Thread: Wow!

mtbr member
    NOTHING WORKS LIKE CLOCKWORK

www.clockworkbikes.com

Nemophilist
    Bondo Cures All.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm not normally speechless. You'd almost thing that the welding is his very first attempt (not even a practice 'bead' er.... 'glob'), and overall he's quite proud of what he's done!
    occasional cyclist

AZ
    banned
    Wow. It'll probably be on evilbay next month.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Wow!

Well, if you read the text he does admit his methods are crude and it is a sculptural piece, not a functional bicycle.
    Heck, he narrowed the front rim by smashing it in a vice!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The bike looks good from 10 feet away, but what bugs me is all the 'artist' BS he spouts in his blog, and the lack of care and craftsmanship in his work.

JSYN, I am certainly not comparing myself to him because I am a complete hack who's built a single frame mostly out of necessity as opposed to the addiction that many of you builders have.

My wife is an artist and what I see from the best of you builders is what I see every day in her, and neither you here or my wife are anything like this blogger spewing crap about hipster culture.

She demands the very best in technique and spends literally tens of hours daily on her work, because she cannot stop.

When she taught art at university she connected as best as she could with the kids and attempted most often to get their souls to speak through their work.

The blogger's prose reminds me of the many self promoter artists I have met over the years.

My wife is the real deal, and has no interest in people or fame. She just makes stuff.

She said once to me 'if I try to talk about what I'm doing or write it down. I no longer want to make it'.
    occasional cyclist

Nemophilist
    Well...

I don't care what the situation, it never Doesn't Matter that bad, in my less than humble opinion. Here is my girlfriend doing some reinforcement on the new stamped steel control arms for her car. Never welded before in her life. Yes, I gave her some instruction and quickly showed her how, on scrap. She did the work on the parts a minute later. You don't need a closeup to see how good her welds are, 1st time. She was obviously pretty proud. So was I!

Whaddaya wanna bet.... someday, somewhere, somebody tries to ride that thing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wow!-tiinabeams.jpg  

Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    The bike looks good from 10 feet away, but what bugs me is all the 'artist' BS he spouts in his blog, and the lack of care and craftsmanship in his work. JSYN, I am certainly not comparing myself to him because I am a complete hack who's built a single frame mostly out of necessity as opposed to the addiction that many of you builders have. My wife is an artist and what I see from the best of you builders is what I see every day in her, and neither you here or my wife are anything like this blogger spewing crap about hipster culture. She demands the very best in technique and spends literally tens of hours daily on her work, because she cannot stop. When she taught art at university she connected as best as she could with the kids and attempted most often to get their souls to speak through their work. The blogger's prose reminds me of the many self promoter artists I have met over the years. My wife is the real deal, and has no interest in people or fame. She just makes stuff. She said once to me 'if I try to talk about what I'm doing or write it down. I no longer want to make it'.
    WORD;

He should have just used Sched40 PVC.....

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Trailmaker, your GF's weld are better than mine by quite a bit and I've been welding (oxy/acet) a few years now! She's a natural.

I would include your fine work in my reference to builders who are truly artists, btw.
    occasional cyclist

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    I would include your fine work in my reference to builders who are truly artists, btw.
    Well... thanks!

I'm like your wife. I do what I do for me. If others like it - and I do care about that, a bit - then so much the better. I tell my customers when they bring their cars into my shop that I am going to do it the way I think it needs to be done. Yes, we can discuss the direction, but the details are mine, and they will take what they take to create and cost what they cost. I suppose if I was building bikes, it would be the same way. Whether someone wanted to pay that much is one thing, but they have never said they didn't like the result or did not get something exceptionally valuable out of it.

Artist, be true to thyself. Others will follow. The ones who don't, don't matter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The guy has a nice workshop with a wonderful view - no excuse for not spending the time in there to do it properly.

I feel most sorry for that Peugeot frame - quite a comparison in that photo between his blobby poop top tube and the original, minimalist and very durable internally brazed HT - DT joint (that was knocked out on a factory production line rather than by an "artist").

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    though the welds can't be called welds, the end result is a 'pretty OK' ceiling-only replica of a $20-45,000 bike. I am gonna call this: well done.

Nemophilist
    Besides...

Personally, I'm not into FAKE.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna call this wack.
    Waste of winter commuter for an art project that could've been made of PVC and papier mache. Art is supposed to inspire the viewer to question and ponder to a personal understanding. All I got is WTF is this supposed to be? I would've been more inspired if he had taken the parts and built a park bench. I hope he got an A for effort though.
    No fuss with the MUSS

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    He seems to have a fair grasp of composites work. Why not just do that? Instead of welding and then covering with composites.

I got about one sentence into the interpretive / cerebral stuff and it turns into lorem ipsum in front of my eyes.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Harrumph
    It's wall art, simmer down.

In a perfect world it takes the spot of real thing on the wall, and the real thing gets ridden.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Dirt Huffer
    Man, i wonder how much time he spend on this. He could have invested a few more hours practicing on scrap metal and had a functional piece that he could have road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Well, hipsters aren't known for being the sharpest tools in the shed ya know?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Too much

Fanatics...
    not another fixed-gear blog: Cinelli Laser overview

How does the phrase go? "Imitation is the highest form of flattery"?

Personally, I wouldn't want to look like a circus show.
    Wow!-b_id_363729_bear.jpg

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Am I the only one who thought that was funny?
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Get that bike off of my Mountain Bike oriented website.
    What is wrong with you weirdos?