pvd
    mtbr member

Z-74 Flowmaster. Dedicated flow bike ala PVD.

This is the first dedicated build for flow that I know of. A nice reference for folks wondering what works out there.

74-Z Flowmaster | Peter Verdone Designs

mtbr member
    Bike looks great but what really makes this different from any dirtjumper/slalom hardtail?

Geo looks so similar to the Yeti DJ with the exception of a lower bottom bracket. Cool project and awesome that you can DIY but doesnt seem like anything too novel or new.

Got any vids of the trail? sounds fun.

pvd
    mtbr member
    The real difference is the very low bb and designing around super short forks. Note that the Yeti DJ you reference has a half a degree steeper head angle (@80) but a near 30mm higher bottom bracket. @100 it's a 35mm difference in height. That's an entirely different bike. That's the reason for this build.

Yeti Cycles / Home

mtbr member
    Didn't Spesh make the Stumppumper a year or two ago with a similar sort of remit?

That's much prettier though. Your Rev needs a 9mm thru hub!

pvd
    mtbr member
    The 'Stumppumper' was just a stock P3 with a low fork and an offset bb. The head angle on that thing was probably ridiculously steep. It used a 445mm rigid fork, 10mm longer than my 80@20. Also, the P3 is head angle is 70.5@470mm. That means the head is in the 72 degree range. Yuck.

Specialized Stumppumper Concept Bike - The Ultimate Pump Track Weapon - Pinkbike
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Note the P3 has a bb height of 324mm with a 100mm fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd View Post
    The real difference is the very low bb and designing around super short forks. Note that the Yeti DJ you reference has a half a degree steeper head angle (@80) but a near 30mm higher bottom bracket. @100 it's a 35mm difference in height. That's an entirely different bike. That's the reason for this build.
    Yep, as noted. Not sure I'd be able to ride anything with that low of a bottom bracket on any of our local slalom/flow trails but awesome that it works where you are. As is with a ~12" BB and 32T chainring on my slalom hardtail, I'm hitting the chainring on some of the lips if I decide to roll rather than pop the lip and air out.

WIGGLER
    Nice my only concerns are the ST's aren't attached to the seat tube and a beefier brake bridge that's tide into the seat tube, dirt jumpers are hard on there parts!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

pvd
    mtbr member
    This isn't a dirt jumper.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Looks fantastic, Pete. There are two "flow" trails local to me here in SLC (one planned by committee, one that sort of evolved - guess which one is more fun?) and I've often thought about building something similar for myself- but in the end I think about the ~1000 foot climb needed to get up to the top and I think I'd never want to do it, so I just use my semi-aggro XC or trail bikes and drop the seat for the flow. If I had lots of free time on my hands, though, man, I'd do something like this in a hot second.

Have you tried the new clutch derailleurs and such? I have actually gone chainguide-less for the first time in years and haven't dropped one yet. Pretty nice not to have to deal with that anymore.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

pvd
    mtbr member
    Thanks! This bike, like all my offroad bikes, has a clutch. I just buy SLX or ZEE. I find that it's actually needed on this bike as the rough riding taks place in the 12 & 13 gears where its very slack.

pvd
    mtbr member
    FYI, here's some footage of the trail in question:Tamarancho Flow Trail - Pump Run 720p - YouTube

Most Delicious
    On the chainstay yoke, is the segment between the stays the same thickness as the part where the chainstays attach? And the flat bits on top of the yoke - is there something non-obvious about those?

mtbr member
    Wow, After the visualisation of that trail... I understand why a man would want a specific bike.
    Enjoy.
    Si ca monte, ca va forcément redescendre un moment donné.
    www.becikcycles.com

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Nice!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Bobsled?
    I hit that trail every time I go through SLC and have my bike with me. Great place to stretch the legs on a roadtrip. Love it!

Nice bike PVD!