mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Fuji Deal...Fuji for the Newbie???

Hey Folks,
    My local shop is moving and has a Fuji (Tahoe I think) new for $700. It's a comp hydraulic disc with what seems to be a very nice component package. It also has the break levers that act as shifters (not a big fan of that).
    Here is my problem. I'm a MX enduro guy that has toyed around with MB for a while, nothing serious. I'm wanting to get more into single track XC and I know I will be beating the heck out of whatever I get (myself included I'm sure).
    My budget is around $750 and I want to go hardtail. Can anyone offer any guidance on whether I should go with the Fuji or should I go with one of the other more popular brands I have looked at (Felt, Specialized, Trek)? I just can't find a whole lot of info about the Fuji but it sure does feel nice compared to my current Nishiki.
    Thanks

EGGROLL!!!
    I don't have experience with the Fuji itself, but if you look at one bike to the next, the biggest thing you're going to nitice is how they feel when you ride them. You can get a very nice hard tail for 750, and I'd recommend trying to ride several of them and make a decision that way. Comparing components can also give you an idea of whether you're getting a good deal, but riding the bike is the best way to decide. Good luck!

No good in rock gardens..
    What eggraid said. It's a pretty competetive market at that price range, most bikes will be specced fairly similarly and frames will be much the same. Try a few out to see how they fit you and feel (make sure you try the right size for you!) and get back to us with a short list for us to go over any component shortfalls.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....