mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Fuji Diamond RC -- any good?

An lbs has a 2005 Fuji Diamond RC on clearance for $1700 ($3300 MSRP). It seems to be a much better deal than comparable bikes and has some really good components. It weighs 27.5 lbs. It has a horst fsr suspension.

I'm a road biker that wants to mix in some mtn biking, but I don't have enough experience to give the bike a good evaluation.

It scares me that it's priced so low AND there are almost no reviews or posts on mtbr.com.

I'd love to hear any feedback good or bad.

As it is, I'm thinking for a 1st bike I should just get a Specialized since they have tons of reviews and very good ratings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Wink Take your time....

Well you're are doing the right thing by asking here. Don't just get a Specialized for your 1st Mtn bike because it's popular either. Get the right bike for you. Specialized is a great brand and has a good track record but they may not have a model that really suits you. As for the Fuji, they always been more popular as a road bike and don't get much play here. For 1700 though there should be plenty of leftover 05's in a truer to the sport of Mtn brand. Specialized, Giant, Kona, Iron Horse, are some examples of non-boutique brands that have great models to choose from. State what type of riding you want to do. XC style meaning fast open off-road with small drops and jumps or more all mountain meaning tight single track, rocks, roots, bigger drops. The RC looks to be a XC oriented bike. The fork is ok the X-Fusion shock I have never heard of but that doesn't mean it's a bad shock. The bike is a 3-4" travel design that frankly is way overpriced and then discounted to appear to be a great value. I'm not real big on the rear suspension design either. It appears a lot of stress would be applied to the seat tube especially if/when it bottoms. Bottom line is I would steer away from it and spend some time doing some more research before you buy. Then ride before you buy and be patient. Good luck!
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Great Feedback LeapordDog -- thanks.

Btw, I'm looking for a light XC bike.

The link for the RC is http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=31

Freshly Fujified

LeapordDog makes sense

I looked at the specs on the bike and would agree with everything LD says. OK bike, overpriced retail, sale price nothing to jump about. The placement of the rear shock is interesting, and I'd agree that there will be issues with stress on the seat tube.

Lots of deals to be ahd out there right now. Keep on searching and you'll come up with something that will suit your needs.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Freshly Fujified

For comparison sake

Bianchi makes good road bikes, and again are not well known for their mountain bikes. The Bianchi Ibex has 4 reviews here, all of which are good. If you want a bike with race geometry, decent specs at a very good price, here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-bianchi-ibe...QQcmdZViewItem

There's a good chance bidding on this will be minimal, if at all, so at $800, it's a good buy, IMO.

Here's the link to the bike on Bianchi's web site:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/ibex.html

As an FYI, this bike is not in Bianchi's 2006 line up, at least it's not listed on the web site currently.

Again, just a decent deal I thought I'd pass along in the spirit of the thread.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Portland, OR
    you should be scared dude. the reason its so low is because fuji makes a terrible mountain bike. I was in a huge conference with fuji (and my job) they wouldent even talk about their mountain bikes.

for 1700.00 theres so much else out there. keep looking. personally, if I had 1700.00 i'd get a Kona Coiler, but those are around 40 LBS ...but a damn nice rig, wont ever break on ya
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    The spec list looks pretty darn good for $1700, so I'm not sure what everyone is harping about. Especially considering it sounds like no one's actually had experience with the bike. Component wise, it looks like a $3000 msrp bike and isn't filled in with inhouse components either. So the only question is the frame design. And the frame design doesn't look that outrageous to me, especially for XC riding for someone coming as a roadie who wants to mix in some off road. It looks like a scalpel with a horst and a little more travel to me or a mid 90's Specialized FSR. I'm not sure what's with the suggestion for the Coiler, which is a great bike, but a freeride rig really doesn't sound very suitable for your intended riding.

Would I drop $3000 on this bike? Probably not. But I think there are other things you should consider. Are you buying the bike from good LBS? If they are one who are going to take care of anything that comes up, since everything else looks good, dont write it off immediately because of what you are reading here.

Worse case, you are buying it new, and you will have a warranty on it. I was thinking 27lbs looks pretty heavy for a bike of that spec, and according to the detailed specifications it's 24.5 lbs, so I'm not sure which figure is accurate. 24.5 lbs doesn't look surprising considering the spec--and that is way lighter than most everything else at $1700. Do a search for Fuji here, I dont think their reputation is that poor either.

http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/specifications.asp?id=31

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the alternate opinion Chupacabras. I also thought the component set was really good and haven't really found any other 2005 bikes for that price that have those kinds of components. For $1700 they tend to be mechanical v-brakes, LX, etc. It also seemed that having the horst platform adds more credibility to it.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough mtn biking experience to know if it rides like a good bike, so I'll probably buy a tried and true bike instead of the Fuji. Especially since I'm thinking it would be a lot harder to sell on ebay if it didn't work out (I sure wish ebay displayed completed listings for longer than 15 days)

As far as the weight. 27.5 lbs is what it weighed on the scale. Do FS mtn bikes really weight 25 lbs? None that I've seen in the stores seem to hit that weight despite what their catalog might say.

mtbr member

What about this...

Quote Originally Posted by walkman
    Thanks for the alternate opinion Chupacabras. I also thought the component set was really good and haven't really found any other 2005 bikes for that price that have those kinds of components. For $1700 they tend to be mechanical v-brakes, LX, etc. It also seemed that having the horst platform adds more credibility to it.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough mtn biking experience to know if it rides like a good bike, so I'll probably buy a tried and true bike instead of the Fuji. Especially since I'm thinking it would be a lot harder to sell on ebay if it didn't work out (I sure wish ebay displayed completed listings for longer than 15 days)

As far as the weight. 27.5 lbs is what it weighed on the scale. Do FS mtn bikes really weight 25 lbs? None that I've seen in the stores seem to hit that weight despite what their catalog might say.
    If it were my money, I'd go for this: Ibex Apogee XT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by walkman

Race oriented XC bikes can certainly get that low--those generally in the 3 inch travel range. I would expect to a pay pretty hefty sum msrp (i would guess somewhere in the range of $4000+) for something sub ~25lbs stock from one of the big brands. It's certainly easy enough, and cheaper, to get lighter by building a bike up yourself. The mark up is pretty good once you start paying that kind of money.

My own Trek Fuel is about sub 24 lbs, and I've probably spent less than half that. Look around here, and you'll find a lot of people with even lighter builds. Generally though, if you move closer to the 'all mountain' range of bikes at 4-5in, the lightest ones are starting around 25-6lbs with custom builds.

I think even if you were the part that Fuji, you could make up some of that 1700. The Richtchy WCS stem/bar/post ~ $70, Wheelset ~$300, Fork ~$270, XTR RD ~ $80, XT Dual Control + Brakes ~ $200, Cranks ~$150, Saddle ~$30, Tires ~ $30, Cassette ~$20 That's about $1150 right there. But withh ebay you never know...dress up your auction and you might even get more than that. Ofcourse, that's looking at your parts new and that still leaves you with the frame though--which you probably aren't going to get near $550 to break you even.

Anyway, if you are looking to spend $1700, that will probably get you a FS bike in the 27-28 lbs range you can slowly trim down as you replace components as needed. Regardless of weight, with the right deal you certainly can get a nice enough FS rig.