UPDATE

Specs

Frame- 2009 Fuji Reveal 1.0
    Wheels- Mavic XM819/Industry Nine Enduro & Mavic EN521/Sram X9
    Tires- Kenda 2.35 Nevegal UST DTC & Geax 2.2 Saguaro
    Fork- 2011 Rockshox Revelation 130mm 20mm
    Shock- 2013 Fox Float CTD Evo
    Crank- Shimano SLX M665 2x9 22T 36T
    Derail- Shimano SLX M667 & Sram X7 Long (to be changed)
    Cassette- Shimano XT M750 11-32T
    Brakes- Avid BB5 with SD7 (to be changed)
    Stem- Easton Havoc 31.8 65mm & Easton Havoc 750mm 9* sweep

Bike has been finished, except for a new seat, post, and brakes. She got a trial run of about 3 miles and then off to a 12 hour race! Last minute fixes were in order. I had to run to the LBS to get a crank spacer, headset spacer, and the star nut adjusted, all in between laps! Not to mention a screw for my cleat. She managed to finish 5 laps for almost 40 miles! All of that and set PRs on nearly every trail/climb I came across. I was VERY glad I was able to ride my FS vs my HT. the trails were very root filled, and 40 miles on my hardtail would be killer. On the to do list is get some more cash for grips, brakes, dropper post, new saddle, and dial in the fork.

Original
    Moving from a Cannondale F5 hardtail to a Fuji Reveal frame. Got a good deal frame and Fox Float CTD for $365 on ebay, frame is new, take-off. Considering a Float for the front, seen a couple Revelations for a good deal, too. I'll be running 2x9 with a 22 36t shimano SLX crank 170mm and XT 11-32 cassette. For anyone curious this will give me a 1.3 granny ratio and 6.4 top end ratio, plenty for me! I'll post some picture of the build, my derails, brakes, and wheels will transfer for the time being. Only big part I have left is the fork.

Building a Fuji Reveal 1.0-%24_57.jpg

For anyone wondering, the frame(small) and Shock weigh in at 2990 grams, about 6 lb 9 oz.
    Last edited by Gibbsinator; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Sweet post more pictures of the build

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have been on vacation all this wheel and ordered the majority of the parts.

Stem: Easton Havoc 65mm
    Handlebar: Easton Havoc 765mm (not sure on rise, may cut, not sure)
    Fork: 2011 Rockshox Revelation RL Dual Air 150mm (bought 10mm spacers to play
    Bottom Cup: Cane Creek EC44/40 to convert from 1 1/8 to taper headset.
    Cables: Jagwire kit with red outer to match :P
    Shifters: X9 Front and Rear
    Front Derail: Shimano M667 Slx 2x9 specific

I have been trying to decide between BB7 and some decent hydros, but as far as I can tell, the BB7s are cheap, reliable, and simple. I already have BB5s and speed dials.

mtbr member
    Congrats on a good deal. I have a 2010 3.0 and love it. I'm running it as a B6er now still with 130mm travel and a Pushed Fox RP23 Kashima and it still climbs well without locking out front or rear.

Just an FYI, of the '09/'10 Reveals only the '09 1.0 came from the factory with 140mm forks. All others including the '10 1.0 came with 130mm forks. You're starting your build with a 150mm tapered and that Cane Creek cup is going to add nearly another 10mm taking your geometry approx 30mm taller than Fuji specs. You might find the front end light and wandering a bit on steeper climbs.

Go for the hydraulics. They're pretty much set 'em and forget 'em except for changing pads - no cable stretch or dialing adjustments plus easier pressure modulation. You won't regret it. Enjoy your ride; it's a great bike.
    >>"Every chance I get!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. The fork is a 150mm but the advantage of the Revelation is I can add spacers easily to adjust the travel. I noticed that most of the Reveals were specced with 130mm forks. I'm aware of the added height I will get from the bottom cup, I plan to tinker and play with it. Probably starting at 130mm on the fork. Which will give me 140mm practically, The published HT angle was 69.5*, which is shared on the '10 and '09, which may not be so accurate since the '09 has an additional 10mm extra travel. Either way, I can adjust the the travel to find what fits me the best after a few rides.

You said yours climbs well, that's great to hear, You have a 650b up front? So you are adding a little bit of extra height to the front also?

Edit: Also curious about your stem/bar dimensions and if they affected your control on climbs/descents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsinator View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. The fork is a 150mm but the advantage of the Revelation is I can add spacers easily to adjust the travel. I noticed that most of the Reveals were specced with 130mm forks. I'm aware of the added height I will get from the bottom cup, I plan to tinker and play with it. Probably starting at 130mm on the fork. Which will give me 140mm practically, The published HT angle was 69.5*, which is shared on the '10 and '09, which may not be so accurate since the '09 has an additional 10mm extra travel. Either way, I can adjust the the travel to find what fits me the best after a few rides.

You said yours climbs well, that's great to hear, You have a 650b up front? So you are adding a little bit of extra height to the front also?

Edit: Also curious about your stem/bar dimensions and if they affected your control on climbs/descents.
    Once you get it set up and dialed in let me know what travel you decide on. I've got a tapered X-fusion Velvet set @ 140mm and that same Cane Creek cup. With my 650b that combo would probably put me in the neighborhood of 30mm over spec too.

I'm 5'9" & ride a medium (19"?) with a 80mm stem (came w/ 110mm stem). Bars are 710mm and about 1" spacers between headset and stem. Riding position is pretty upright which is great for my troublesome lower back. I've got a Gravity Dropper so I'm able to get full leg extension for climbing on 175mm cranks in up position.

I did notice the front end felt a little lighter after 650B front wheel but no wandering with head down & on nose of the saddle. Front roll over is improved but 26" rear can get hung up on roots sometimes if I don't maintain momentum. Downs? Well controlled especially with GD lowered & weight way back it inspires confidence.
    >>"Every chance I get!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitzhym View Post
    Once you get it set up and dialed in let me know what travel you decide on. I've got a tapered X-fusion Velvet set @ 140mm and that same Cane Creek cup. With my 650b that combo would probably put me in the neighborhood of 30mm over spec too.

I'm 5'9" & ride a medium (19"?) with a 80mm stem (came w/ 110mm stem). Bars are 710mm and about 1" spacers between headset and stem. Riding position is pretty upright which is great for my troublesome lower back. I've got a Gravity Dropper so I'm able to get full leg extension for climbing on 175mm cranks in up position.

I did notice the front end felt a little lighter after 650B front wheel but no wandering with head down & on nose of the saddle. Front roll over is improved but 26" rear can get hung up on roots sometimes if I don't maintain momentum. Downs? Well controlled especially with GD lowered & weight way back it inspires confidence.
    From what I could tell original spec was 90mm stem. I'm switching to a 65mm straight stem, will play with the heigth of it. Bars on the way are 765mm, those may get cut after some test riding. With a low stem I feel like I won't have any trouble getting weight forward on climbs. I was just looking at a Gravity Dropper, they look to be a solid choice. I won't be able to afford one immediately, but a dropper post is on the list for sure. Which post do you have and what are your thoughts? i'm leaning towards the turbo 3 position. I'm right around 5'7" height and grabbed a 17" S frame. I hope it fits well, I heard the sizes were a little understated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsinator View Post
    From what I could tell original spec was 90mm stem. I'm switching to a 65mm straight stem, will play with the heigth of it. Bars on the way are 765mm, those may get cut after some test riding. With a low stem I feel like I won't have any trouble getting weight forward on climbs. I was just looking at a Gravity Dropper, they look to be a solid choice. I won't be able to afford one immediately, but a dropper post is on the list for sure. Which post do you have and what are your thoughts? i'm leaning towards the turbo 3 position. I'm right around 5'7" height and grabbed a 17" S frame. I hope it fits well, I heard the sizes were a little understated.
    My mistake; my original stem was 100mm (I'm using it on my commuter build). As for the GD, I have the Classic 3" 2-position. It's a solid piece but I should have opted for 4". I've got a Tmars SD-419L which is just a GD knock off on my On One 45650B. It works well too if you need or want to keep expenses down.

My 1st Fuji was a '08 17" Outland RC build. It felt a little tight that's why I went with the 19" Reveal as a replacement. On tight turns my feet would sometimes interfere with the front wheel if I wasn't clipped in.Building a Fuji Reveal 1.0-hpim1180.jpg But I liked that build so much the Reveal was a no-brainer. Good luck with the build.
    >>"Every chance I get!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I haven't checked for sure but I expect the Reveal has a longer wheelbase, being an AM vs XC/Trail

Seems S came with 90mm M came with 100mm and L came with 110mm.
    Fuji Bikes - USA Archive This is helpful

Compared the wheelbase and top tube vs my current frame, which is an 18.7" L Cdale F5 100m HT. I will be losing just a little bit on each, about an 1" or so. However, I alwaysd thought this frame was a little big on me, and it has been impressive on descents, large cockpit made that easier. Just makes me more excited to ride it
    Last edited by Gibbsinator; 10-03-2014 at 12:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Update

Getting the remaining parts I need to get this bike rolling delivered on Monday, and I'm off work! Going to do a rebuild on the Revelation and install the travel spacers. Will be my first fork rebuild. Hopefully I'll be riding the rig later that day or Tuesday. I'm REALLY anxious to get her rolling. I have some 2.1 Nevegals that came on my hardtail I never really ran. Will probably use those off the bat before I invest in new tires. I'll post pictures of the parts and build

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Building a Fuji Reveal 1.0

Fork got an overhaul today, my first time servicing one. Waiting on the end caps to convert my front wheel. Then I should be ready to ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Build was recently finished, and the bike got a 40 mile introduction! Check 1st post.