Pro on Saturday. No time to ride it yet due to the rain. I'll give a report once I have a chance. Looks great, and fits very well. I think the 08 colors are a little better than 09 as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I rode a box stock tahoe pro in State College, PA on a ton of single track and some serious rocks. I was totally stoked on the performance and handling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Fuji Tahoe 29 and Windsor Cliff 29

I've been trying to decide on a 29er for a few weeks and doing lots of research (that's how I always shop and it drives my wife crazy) and I'm currently looking at getting the Windsor Cliff 29 Team. I don't want to spend more than $1000. I was also looking at the Motobecane Fantom PRO 29er but for a little more money the Windsor looks great. If you look at all the specs, it's exactly the same as the Fuji Tahoe 29 SL except the Windsor is $980 and the Fuji is $2,100. The windsor even comes with a Fuji manual. I just went and checked a Windsor out tonight and it looked pretty good. Here's the specs on each bike:

[SIZE="5"]Windsor $980[/SIZE]
    Frame Altair 2 custom butted aluminum with PowerSection down tube, top tube/seat tube gusset, Hydro-formed top and down tube, Integrated head tube, water bottle mount
    Rear triangle is Altair 2, custom tapered 7005 aluminum with Edge S-bend MonoStay, Cold forged dropout with CNC'D disc mount and replaceable hanger
    Fork Rock Shox Reba 29 SL Air, 80mm Travel w/Remote PopLoc
    Crankset TruVativ Firex 3.1 GXP, 22/32/44T
    Bottom Bracket TruVativ GXP Exterior Bearing System
    Pedals BONUS Xpedo MF-3 clipless
    Front Derailleur SRAM X.9, 34.9mm
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.9
    Shifters SRAM X.9 Trigger, 27-speed
    Cassette/Freewheel SRAM PG-950, 11-34T 9-speed
    Chain KMC HG-73
    Hubs Gravity Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    Spokes 32 Stainless Steel 14 gauge
    Rims WTB Lazer Disc Trail 29", 32H DW w/ Single Eyelet
    Tires Maxxis Ignitor, Continental Mountain King OR Kenda Nevegal (NO Choice) 29"
    Brakes Avid Juicy 7 Hydraulic Disc, 160mm rotor
    Brake Levers Avid Juicy 7 Hydraulic Disc
    Headset V.P. A-42E 1 1/8" Press Fit Integrated, 30mm spacers
    Handlebar Windsor Pro Riser 15mm double butted aluminum 31.8mm
    Stem Windsor 3D Forged Al 1 1/8"
    Tape/Grip Dual Density Kraton rubber
    Saddle WTB Rocket V Comp SE
    Seat Post Micro Adjust, 350mm x 31.6mm
    Seat Clamp Superlite Alloy, 34.9mm Laser Etched

Description....................................... .. Small.... Medium.... Large....
    A SEAT TUBE, CENTER TO TOP 431 482 533
    C-2 EFFECTIVE TOP TUBE LENGTH 584.2 602 622.3
    D CHAIN STAY 455 455 455
    E BB DROP 60 60 60
    F FORK OFFSET 47 47 47
    G HEAD TUBE ANGLE 71 71 71
    H SEAT TUBE ANGLE 73 73 73
    I WHEEL BASE 1083 1100.9 1121.8
    J STAND OVER HEIGHT 785.1 807 837.2
    HEAD TUBE LENGTH 120 125 140
    reach NA NA NA
    stack NA NA NA
    trail NA NA NA
    STEM LENGTH 100 110 110
    STEM ANGLE 7 7 7 7
    HANDLEBAR WIDTH 640 670 670
    HANDLEBAR RISE 15 15 15
    CRANK LENGTH 175 175 175
    TOE CLIP SIZE NA NA NA
    SEAT POST DIAMETER 31.6 31.6 31.6

