monster member

'06 Outland Build

Hey, I've started building up an '06 Fuji Outland frame. Didn't ride it yet, but it's looking purdy!

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/what-will-you-building-2009-a-481471-2.html#post5245180

mtbr member
    My 2008 Fuji RC bulid
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by damnitzhym; 03-04-2009 at 08:31 PM.

monster member
    Lookin good! How do you like it?
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Took it out last weekend, but the trails were still sloppy a week after a late snow so I stuck to the pavement. A lot less pedal bob than my Moto 600DS, but the big difference is the weight! If the Moto 700DS is 32lbs, my 600 must be closer to 34-35lbs. The Fuji weighs in @30.1lbs and even makes paved hill climbs much easier. Love the 1x9 drive train. Can't wait to hit some dirt. Weirwolf is supposed to handle the loose stuff real well. I'm hoping the Stout hooks up as well or better than the Velociraptor rear climbing roots and rocks.

Been riding the Moto after work. Hope to take the Fuji out tomorrow.

All-most Mountain
    great looking bike

monster member

Still Acquiring Parts

Well, Damnitzhim kinda stole my thunder with his nice looking, finished bike, but I've added a couple items to the build-up.

It's funny, in the past I was all about the performance/dollar but now that I've been riding mtb for almost 20 years, I'm going more for the looks. I couldn't pass up Elixir CRs and a Race Face stem to keep with the white/black/red theme.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Patience (more money doesn't hurt either) makes for a better build. From the looks of it you're probably gonna come in 4-5lbs lighter than my build. I only wish I could have gone with higher end components, but I'm satisfied. Now I'm trying to trim the fat off my Moto.

BTW, I like that white frame (what I can see of it). Any full frame pics?

monster member
    Sure! Here's a pic from a couple of months ago when I pulled the wheels off my other mtb just to see what it would look like.

I got the lightly used SIDs for only $300.00 at a bicycle flea-market, but I think I need to write to Rock Shox and ask for black stickers to put over the red.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Looks good! Pretty wild looking rear linkage set up, though. I wonder why they changed the design. The openness of your frame above the BB would have made my 1X9 setup a whole lot easier. I wound up having another bash guard installed on the inside since I couldn't mount a jumpstop or dog tooth.

Hope you get her done soon. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed
    Lookin good! How do you like it?
    Hit the trails for the first time on the Fuji yesterday after work. What a difference. Pedal bob much less noticeable than my Moto. Climbs are much easier mostly due to weight and WTB Stout hooks up as well as my Moto's Velociraptor over roots and rocks when climbing. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    2006 looks pretty nice with a white fork! I own one as well and raced it for 2 years and it did me well. I only wished it had a rear lock out for climbing. 07 had a much better design for this. I would like to see the weight posted when it is complete. I think mine(large) is around 26.5# pretty much factory except tires(Geax Barros are a bit heavy),Ergon grips and Thomson masterpiece seatpost.

monster member
    Thanks. Yeah, I am a bit nervous about it... I'm sure Fuji changed the rear design for the better, so I have to see how I like this older design. I'm hoping that since my FSR is from '01 and no pro-pedal, that an '06 design will still be okay in my perception. I just have to get it trail-worthy so I can try it out. It's going to be a xc bike, so maybe I can just put a lot of air in the shock if it squishes too much on uphills.

Along the lines of a xc bike, I'd like to hit 27 lbs or so. But that's not gonna happen with the AM wheelset on it.

Right now I'm caught up in a home sale, home purchase, and work relocation but I'll be sure to update in a few weeks after the dust settles.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Hey I have the same Fuji '06 frame with rear shock only, and I'm looking to do a rebuild to a 69er. From what I've been reading about converting a 26er to a 69er, best to get a rigid 26" fork and fit a 29" wheel.
    Any suggestions as to the best rigid fork for an '06 Outland RC frame for a 69er rebuild?

I'm hoping to go no more than $300 on the Fork cause the custom build kits for everything else is in the $550 range (looking to keep the whole rebuild under $900).
    Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any of you peeps want a 2006 Outland RC complete? I am going with the 2009 Outland 29 RC this year and the 06 has to go.

mtbr member
    Any of you outland rebuild guys know if a 650 rear wheel would fit in that frame?

monster member
    Quote Originally Posted by red bank rider
    Any of you outland rebuild guys know if a 650 rear wheel would fit in that frame?
    Hey Red bank rider- I don't know anything about those funny-wheeled bikes.

You know there's a subforum for that right? The guys there could probably tell you what to measure on your frame to see if a 650 would fit.
    Have fun!

monster member

More pics you've all been waiting for!

Okay, so it's my first bike-build and I have to post pics of the successful accomplishment...

I'm just waiting for the lighter wheels I ordered...

Heeeyaaahh! Aren't you all jealous *****es!!!! You guys selling are gonna be sorry!!! ;-)
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Looking better and better. Weighed it yet? Ride it yet? Mine climbs like a mountain goat compared to my Moto.
    Decided I'm going to swap my Reba Team over from my Moto after it gets rebuilt with new crown (need longer steerer). Should shave a few more ounces plus give me Motion Control front and back. Maybe down to 29.5 from 30.1lbs.

monster member
    Hah! I forgot I posted those pics. I had a few beers before posting that one!

I don't really know the weight. Bathroom scale says 26 with pedals, but I think it's generous. I'd guess the bike is 27-28. I can't wait to ride it more. Hopefully the new wheelset will drop another 1/2 lb or so.

Good to hear you like the way your's rides. It's been a bit of a weird experience to me to build up a bike because you invest money and time into a bike that you have no idea how it rides. I'm liking having an unusual bike though!

-John
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    I broke my rear triangle last night on 2006 Outland RC where the carbon fiber bar is attached to hanger it split and separated. I hope I can find a replacement part. Anyone know? I am going to try my luck at a Fuji dealer and see what they have to say..........

mtbr member
    I recently noticed Performance Bicycle carrying Fuji road bikes. Haven't seen a Fuji MTB there yet, but they may be a good option

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    looks great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    is it for sale?