mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Welding a Cracked Reynolds 853 Frame? X Post

I know that for liability reasons a manufacturer will say "no", but can a competent welder repair a crack in an Reynolds 853 frame?

The drive side drop out on my 3 year old Niner SIR9 has cracked all the way through. A buddy told me that instead of repairing the crack itself, the entire dropout could be replaced.

Hope this is a possibility, if not then it's time to move on.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Yes it can be fixed. (well, having not seen it, I'm 99% sure) Find a builder you like and get on it.

OTOH, it's always possible Niner might have a crash replacement that would cost about the same or less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, Feldybikes. Niner's crash replacement price is 20% off retail. I was hoping it was a bit more than that.

I'm guessing I need to find a good frame builder to do the work vs a local machine shop who probably won't understand the need to see that the new dropout is properly lined up & straight.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Custom motorbike shops are a good place to start. Just make sure they're aware of how thin the tubing is so they don't blow holes in it.

Old school BMXer
    If you do some searches, you'll find many solutions on how to repair that crack. It's very common that those Niners crack there.
    May the air be filled with tires!

WIGGLER
    There was guy that had a cracked Niner that he fixed I think his screen name is
    Fleas do a search for that thread lots of good info.
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    Niner's crash replacement price is 20% off retail. I was hoping it was a bit more than that.
    Yeah, I would, too. I guess I stand corrected.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    it would really help if you would post pics. I suppose some people know where this cracks if it is a design defect, but for the rest of us pics are essential. Most steel dropouts can be repaired by welding if the crack is in a convenient place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You, sir, are correct. As they say, pics or it didn't happen!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welding a Cracked Reynolds 853 Frame? X Post-sir9-crack.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Easy fix. Get rid of the paint, weld the dropout crack shut, put a piece of place joining the whole dropout/chainstay/seatstay area. Done. $50 job if I was doing it, and I could do it while you waited.

If you want it to look swanky, of course, you're in a whole different ballpark. Remove the existing dropout, replace with something similar, repaint - you could spend $500.

So if you just want to ride it, start calling builders in your area. If you need it to look original/perfect, forget it.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    find someone that can tig weld and have them do it. Don't go to a framebuilder that will braze it, and some will if they don't TIG