~ B A D A S S ~

Whats the least amount of tools i reqiure to build a frame?

Yeah whats the least amount of tools required to actually build a frame. except from welder/ace/oxy etc.

I have a feeling some angle tools and such are needed, can someone givde an example ofthese and where to get them.

My plan is to build maybe 2-3 frames for myself. And i want to do it without production tooling, using hand tools and such.

I hav been given a tig welder, but i don't want to build a jig or buy one for just 2-3 frames.

Is this still doable?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Read the FAQ.

-W
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Yeah whats the least amount of tools required to actually build a frame. except from welder/ace/oxy etc.

I have a feeling some angle tools and such are needed, can someone givde an example ofthese and where to get them.

My plan is to build maybe 2-3 frames for myself. And i want to do it without production tooling, using hand tools and such.

I hav been given a tig welder, but i don't want to build a jig or buy one for just 2-3 frames.

Is this still doable?
    Just a box knife
    http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670753
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

~ B A D A S S ~
    Ah a box knife, who would have thought??

this is really helpful.

Name:  seriouscatcover.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  12.7 KB
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    You should learn to build frames without a jig.

Learn heat control.

Learn your welding sequence (everyone has their own I think).

Learn how and where to weld when you just realized that you welded the wrong spot, and you need to get things back to straight.

And most importantly, learn what you are doing wrong, fixtures/jigs kind of shelter people from that.

All you really need to build a frame is a hack saw, some files, sand paper/emery cloth and some rubbing alcohol.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Ah a box knife, who would have thought??

this is really helpful.
    And true. You did not specify a frame material or technique, just the minimum number of required tools.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Interesting that someone giving in depth comparisons and analysis of carbon and aluminum in another thread needs advice on how to cut round tubes with a hacksaw and measure angles....

FWIW if you were just given a tig welder and don't know how to tig weld, you are looking at at least a few months of seat time welding just to be able to weld something that's not a faceplant waiting to happen.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    If you can draft a full size drawing of the frame, you don't really need to be able to measure angles when it comes to the tubes because you can reference off of the drawing. I have done this in the past. Since I didn't have a drafting board the full size drawing of the entire frame, I would draw enough of each joint that I could compare the tubes to the drawing. I submit that the errors you introduce this way are not significant to the ride of the bike.

It helps to have a bike repair stand that you can rotate the frame in, 40" straight edge, 12" straight edge and the files you need

I don't really recommend this method though

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am working on my #1 FSO (frame shaped object) with the minimum.

Torch - oxy concentrator and propane (see Velocipedesalon)
    Hack saw
    Files (just regular old half rounds from the local hardware store)
    MDF "flat surface" - this is both my drawing table and layout table and I'll use it as surface plate to see how far out my joints are. Tolerances are close enough.
    Full scale drawing - drawn on some end of roll newsprint that the previous owner of our house left behind, it was likely used to wrap housewares for moving. Also using just a basic school kids level geometry set for the angles on the drawing, my four foot level for the long lines.
    Tube set from Nova - 9-6-9 with a 38mm down tube, the most basic thick tube set.
    Flux and brass from Cycles Design

I'd say my one splurge is the Paterek manual, it's been helpful, but most everything is out there on the web if you look for it.

I certainly don't expect #1 to be a Garro level bike. It's going to have tons of flaws. But I'll ride it hard and likely order the tubeset for #2 before #1 even has parts on it.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx View Post
    Interesting that someone giving in depth comparisons and analysis of carbon and aluminum in another thread needs advice on how to cut round tubes with a hacksaw and measure angles....

FWIW if you were just given a tig welder and don't know how to tig weld, you are looking at at least a few months of seat time welding just to be able to weld something that's not a faceplant waiting to happen.
    thanks. i'm relatively competent using a hacksaw, files, sandpaper and similar.

the point of the thread was to find out what other people think is the minimum amount of tool they need to build a fully functional frame.
    And armed with this info I was trying to 1: avoid buying or building tools i don't really need, and 2: get or build the tools that actually makes sense for frame building. Preferably I would like to avoid buying or building a full jig since its expensive and/or takes lots of time to build. The point is this: I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, and therefor I ask people that has done this lots of times before and know how its done.

I built these with a hacksaw, coarse file, sandpaper, cordless drill and some needle files, trust me i know how they work. Most of the time was spent on filing and fitting the 6al-4v Ti fingerguards and getting surfaces parallel.

Whats the least amount of tools i reqiure to build a frame?-homemade1.jpgWhats the least amount of tools i reqiure to build a frame?-homemade2.jpg

Specialized sucks ass.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    car bone, one thing I've learned about this subforum in particular, better or worse, is that you have to ask extremely specific questions if you want absolutely zero sarcasm. And show up with a thick skin.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Most Delicious
    Again, it's covered in the FAQ.

AZ
    banned
    Its little wonder why this sub forum is on the wane.

builder of frames
    Mar 2010
    The most important tool to build a frame is the knowledge of what to do.

The problem I have with a question like this one is that it is "too big" to answer easily. This invites smart-alakey responses. I am uninspired to take on a question that requires a long answer especially when it seems the poster put little effort into researching for information first.

What I recommend doing is breaking a big question into a specific inquiry for one particular area. For example "I see that many pros use a big granite or cast iron table to align frames. I don't have money or space for that. Is there some smaller inexpensive tools I can use instead?"

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Frame building is an aberration in the time-space continuum that sucks in money. If you went and took a class from Doug, UBI, Dave Bohm, or one of the other schools, it would be well worth it. I think once you've built a batch of frames, you can build with far fewer tools than as a beginner. But I'm not sure you would want to do that

Most Delicious
    Though the Great Server Migration seems to have messed up a lot of images and search, Google is still your friend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    Frame building is an aberration in the time-space continuum that sucks in money and time.
    Fixed

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I am working on my #1 FSO (frame shaped object) with the minimum.

Torch - oxy concentrator and propane (see Velocipedesalon)
    Hack saw
    Files (just regular old half rounds from the local hardware store)
    MDF "flat surface" - this is both my drawing table and layout table and I'll use it as surface plate to see how far out my joints are. Tolerances are close enough.
    Full scale drawing - drawn on some end of roll newsprint that the previous owner of our house left behind, it was likely used to wrap housewares for moving. Also using just a basic school kids level geometry set for the angles on the drawing, my four foot level for the long lines.
    Tube set from Nova - 9-6-9 with a 38mm down tube, the most basic thick tube set.
    Flux and brass from Cycles Design

I'd say my one splurge is the Paterek manual, it's been helpful, but most everything is out there on the web if you look for it.

I certainly don't expect #1 to be a Garro level bike. It's going to have tons of flaws. But I'll ride it hard and likely order the tubeset for #2 before #1 even has parts on it.
    i'm expecting a detailed build thread. really like do this myself one day; minimalist / ghetto build. i have fancy pants ideas in my head.

Dad
    Talbot's guide was pretty lean on equipment: http://bhovey.com/Masi/Scans/Talbot/index.htm