Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Your bikes....?

mtbr member

Your bikes....?

Just to change things up a bit, how about some pics of the personal bikes that builders who grace this forum, use.
    We never really get to see them.
    Here's my UBI bike. #2 will get built at some point. I'm too busy blowing holes in tubes...

EDIT: (this is Walt)

I've made this thread a sticky, because it's kind of a cool one, IMO. Please only post bikes that YOU BUILT. If you have a sweet custom/handmade bike that you've purchased, that's great, but it's not the point of the thread. Post up stuff that you made with your own two hands. Enjoy!!
    Last edited by Walt; 04-01-2009 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    let's try this again

Steel Stew Numero Uno

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

My 2 main bikes...

I'm not publishing a picture of my townie. It's too embarrassing. Let's just say if someone stole it, I would walk home perfectly happy...

I ride my singlespeed 29er most of the time. Here it is. Mmm. Dirty.

Sometimes in the summer I ride my 7" travel bike at the resorts, and sometimes I even pedal it up the hills. It's also a 29er, which is pretty stupid, really. But it was fun to build, and it's fun to ride, and I'm not a DH racer, so the mediocre tires don't bother me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    At the risk of hi-jacking my own thread (can you hi-jack your own thread?),
    What do you feel are the benefits of using steel for a front end on a FS bike?
    I don't see it, but maybe there's something I didn't think of.
    Is it because you can offer up the "custom" front end?
    Thanks

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    At the risk of hi-jacking my own thread (can you hi-jack your own thread?),
    What do you feel are the benefits of using steel for a front end on a FS bike?
    I don't see it, but maybe there's something I didn't think of.
    Is it because you can offer up the "custom" front end?
    Thanks
    Reverse the question, what do you think are the benefits of not using a steel front end, or rear end for that matter, on a FS bike?

38 pounds, all steel:
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Hey, my thread...I ask the questions here....
    I'm no pro, but my thought process is that steel has an inherent "flex" to it (comfort, if you will, the reason it rides so well).
    I would think that the "flex" would cause binding in the pivot area.
    To eliminate that, you would use a "beefier" tube, causing a heavier weight.
    Hence, that's why aluminum is used.
    Am I way off base here?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I'm no pro, but my thought process is that steel has an inherent "flex" to it (comfort, if you will, the reason it rides so well).
    Am I way off base here?
    Yes, way off base. Steel is ~stiffer~ than aluminum.

Start here: http://www.anvilbikes.com/?news_ID=11&catID=3
    Then here: http://www.anvilbikes.com/?news_ID=16&catID=3

Aluminum is easier to manipulate and machine than steel. That makes it more economically feasible on many designs and makes designing the marriage between light weight and strength much easier. Optimizing a steel frame to compete weight wise with aluminum is tough and the manufacturability difficulties are hard (sometimes impossible) to overcome.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    What about AL front triangles and cromoly rear ends a la Balfa?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Why I like steel...

Todd -

Just FYI, that DH bike is all custom. Not just the front end. And it's all steel.

Why?

A) If something cracks or dents, I can easily fix it without resorting to having to re heat-treat the frame or other similar shenanigans. I fully expect to be riding this frame in 20 years, if I still want to at that point.

B) It's not really any heavier in this application. Frame/shock are about 10#, whole bike is 37 or so. Same as any other DH bike. Aluminum isn't necessarily lighter for building abuse-proof bikes, it's just a lot easier to machine for making crazy gussets and swingarms and stuff. So you see aluminum DH bikes because they're cheap to make and most DH guys expect to kill their frames after a season or two and replace them anyway, so there's no need for them to be easily repairable.

C) Stiffness is mostly a function of tube diameter (this one has a 45mm downtube) and pivots (this is a BMX bottom bracket modified to attach to the swingarm). It's way stiff. You might be able to make it stiffer in aluminum with even bigger pipes, but it's plenty stiff as it is, so I'm not worried about it.

D) I like working with steel and suck at welding aluminum.

Does that answer it?

-Walt

Am I way off base here?
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Aluminum is easier to manipulate and machine than steel. That makes it more economically feasible on many designs and makes designing the marriage between light weight and strength much easier. Optimizing a steel frame to compete weight wise with aluminum is tough and the manufacturability difficulties are hard (sometimes impossible) to overcome.
    That's kind of what i was trying to imply (a poor job on my part)..Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    Todd -

Just FYI, that DH bike is all custom. Not just the front end. And it's all steel.

Why?

A) If something cracks or dents, I can easily fix it without resorting to having to re heat-treat the frame or other similar shenanigans. I fully expect to be riding this frame in 20 years, if I still want to at that point.

