mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Wanted - Columbus Tubing Tech Drawings

Has any one got the technical drawings for Columbus tubing. I am specifically after the bend dimensions in their 29'r chain and seat stay tubing.

mtbr member
    Some are linked on the ceeway website:
    http://www.ceeway.com/acrobat%20files/CS-S-BEND-.pdf

http://www.ceeway.com/acrobat%20file...MBUS-STEEL.pdf

Maybe this is what you are looking for.

Michael

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Iv'e spoken to Ceeway as I am ordering the 29'r stays from, them but they don't have the details either. I have emailed Columbus so I will post anything I get.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I asked Columbus per e-mail and didn't get a reply (many weeks ago).
    In Eurobike I spoke with Mr. Lorenzo Altissimo and they are reluctant to give out this information (I also asked for 3D drawings and he politely said no).
    However, he did mention that the bending of the tubes for 29er is the same in angle and distance between bends as the MTB 133 bend, just on a longer tube and further away from the dropout end (if I understood correctly).
    According to their spec sheets, 29er chainstays are 440 mm long and the equivalent Zona are 425 mm. The difference of 15 mm is less than I would expect. Maybe they just reduced the extra length to be cut off?
    According to the same sheets, the seatstay length is the same at 560 mm.

Note: I get the impression the sheets are made from a template and wouldn't be surprised if some mistakes are found.

I hope one day they will realise it would make things easier for designers to share cad, and that it wouldn't make much difference if some other company wanted to copy their tubes. Many companies are happy to provide 3d files of their air cylinders, etc. if it means desingers will use their product.

I'm looking forward to see what else comes up in this post.

Marc

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What is it with the manufacturers being so reluctant to provide information or tech drawings. How else do they expect people to design frames with their tubes. I spoke to Reynolds the other day and they were the same. Really bizarre, its like they are trying to be awkward.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    maybe they don't have drawings that are easy to reproduce

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    When designing machines for work it is very handy to get from webs like 3dcontentcentral the files of specific brands and models of hardware such as engines, bearings, bearings, transmission systems...
    Initally I thought it was just beacuse they have made the tubing for years without drawing it and couldn't be bothered to do it, but it appears that is not the problem.

In case it is useful to anybody, I think there are 3d models of some bike frames made with commercial tubing in the grabcad webpage. I don't know how accurate the tubes will be, but maybe good enough.