mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Wink Which Bike Thread - KHS or Fuji ?

Hello,

I used to do bmx bike riding, and a lot of skateboarding. I have had a couple mountain bikes within the past two years. Both were cheapo garage sale bikes, they worked fine for going to school etc. Both bikes fell apart while I was riding them.

I want to get a nicer bike now, so I checked out the LBS and they carry primarily Fuji and KHS.

I plan to do riding around town / campus, probably riding down some steps and who knows etc, trails, off-road, I may want to do some jumps but not really any "hardcore" jumps.

My price range is ~400-450 max

I'm debating whether or not I need full suspension, If I did I would love to have "lock-outs" but I don't think anything like that is in my price range so I'm opting for a Hardtail. Also debating whether or not I need disc brakes, I didn't know there were disc brakes for bicycles until I went to the LBS.

Two bikes I've been looking at are

KHS - Alite150 - I have not found many reviews for this bike, LBS says it has good components for the price, disc breaks, etc I think it is an 07 model. Hardtail - $319.00

Fuji - a few different bikes
    Discovery 2 - Full suspension, I've read bad reviews I think its an 05 model - $349.00
    Odessa 1.0 - Hardtail lower end bike $249.00
    Outland - very nice bike but out of my price range ...

any suggestions?
    Anyone have experience with KHS?
    I am leaning toward the KHS bike as of now.

I have not rode any of these yet.

Thanks

mtbr member
    just get the best hardtail that you can afford. both Fuji and KHS are decent bikes, go with the bike that fits you the best.

dont even think about buying a full suspension bike unless you got about $1000 to spend, cheap fs bikes are just that, CHEAP!

mtbr member
    I have an 03 KHS Comp soft-tail and I just absolutely love it. One of the best feeling and riding bikes I've ever been on. And it's taken an obscene amount of abuse. I recently converted it to being my rigid single-speed. Can't say much for the Fuji Discovery other than DON'T get the full-suspension for only $300. You won't be happy with a $300 full-suspension, regardless of the brand. But I DO have a Fuji road bike and love it, as well.

They're probably both about the same quality level so go with what fits you best (have the bike shop help you out) and also go with the best component spec'd. Disc brakes are awesome, especially if you live a wet area. Here in Tucson they're maybe not AS needed, but regardless of the weather, they do stop better than rim brakes.

If you REALLY want a full-suspension and only can spend $450, then keep an eye on your local Craigslist and Ebay. I think you can get a nice used full-squishy for that price. I just recently purchased a 2003 Cannondale Jekyll for my girlfriend off Ebay for $450. Super bike.
    Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists - www.sdmb.org
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

mtbr member
    I have a Fuji Nevada 2.0 and can vouch for it being a really solid bike. I have ridden it almost daily for more than a year with only basic cleaning, maintenance. It sees Monte Sano's rough, rocky trails weekly, and has held up without issue to occasional drops to flat of 3'-4'.

It's been a great bike, and although I'm in the process of upgrading to an FS rig, I'll be keeping my Fuji HT around. We've had too many good times together...

conjoinicorned
    KHS!

they are very under-rated bikes, the customer service is good and the parts spec tends to be excellent.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Awesome, thanks for the great responses.

Sounds like both brands are good. I'll probably stick with the hardtail and look for something with disc brakes and quality components.

I'll have to go do some test rides.
    Glad to hear good responses for both brands.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Test ride and go with the one that feels the best
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a KHS but I was seriously considering a Fuji. You wont be dissapointed in either of them though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Boy this is a close one! I actually own one of each and both are amazing (and seriously underrated). I have a KHS AM1000 that has been getting beat down now for 3 years yet looks and feels like it did the day it left the showroom.

I also recently picked up a 2008 Fuji Reveal 2.0 and it has to be one of the best bikes I've ridden to date (including many $5000 + boutique bikes I built up over the years).

I have to agree wit hwhat others have been saying, either way you can't lose. I would try em both out to figure which fits you/ your riding needs better without having to worry about the company's reputations at all.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Woop

Thanks for all the suggestions / replies.
    I decided to get a 2008 Fuji Nevada 3.0, red. It was a tough decision but this bike will be great.

mtbr member
    Wrong choice, bud.

Awesome... now get out there and enjoy them thar trails!
    Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists - www.sdmb.org
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com