B) It's not really any heavier in this application. Frame/shock are about 10#, whole bike is 37 or so. Same as any other DH bike. Aluminum isn't necessarily lighter for building abuse-proof bikes, it's just a lot easier to machine for making crazy gussets and swingarms and stuff. So you see aluminum DH bikes because they're cheap to make and most DH guys expect to kill their frames after a season or two and replace them anyway, so there's no need for them to be easily repairable.

C) Stiffness is mostly a function of tube diameter (this one has a 45mm downtube) and pivots (this is a BMX bottom bracket modified to attach to the swingarm). It's way stiff. You might be able to make it stiffer in aluminum with even bigger pipes, but it's plenty stiff as it is, so I'm not worried about it.

D) I like working with steel and suck at welding aluminum.

Does that answer it?

-Walt
    Thanks Walt

Gorilla Evo
    mmm I thought this was thread was about riding self made bikes. well anyway, steel over aluminum any day.

here is mine

stainless steel top to bottom. with aluminum linkage.
    Last edited by Monkeybike; 04-15-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    G-EVO

mtbr member
    well here's my ride. it's a couple of years old now and still holding up. i built it up under Kish at ubi. i've since flipped the stem and the fork is dead and it needs new breaks too...jeeze. i got a hankering for a new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ...2nd of 2 bikes I've built for myself.

mtbr member
    Here's my ride.
    My first built,

A new front end in the making: slaker, stiffer, lighter, sexier...

I work with aluminium by choice, maybe because I'm a guy from the aéronautic.
    Definitely easier to machine and work.
    Si ca monte, ca va forcément redescendre un moment donné.
    www.becikcycles.com

Gabe.....
    Here's mine...........one fixie and one coastie. There are more but this is all I need.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    I'm surprised at the lackluster response to this thread, but impressed at the number of home brewed FS bike. I'll have to find more pics of mine.

My submission, from the craptacular to the okay below:

1) Feldybikes #1, a dh bike I built my senior year of college (early 200) pre (my knowledge of) the framebuilder's list. Steel front (with flux and all), Al rear (easier to machine as previously mentioned. I've since made a better one that's shockingly similar to Walt's (albeit with 26" wheels).
    2) Lame air on a 29er singlespeed. This bike taught me to make my fillets (_at least_ around the HT) bigger as it cracked after a couple of years abuse.
    3) Tandem on top of Mt. Evans. I made this bike with the True Temper tandem tubes and made the stoker TT as long as they'd allow me to. Turns out that's not quite long enough, so a new one will be done at some point in the somewhat distant future. My wife is all bundled up because of the weather than moved in for what was perhaps the most unpleasant descent of my life (including Trout Creek Pass in a blizzard). As the stoker, she fared much better.
    4) My wife on her 29er "singlespeed." In this pic it's a 1x9 (sliders with a hanger) since she dug it so much she wanted to ride it more than her full suspension but wasn't ready to commit to 1 gear for bigger rides like 401.
    5) 29er singlespeed numero dos. This one is (apparently-since it hasn't broken) better constructed, with slightly refined geometry and a more aesthetically pleasing rear end (#1 has *too much* seatstay clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Last years bike

8in travel Mini DH

pvd
    mtbr member
    Trailbike:

Roadbike:

DH Bike:

I'm racing my first DH on an honest to god DH bike at Sea Otter. Cat 1 Men 35-39. Jumping in with the big boys (ouch!). If I do OK, I'll look into doing some NORBA and Northstar races. Since this is my first real DH bike, I figured that I'd buy the frame to see what the state of the art was and how I could improve on it. Maybe have my own frame for next season.

The Matt
    Mar 2008
    Town bike. Only bike.

statedebate&hike.jpg

After reading this thread I am interested in a building a FS.

Matt.

PS I built the gates too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here is mine, I built it a couple of years ago.

is buachail foighneach me
    i built this at ubi back in 99 i think it was. 24" wheeled ss trials bike made to clear 3" tires out back. i mismeasured the seat tube length. it was supposed to be the lenth of the collar lower, i.e: the seat stays were supposed to meet the top tube.

rode it in several trials comps and alot for practice. still have it. haven't built any frames since, but am hoping to this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My duece4 begging to rip the bmx track

5.5 pounds of 4130

The finish is cold blued, like a gun

mtbr member

new ultra basic

I got around to building myself a new frame and fork (stem soon) non sus corrected fork, gears only, absolutely nothing fancy but the ride. I ran interrupted housing for all of the cables and welded the stops on, only silvered the seat tube sleeve and h2o bosses.

mtbr member
    May 2004

my home made frames

3 that i build

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast