mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Welding disc tabs to a Noleen Crosslink fork

Framebuilders- I have seen photos of a Noleen Crosslink fork with disc tabs welded onto it, and was thinking of having this done to a fork myself. What are your opinions on this? I really know nothing about welding aluminum- is it safe to do this? Thanks in advance for your opinions!
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Not safe because if the fork was not built for the forces of hard braking you may end up with even harder breaking.

It is likely cheaper and safer to replace the fork.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

Eric the Red
    What might be a better idea is to build a new pair of legs with disc mounts. They are bolt on, after all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    What might be a better idea is to build a new pair of legs with disc mounts. They are bolt on, after all.
    That's a novel idea. How common is aluminum tubing that is that shape- of a cylinder cut in half down the middle?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller View Post
    That's a novel idea. How common is aluminum tubing that is that shape- of a cylinder cut in half down the middle?
    New legs do not have to use the same shape tubing, or be aluminum, or even be tubing at all.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Eric the Red
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    New legs do not have to use the same shape tubing, or be aluminum, or even be tubing at all.
    That's my thinking, I have an old Girvin fork that I've contemplated making legs for out of 4130 streamline tubing. Not because it was an awesome fork, but just because I think it would be fun to build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    True- aluminum just seems to be the best choice. 4130 is likely to be heavier, and one framebuilder I know refuses to build forks out of more high-dollar steels like OX-Platinum because if it breaks, it really breaks (the conversation was a long time ago, but I think this was the upshot).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller View Post
    True- aluminum just seems to be the best choice. 4130 is likely to be heavier, and one framebuilder I know refuses to build forks out of more high-dollar steels like OX-Platinum because if it breaks, it really breaks (the conversation was a long time ago, but I think this was the upshot).
    Why no custom aluminum?

I was thinking about a steel truss structure or carbon fiber.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common