mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Fuji Mt. Fuji Pro Frame

I've had mine for about a month and a half, and I was just wondering if anyone out there has been riding theirs for a significant length of time and can tell me anything about it. Specifically, I'm wondering about durability issues. I prefer XC style riding, but most trails include some descents, and I have to admit I'm a little unsure of how the carbon fiber will hold up. So far, it feels INCREDIBLE, and reminds me of the CroMoly bike I had when I was a kid, but I do get a little nervous anytime I drop more than 4 or 6 inches.

I'm pretty new to MTBing, but as I work in a bike shop, I figured that I may as well get myself something nice while I had the discount.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Why did you buy a bike if you believe there are durability issues? This makes no sense to me at all. How can you have fun and enjoy riding if you think your XC Race bike is going to fail under you?
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't know anything specifically about the Fuji. But with carbon fiber you just need to be careful of abrasion. So be careful not to wreck it and scrape it against some big rocks. And make sure you do a good job of protecting it from chain slap/suck as this will chew up the chainstays fast. Other than that, carbon can be really strong and stand up to a lot of abuse. It can be much stronger than aluminum. So I wouldn't worry too much about durablity as long as your don't get any gouges in the carbon.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think I worded my question poorly...Also, I think it has to do a bit with my confusion over the categorizing of mtbs. The frame feels exceptional while spinning along, and even better driving up a hill. When I go off the small drops (I don't think that's the word I want, maybe you all could fill me in? When the trail sort of goes away, but not too far) it's rock solid - like a said, more reminiscent of an older cromoly bike than the cheapish Al frame I was riding before, which felt less solid than harsh. It doesn't seem like there is any energy lost when I'm pedaling, and the response is so immediate that I can't really imagine any sort of weakness in the frame. I've even taken it off a couple small jumps - small = ramp is about 2 feet tall, and landing is maybe 8 or so feet out from the ramp - and it's been a champ. I've even had a couple falls (stuck in clips while trying to climb up some bare rock, etc.) at slow speeds and all that happened is a little bit of scratching on my cranks.

It wasn't until I started reading through forums and frame reviews where people were talking about cracked frames (from several companies and made from both Al and carbon) that I became nervous. I feel like a MTB of any configuration ought to be able to handle some moderate bouncing around (I don't think I'm the kind of person that's going to be flying off of 5 foot ledges), but as I said, I'm just getting into the sport on a more-than-occasional basis, and I'm just trying to figure out what XC manufacturers have in mind when designing these sorts of frames. Would general, no-body-armor-required XC or medium trail riding ever come up with enough force (barring a crash) that a frame could be expected to fail?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    OK, that's sort of what I thought - it's similar to the conventional knowledge regarding roadbike frames, which I'm more familiar with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've been riding a Mt. Fuji for two seasons now. The bike is great. It's fast and light. You name it i've hit or crashed on it. I just recently brought it in for a tune up. I had to change hanger, chain, grips no big deal. The frame is strong and i would recommend it to anyone. Cover your chainstay. I used rubber mastic tape from lowes.

mtbr member
    I had 2007 one for almost a year. I had nothing bad to say. I ran it at all of our trails, singletracks, rockgarderns, light downhill(not drops), etc. It is beautifull and fairly light. But I had seen 2 frames broke on our trails; one at the headset and the other at the watercage. Probably it was missuse, but they claim it was not. Anyway I sold mine , not because of fear but for funding my 575. Ride yours, use common sense(use for what was designed XC) and you will enjoy it a lot!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, I've been riding it quite a bit, and I'm loving it. The last few weeks I've been scrambling to get some paperwork together for my thesis, but for a couple month there I was riding 4 times a week. The bike is just a blast. As I got over the new bike thing - scratched the clearcoat in a crash, that sort of thing - I've just forgotten about it. I don't do anything too nuts - no 20 foot gaps or double overhead drops for me - and it's PERFECT. Thanks to everyone who posted their experience! I think this bike is going to be with me for a looooooong time.