mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Where can I get a ISCG 05 mounting plate and the proper measuments to weld it up..??

This is to run a HammerSchmidt AM on my Maverick ML-7 frame..

Picture from a similar bike.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Paragon has them. They slip on over a round BB shell, which it looks you don't exactly have - that arm that juts up to support the front derailleur. You'd have to cut up the tab a bit. I'd use adhesive so you don't have to mess around with disassembling and heat treating just that one part (which I assume is aluminum).

That said, I've used a Hammerschmidt before and frankly I think you're better off doing a poor man's (or a rich man's) XX1 configuration.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Paragon has them.
    Cool paragon is great.

They slip on over a round BB shell, which it looks you don't exactly have - that arm that juts up to support the front derailleur. You'd have to cut up the tab a bit.

Sorry I don't have any better pictures but be sure the "arm" and the clamp comes off with just want bolt..

I'd use adhesive so you don't have to mess around with disassembling and heat treating just that one part (which I assume is aluminum).

What kind epoxi, devcon..??
    That said, I've used a Hammerschmidt before and frankly I think you're better off doing a poor man's (or a rich man's) XX1 configuration.
    I have been intrigue with the for years and I also know their shortcomings, but not until now the cranks are coming down in price, besides I'm still running 9 speeds..

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    What kind of epoxy, devcon..??
    This stuff is nothing short of amazing: 3M Adhesive, Metal Epoxy DP420 SCOTCH-WELD 1.25 OZ - Grainger Industrial Supply

You use it with an applicator gun: 3M Applicator, Epoxy - Epoxy Applicators - 4TY44|EPX PLUS II - Grainger Industrial Supply

Frankly the gun is kinda spendy unless you use it a lot, you can get away with just the 2:1 plunger, which I'm currently having a hard time finding...

Mix thoroughly leave at room temp, you'll have a set up bond in the same afternoon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This stuff is nothing short of amazing: 3M Adhesive, Metal Epoxy DP420 SCOTCH-WELD 1.25 OZ - Grainger Industrial Supply

You use it with an applicator gun: 3M Applicator, Epoxy - Epoxy Applicators - 4TY44|EPX PLUS II - Grainger Industrial Supply

Frankly the gun is kinda spendy unless you use it a lot, you can get away with just the 2:1 plunger, which I'm currently having a hard time finding...

Mix thoroughly leave at room temp, you'll have a set up bond in the same afternoon.
    Thanks, very interesting I have no idea about this product, look really promising..

How much of a gap do you need in between the ISCG adapter and the BB, to achieve maximum potency on the glue..!?

Actually I change my mind and I'm going to install the HammerSchmidt on my Nicolai Argon, so I have Another question just in case I want to get it weld (even if bonding sounds very promising), my Nicolai is made out of 7005, do I need to heat threat the frame after welding or is okay to leave it as is..!?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I believe you will not be able to run a hammerschmidt on your bike. The crank requires proper facing (AKA even, flat, level surfaces) on all BB surfaces. Adapters will not allow for this. Keep in mind, as a shop mechanic this is only a recommendation, it isn't impossible, but if the surfaces aren't faced properly the transmission (crank internals) will bind. I have not tried an adapter due to the high expense of this crank, and it is not common enough to get a chance to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie 15 View Post
    I believe you will not be able to run a hammerschmidt on your bike. The crank requires proper facing (AKA even, flat, level surfaces) on all BB surfaces. Adapters will not allow for this. Keep in mind, as a shop mechanic this is only a recommendation, it isn't impossible, but if the surfaces aren't faced properly the transmission (crank internals) will bind. I have not tried an adapter due to the high expense of this crank, and it is not common enough to get a chance to.
    Walt is going to do the welding, so hopefully it will be spot on since he is so good, but at the most we can face the adapter and BB together..

Thanks for you concern but I really hope your are wrong..

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    How much of a gap do you need in between the ISCG adapter and the BB, to achieve maximum potency on the glue..!?[/IMG]
    You can find the specs on 3M's website (google it), but you should be more worried about alignment as Newbie 15 has pointed out.

The efficiency of this planetary gear system is, I think, an outlier considering the time honored design, and I'd guess that it has something to do with the extremely close-tolerance sealing they designed into the planetary gear cover. See my very unscientific video here:

Hammerschmidt gear friction - YouTube

Anyway, point being, you don't want to get the efficiency more mucked up than already is. Your slip-on tolerance should be close enough that it's going to square up damn near automatically, and you'll probably want to more steps than just that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You can find the specs on 3M's website (google it), but you should be more worried about alignment as Newbie 15 has pointed out.
    Good source I will do the search in a minute..

The efficiency of this planetary gear system is, I think, an outlier considering the time honored design, and I'd guess that it has something to do with the extremely close-tolerance sealing they designed into the planetary gear cover. See my very unscientific video here:

Hammerschmidt gear friction - YouTube

Anyway, point being, you don't want to get the efficiency more mucked up than already is. Your slip-on tolerance should be close enough that it's going to square up damn near automatically, and you'll probably want to more steps than just that.
    Thanks, that is why I ask about bolt/plate alignment (angle) position in the first place and hopefully I can device a way to get all the surfaces align on the same plane and distance..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There is a chance that it will NOT need to be faced. Over the past 4 years, I have done 5. Four REQUIRED facing to work. One worked OK, but was faced due to demand for reliability. The shifting is amazing. It is heavy as hell and irritatingly complicated to service, but if I was a downhiller, I would love to have one. The speed of the shift will amaze you if you have not used one. I am impressed, SRAM got it right. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie 15 View Post
    There is a chance that it will NOT need to be faced. Over the past 4 years, I have done 5. Four REQUIRED facing to work. One worked OK, but was faced due to demand for reliability. The shifting is amazing. It is heavy as hell and irritatingly complicated to service, but if I was a downhiller, I would love to have one. The speed of the shift will amaze you if you have not used one. I am impressed, SRAM got it right. Good luck!!
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, more than anything i'm just very intrigue with technology and bicycles and this is a great opportunity to give it a try, specially since the price has come down a lot in the last few years..

I think I will like to face them just in case just to make sure..