Thread: Fuji Panic

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Fuji Panic

I wasn't really wondering if this is an okay bike to buy, I've already owned it for a year or so. What I did want to know is whether the frame is worth it to just upgrade parts. I use it for street riding, mostly, but I also do North Shore- style skinnies and drops when I get the chance. I don't plan on doing any really major drops and stuff on it, probably the hardest drops I'll ever do on it will be about 8-10 feet. So, should I keep the frame and just upgrade parts, or is the frame quality not worth it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    if you list the parts you already..then we could tell you if it worth the upgrade

on a side note I have always like the frame..I almost got one for urban/street riding

Portland, OR
    I think your going to be much better off just tossing that fuji frame, they really skimp out on their mtb's thats why no one rides them. all they really care about is their road bikes.

get something nicer like a norco shore series. then upgrade your components.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Parts

Quote Originally Posted by NEARMTB
    if you list the parts you already..then we could tell you if it worth the upgrade

on a side note I have always like the frame..I almost got one for urban/street riding
    Thanks for replying, I really like the geometry of the frame too. The bike just has whatever parts came with it from the factory. The fork is Fuji's brand, "X zoom" or something. It's got gripshift, average V brakes, Kenda tires (Kolossal, i think). Sorry I don't really know about the rims, cranks or drivetrain, but those bits have served me pretty well so far. It's in the shop right now because I had to have the rear wheel realigned, and that rim is a little warped too. I have a feeling I'll upgrade that wheel soon anyway, I seem to have trouble with breaking rear axles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the advice Todd, I'll consider it.

ride hard take risks
    i agree with todd_freeride especially after reading you parts list, bottom feeder parts.

Portland, OR
    is it one of these ? if you have the comp, then some of the components are going to be okay, if you have the putty colored one ... just toss the whole thing. a lot of these parts arent even suppost to take the abuse of a skatepark. theres a reason they called it the panic because you're going to panic when you're up in the air and your bike falls apart
    Attached Images Attached Images

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    is it one of these ? if you have the comp, then some of the components are going to be okay, if you have the putty colored one ... just toss the whole thing. a lot of these parts arent even suppost to take the abuse of a skatepark. theres a reason they called it the panic because you're going to panic when you're up in the air and your bike falls apart
    haha, yeah, it's the putty one. that's the thing, I'd like to just switch parts in as the bad ones fall out, really... the frame is the same as the comp, so if i do just upgrade components, won't I still end up with a better bike in the end? I don't really have the money to dish out on an entirely new bike, and as i said, i really like this frame.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by mattt
    haha, yeah, it's the putty one. that's the thing, I'd like to just switch parts in as the bad ones fall out, really... the frame is the same as the comp, so if i do just upgrade components, won't I still end up with a better bike in the end? I don't really have the money to dish out on an entirely new bike, and as i said, i really like this frame.

well the frame probably could take some abuse. first thing, what kind of riding do you want to do with this bike ? and the first thing you should probably replace is the fork. I wouldent trust a fuji bike, I would be frightened to ride a fuji fork. if you want to do just like street/park/DJ riding, a good way to go is to get a rigid fork. meaning it desnt have suspension. you can usually pick those up for around $80.00 a good place to check is http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/ look for some used strong cranks, also you will need a new bottem bracket to fit them. eventually you could get a different wheelset, those can be cheap if you look around.

just exactly how much can you spend on upgades ?

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I won't be doing any serious jumping, I ride mostly street and some trialsy stuff, and I like north shore-type stuff when i can find it. I'll be doing drops with this bike, so i don't think a rigid fork is the best idea, but nothing super huge... 8-10 ft or so tops.I'm thinking about maybe getting a (better) fork with a little more travel, do you think a 130mm will fit with the frame?
    I don't plan on upgrading everything all at once, probably just sections at a time. Currently, I'm willing to spend about 100 canadian on a new something.
    Right now, I'm looking at a bashguard and some proper pedals (right now I'm stuck with those crappy plastic ones ) , probably I'll get a new fork next.

ride hard take risks
    8-10 foot drops you better get a real bike, thats some good height.

dog meat ankles
    Fuji sucks.

That's all I can really say.

If it doesn't give you any headaches, let it be and ride it.

If it needs work, chuck it and get a P or a Chase.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by mattt
    I won't be doing any serious jumping, I ride mostly street and some trialsy stuff, and I like north shore-type stuff when i can find it. I'll be doing drops with this bike, so i don't think a rigid fork is the best idea, but nothing super huge... 8-10 ft or so tops.I'm thinking about maybe getting a (better) fork with a little more travel, do you think a 130mm will fit with the frame?
    I don't plan on upgrading everything all at once, probably just sections at a time. Currently, I'm willing to spend about 100 canadian on a new something.
    Right now, I'm looking at a bashguard and some proper pedals (right now I'm stuck with those crappy plastic ones ) , probably I'll get a new fork next.
    I really dont think that 130 is a good idea at all, look how raked out the fork is with 100mm. for 100cdn, save for a better bike, ride this thing as it is, fix parts that brake but dont spend any serious money on it (aka a new fork)

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1