mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Fuji Reveal 1.1 - Would like some opinions

Hey guys, recently got into MTB again and am looking to get a full suspension bike. I live in Miami. Not many mountains down here, so I wont be going downhill all the time. Parks we got have climbs and obstacles. I bought a Fuji Nevada 1.5 26er hardtail about 4 years ago, I've ridden it a lot and I love it. I saw this Fuji Reveal 1.1 at my local bike shop for $1k and was wondering what you guys think. I look at the specs and they seem pretty decent, but I'm no expert. Maybe there is something I'm missing.

Here is the link to the bike:

Fuji Bikes | MOUNTAIN | TRAIL | REVEAL 27.5 1.1

Let me know what you guys think, thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Based on everything you've said, I don't see why you aren't keeping your money and sticking with your HT. Don't let your inner "bargain hunter" get you something you never knew you needed and don't resort to letting others find reasons for you to pull the trigger on something you're unsure about.

If you're aching for fresh gear, I'd suggest this (considering your area):

Niner Ros 9 Plus NX Jenson 2016 Bike > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA (though, I'd convert it to singlespeed)

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I feel like I need something better than my bike. The trails here have lots of roots and rocks so I'd like some suspension and bigger wheels. Just dont wanna spend $3k+ on a bike, and this one seems comparable to some bikes around the $1500-2000 price range.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The reality of it is that you should make the most out of the limited trail features you have. You shouldn't think to counter them; you should treat them as opportunities to have fun. FS isn't generally for making your bike cushy like a couch, it's for keeping your wheels on the ground to maintain control, such as when you're blasting through bumps on a descent (example). The suggestion I made to you in my last post would likely make you purposely aim to hit the obstacles, purely for fun.

Best way to handle roots and rocks is to just stand and suspend your own body with your arms and legs, letting the bike go over them (same technique no matter if you have FS or HT). Frankly, it's more satisfying to ride with less perceived help from your bike, claiming that it's more technique than the bike.

The most cushy FS bike I've ridden was the Ibis Mojo 3, and no other FS bike I've tried comes close to matching its ability to iron out the trail. That trait actually turned me off--it's not because I'm specifically against it, it's just that I know that I'd eventually feel jaded on it, and would then suffer from a sort of buyer's remorse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I just picked up the Fuji Reveal 1.1 from Bikes Direct for $1099 shipped. Can't wait to get it in next week!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by flewbye View Post
    I just picked up the Fuji Reveal 1.1 from Bikes Direct for $1099 shipped. Can't wait to get it in next week!
    have you had a chance to ride it yet?? what do think the widest tire you could fit on there 2.8 possibly?

not much info no this bike out there but looks like a great deal

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
    have you had a chance to ride it yet?? what do think the widest tire you could fit on there 2.8 possibly?

not much info no this bike out there but looks like a great deal
    I really like it. The bike feels light and really well balanced. The finishing and construction is top notch. The bike even came with the remote lockout kit for the front fork which was not in the original listing, so essentially a free upgrade worth about $80. The suspension is smooth and easy to adjust. It doesn't come with pedals so I put some Raceface Chester's on it. Other than that I will probably leave it stock for a while. Seat is comfy, grips are secured, not slip ons, Schwalbe tires are grippy. Schimano brakes quiet and solid and Deore drivetrain is very snappy. It has attachment points for drop seat cables. I've only been able to ride the bike for about 2 hours on access roads and single track, but so far I'm really extatic about the purchase. I can take a close up of the wheel clearance to let you decide about plus tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I really like it. The bike feels light and really well balanced. The finishing and construction is top notch. The bike even came with the remote lockout kit for the front fork which was not in the original listing, so essentially a free upgrade worth about $80. The suspension is smooth and easy to adjust. It doesn't come with pedals so I put some Raceface Chester's on it. Other than that I will probably leave it stock for a while. Seat is comfy, grips are secured, not slip ons, Schwalbe tires are grippy. Schimano brakes quiet and solid and Deore drivetrain is very snappy. It has attachment points for drop seat cables. I've only been able to ride the bike for about 2 hours on access roads and single track, but so far I'm really extatic about the purchase. I can take a close up of the wheel clearance to let you decide about plus tires.
    thanks for the reply, I just came back from the bike store looking, looks like lots of room in the back on the lower section of the swing arm, the top section looked a little tighter though, really nice looking bike, reminds me of a santa cruz heckler

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yeah, seems like about about 3/8" clearance on each side of the Schwalbe 2.25" tires. I'm measuring a 2.75" clearance on the upper portion where the tire would line up so I'm not sure a 2.8 would fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    man thanks for that a 2.5 would probably work then, I just switched from a 2.2 to a 2.5 on my 29 and was amazed, so I want to make sure it could handle at least a 2.5 you think that would work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I think, looks like you would have about an eighth of clearance on each side of a 2.5". You are right, spitting image of the Heckler, but about a $grand cheaper. I also can't see any difference between 2016 and 2017 except Manitou vs Roxshox and paint color. Bikes Direct is selling the 2016.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I was wondering about the difference of the 16 and 17, glad you said that. what size did you get and how tall are you, I sat on a xl and thought it was a good fit for me wich is unusall because I am 5'11 with a 33 inseam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I have a 17"/small-medium and I'm 5'8 with a 31.5" inseam. I'm guessing you would be a 19"/large.

No good in rock gardens..
    It got a fairly positive review in Mountain Biking Australia magazine. The criticisms were of the less than fully active suspension (it's a single pivot, after all), some flex in the rear end, and some degree of pedal feedback when in the small chainring.

Not really make or break things IMO and having owned a single pivot (Cannondale Rush) the lack of half a dozen or more small pivot points and bearings leads to a very low maintenance and generally creek free rear suspension system.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I can take some more detailed pictures if anyone needs them.

Fuji Reveal 1.1 - Would like some opinions-img_20170402_1858061.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I did the same, and picked up the Reveal 1.1 from bikes direct a week or two ago. I'm having trouble engaging the lockout on the Radium Expert shock in the rear. Has this given you any trouble?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Here's the photo. Other team that, it seems great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    According to the manual it is a "soft lockout" therefore there will be some movement when enough force is applied. Essentially the lockout just firms up the rear shock, it's not a true lockout. So yeah, I had the same issues as you. I don't find a real need to use the rear lockout around here. I use the front lockout a lot more probably because it's so convenient with the remote lever.

One thing, make sure you go through with some black electrical tape and put it on the frame where any cables could rub. It didn't take very long for me to wear through the paint on the head tube before I spotted it. The chain will slap the inside of the lower rear arm and take the paint off so that is another good spot for tape.

Also, my grips needed tightening a little from the factory install.

I checked the air pressure of the front fork with the bike upside down which was a bad idea because the fork has 5cc's of semibath oil used to lubricate the piston which came out of the valve into my pump. Not a big deal, it's easy to replace and is just 5w40 synthetic motor oil, but don't check fork pressure with the bike upside down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    According to the manual it is a "soft lockout" therefore there will be some movement when enough force is applied. Essentially the lockout just firms up the rear shock, it's not a true lockout. So yeah, I had the same issues as you. I don't find a real need to use the rear lockout around here. I use the front lockout a lot more probably because it's so convenient with the remote lever.

One thing, make sure you go through with some black electrical tape and put it on the frame where any cables could rub. It didn't take very long for me to wear through the paint on the head tube before I spotted it. The chain will slap the inside of the lower rear arm and take the paint off so that is another good spot for tape.

Also, my grips needed tightening a little from the factory install.

I checked the air pressure of the front fork with the bike upside down which was a bad idea because the fork has 5cc's of semibath oil used to lubricate the piston which came out of the valve into my pump. Not a big deal, it's easy to replace and is just 5w40 synthetic motor oil, but don't check fork pressure with the bike upside down.
    Good tip, I'll avoid doing that upside down. Thanks!