[SIZE="5"]Fuji $2,100[/SIZE]
    Main frame Fuji Altair 2 custom butted aluminum with PowerDiamond down tube, top tube/seat tube gusset, Hydro-formed top and down tube, Integrated head tube, double water bottle mounts
    Rear triangle Fuji Altair 2, custom tapered 7005 aluminum with Edge S-bend MonoStay, Cold forged dropout with CNC'D disc mount and replaceable hanger
    Fork Rock Shox Reba 29 SL Air, 80mm Travel w/Remote PopLoc
    Crankset TruVativ Firex 3.1 GXP, 22/32/44T
    Bottom bracket TruVativ GXP Exterior Bearing System
    Pedals Xpedo MF-3 clipless
    Front derailleur SRAM X.9, 34.9mm
    Rear derailleur SRAM X.9
    Shifters SRAM X.9 Trigger, 27-speed
    Cassette SRAM PG-950, 11-34T 9-speed
    Chain KMC HG-73
    Front hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    Rear hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    Spokes 14G Stainless Steel
    Rims WTB Lazer Disc Trail 29", 32H DW w/ Single Eyelet
    Tires Continental Mountain King 29 X 2.2
    Tubes CST Lite presta
    Brake set Avid Juicy 7 Hydraulic Disc, 160R/185F mm rotor
    Brake levers Avid Juicy 7
    Headset V.P. A-42E 1 1/8" Press Fit Integrated, 30mm spacers
    Handlebar Fuji Pro Riser 15mm double butted aluminum 31.8mm
    Stem Fuji Pro Ultalite Forged Alloy +/- 7 degree
    Tape/grip Fuji Dual Density Kraton rubber
    Saddle WTB Rocket V Comp SE
    Seat post Fuji Forged Al micro adjust, 350mm
    Seat clamp Fuji Superlite Alloy, 34.9mm Laser Etched

Description S M L
    A SEAT TUBE, CENTER TO TOP 431.0 482.0 533.0
    C-2 EFFECTIVE TOP TUBE LENGTH 584.2 602.0 622.3
    D CHAIN STAY 455.0 455.0 455.0
    E BB DROP 60.0 60.0 60.0
    F FORK OFFSET 47.0 47.0 47.0
    G HEAD TUBE ANGLE 71.0 71.0 71.0
    H SEAT TUBE ANGLE 73.0 73.0 73.0
    I WHEEL BASE 1083.0 1100.9 1121.8
    J STAND OVER HEIGHT 785.1 807.0 837.2
    K BB HEIGHT 306.9 306.9 306.9
    HEAD TUBE LENGTH 120.0 125.0 140.0
    STEM LENGTH 100.0 110.0 110.0
    STEM ANGLE 7.0 7.0 7.0
    HANDLEBAR WIDTH 640.0 670.0 670.0
    HANDLEBAR RISE 15.0 15.0 15.0
    CRANK LENGTH 175.0 175.0 175.0
    TOE CLIP SIZE CLIPLESS CLIPLESS CLIPLESS
    SEAT POST DIAMETER 31.6 31.6 31.6

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    They're the same except for the hydroforming of the downtube. The Fuji has a trianular hydroformed tube. The Windsor uses oval tubes from what I understand. I should be picking up my Cliff 29 Team at Cycle Spectrum in about a week.

I would suggest not waiting too long on the Windsor. I waited too long and they sold out just before Christmas. It's been 4 months to get them back in stock...

Bob

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've had my Windsor Cliff 29 Team for two weeks now. Never ridden anything else but I really am please with my purchase.

Like someone already said..later on if I get more into mtn biking, I can always upgrade the frame and possibly the wheels/ tires bur for now I'm happy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Picking on up an 08 in a couple weeks. Cheap. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I picked up my Fuji Tahoe Pro at the end of May and got a pretty sweet deal.
    That's where the fun ended.

First ride: ghost shifting like the bike was processed. Tried to get up a hill and the bike would just slide down a few gears. It would not stay in gear if you were in the middle of any ring. Took it back to the shop for adjustments.

Second ride: started ghost shifting and then heard a loud 'thwack!' and the derailleur hanger had snapped in half. Coasted, walked and was pushed/pulled home by a buddy. (I still own him so many beers....) Back to the shop again for a week.

Third ride: Chain breaks. Not at the quick release but at a factory link. Looong walk back to car and drove back to shop. Shop owners getting sick of seeing me.

Forth ride (after 1 week in shop and new chain), hit a rut at the bottom of a fire trail, frame bends and breaks.

I've walked this bike down more trails its been ridden on. Maybe I got a bad apple, but I'm not pleased. I'm waiting to see Fuji will take care of this under warrenty. If not, I'm not getting another.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A little advice....don't go to Vegas any time soon!
    -Darrell

'09 Windsor Cliff 29 Team
    SRAM X-9
    Rock Shox Reba
    Juicy Seven

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cementum
    A little advice....don't go to Vegas any time soon!
    HA!
    I'm staying away from sharp objects and open flames.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast