mtbr member
    Jan 2007

285lb Newbie... few Q's on GF, Ibex, Fuji

It has been a while since I have been a newbie at any of my hobbies but I'm excited to dig in and learn as much as I can. I am 26 and in grad school, rode a good deal of bmx until I was 16 but then got into cars and stuff. Just had a few questions on the following bikes. Most of my questions were answered using the search button but there is only so many times I can read a list of components and try and figure out a final decision. I pretty much have it narrowed down to the bikes below. I have looked at and read about the following along with Iron Horse, Forge, Trek, Giant, ect... so please just try and help me with my final choices UNLESS I have seriously missed something in my research. Looking to spend as close to $500 as possible no more than $600 out the door. I will be riding 10 minutes on campus back and forth to the gym and 2 miles back and forth to school when I move off campus. I plan to loose a good deal of weight using riding and definitely want to do light trails in and around Senecal Falls NY come spring. Not looking too upgrade anything on the bike for awhile, so its components will have to do. I do like the lockout front suspensions for road riding and think the discs are great too just not sure how necessary they are. Thanks for all the help, for all the posts I have already read and look forward to being part of the Mtbr community. -Ryan

I sat on a GF Marlin and really liked the feel, hoping to get to ride the Tass this weekend if the weather permits, also want to check out the specialized dealer too and make my final decision this weekend.

Gary Fisher Tassajara '06
    1.) Lbs has non disc version for 599... what is the most (w/tax) I should pay for it out the door?
    2.) What can I find a good set of disc brakes for online?

IBEX Alpine 550
    1.) Components compared to the Tass?

Fuji Nevada 1.0
    1.) Liked it but can't find any info or reviews and heard they don't make the best mountain bikes.

Specialized Hardrock comparable to the other two bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    the only bike I can respond to is the fisher, I have had 3 of them and feel they are as good as anything out there . Don't worry about the brakes the rim brakes will do you good . just save up for your next bike and move up the ladder when you use that one up.

Freshly Fujified

Welcome to the forums

Of the bikes you listed, the Alpine 550 and the Tass are going to be the closest match, and certainly the two you should choose from. Nothing against Fuji, but the Tass and Alpine have a better spec.

The Tass has better derailleurs and shifters than the Alpine. It has V brakes, but is easily upgraded to disc, as the wheelset is disc compatible. At your weight, you'll probably want discs. The fork is not going to do well at your weight.

The Alpine has a decent set of disc brakes, but the shifters and derailleurs are a step below the Tass. Same fork as the Tass, so the same weight issue is a concern. Wheelset is comparable to the wheelset on the Tass.

I wouldn't pay more than $500 or $550 for the Tass, and I would see if you can get them to put on a set of mechanical discs (NOT Tektros, insist on at least Hayes) and offer them $600 for it. This is assuming you like the Genesis geometry when you test ride it. If not, fall back on the Alpine and wait for the derailleurs to wear out and upgrade at that point.

Just my 2 cents as always. I hope this helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Former Bike Wrench

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Check out the Hardrock

I think you should really check out the Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc...given your weight, it will be an excellent choice because the Hardrock's are built very stoutly. The frames are really overbuilt, the fork has larger 30mm upper tubes so it will be stiffer, and the wheelset is a very durable one. In addition it comes with top quality Avid BB5 disc brakes...Avid makes the BEST mechanical disc brakes, hands down. I used to be a warranty manager at a couple of shops and Specialized bikes had the least warranties AND provided the best service when a warranty was needed (Other brands I worked with included Trek, Fisher, Lemond, Klein, Cannondale, Kona, and Rocky Mountain). I also used to work at a resort that had rental bikes and the Hardrock was what we rented. They held up beautifully!!! Best of all, you can be out the door at a hair under $600

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    All you guys are awesome! Thanks for the quick responses... I post on a few car forums and usually wait and grit my teeth on what kind of responses I will get. I am glad to see everyone is so helpful on this site. I did see more and more on the specialized and a freind of mine here on campus has one he enjoys... on the way to look at the Tass I'll stop and look at the specialized, see what they have left over. I appreciate the responses and I knew some components were the same and you guys quickly answered my questions about the other parts. This weekend can't come fast enough!

Company CSR
    Quote Originally Posted by psukydd
    Gary Fisher Tassajara '06
    1.) Lbs has non disc version for 599... what is the most (w/tax) I should pay for it out the door?
    2.) What can I find a good set of disc brakes for online?

IBEX Alpine 550
    1.) Components compared to the Tass?

For a more appropriate comparison between Gary Fisher and IBEX take a look at the 2007 IBEX Alpine 650. It matches the specs for the 2007 GF Tassajara, but adds Avid BB-5 discs and is the same price as you quoted for the '06 Tassajara with V-brakes. As well as the discs, the 650 includes a Manitou Slate Super fork (as does new '07 Tassajara... not sure of the specs of the '06, but I think it had an Axel fork like our Alpine 550). The Slate is going to be a better fork choice than the Axel for a larger rider.

Regards,
    Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

www.ibexbikes.com

Freshly Fujified

You read my mind, Jack

I was just going to recommend that the OP look at the 650. It only makes sense given the money they are looking to spend.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ok great, I did read about both 550 and 650 but again didnt know the exact differences. If that will work better for a larger rider then it makes sense. I am sure I will be happy we either. Going to check out the Tass tomorrow and now atleast I know what I should be looking for or what the trade off would be buying an 06 tass compared to 07 alpine 550 or 650. I don't remember the price of an 07 tass with discs but I am sures its around 850 so getting those specs in the 650 alpine for 600 is a great deal.

Cuánto pesa?

Smile My 2cents...............................

Ok great, I did read about both 550 and 650 but again didnt know the exact differences. If that will work better for a larger rider then it makes sense. I am sure I will be happy we either. Going to check out the Tass tomorrow and now atleast I know what I should be looking for or what the trade off would be buying an 06 tass compared to 07 alpine 550 or 650. I don't remember the price of an 07 tass with discs but I am sures its around 850 so getting those specs in the 650 alpine for 600 is a great deal.
    Ryan,
    The 650 Alpine would be choice if I had the chance to do it again..The 350 I bought back in 05" came with a lower entry level fork that I up-graded ASAP..At 240# it wasn't up to snuff..I'm down to 210, so get to riding Bro, its great fun even at 54years young

Jake

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks Jake... ofcourse its now snowing for basically the first time here in Seneca Falls NY so I dont know if I will be able to go ride anything tomorrow but hopefully.. if not I'll just call and order the alpine instead!

Cuánto pesa?
    Thanks Jake... ofcourse its now snowing for basically the first time here in Seneca Falls NY so I dont know if I will be able to go ride anything tomorrow but hopefully.. if not I'll just call and order the alpine instead!
    Ryan,
    Should you decide to go with IBEX, (click>) The IBEX board @ MTBR Forum

Jake

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If your lighter weight does that mean you don't need a more expensive [higher end] fork?
    I'm at 130.. which is mabye why lots of forks feel fine to me??

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well I went to three Lbs and checked out a few bikes today. I liked the rockhopper which was right in my price range. Also drove the hour to look at that left over Tass I was talking about. I acted at first like I was just looking for a bike and the salesman said well if you are interested I can do a little bit better off the 770 dollar price take (06 tass w/o disc). He goes in the back and comes back out and says the owner says 650 is the best we can do. I laughed and told him that was funny because the guy a spoke to on the phone two days ago (the same owner) said its been reduced to 670 then 630 then if I am really interested 599. Owner came out and we talked about putting on some discs (no tektras) and he said he could swap in some Juicy (5's i think) hydros for me... then told me it would simply bump the price up 275 on top of the 599. I proceeded to explain I have done my research and found 06 Tasses for 520 a few places and he said well buy it there then. He basically wouldnt come down off the 599 at all so after I thought it over for about 45 minutes I told him thanks and left. Its hard leaving when you have the cash in hand and you want that bike but I checked out the 07 Tasses and saw some of the components(like the fork) that would be coming on the Alpine 650 and it really made it easy. The 07 Tas was 899. I will get the money back in the bank and most likely be ordering the ibex come monday. I'll keep everyone informed. Its funny how everywhere I seem to go to buy something... vehicle, lcd tv, bike... the salemen just think you are dumb as rocks!

There's no app for this.

two thoughts

1) zip over to the Clydesdale forum and see what other bigger riders suggest and

2) Kona makes a bike specifically for you. It's over your budget, but look at it and then use it as a baseline to judge other rides you wish to consider

Hope that helps, take your time, make sure it fits, Jim