mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Tubing Selection

Hi there, my name is Tanner and I just finished my freshman year at USU and am working on a summer project. I've been a long time admirer of hand built frames and asked myself the question a couple of weeks ago: "well why can't I do that? doesn't look so hard". Anyways I'm trying to build a 'cross bike that I would be happy racing. I've pretty much got the geometry nailed down, but I need help selecting tubing. I'm 5 foot 10 weigh and 135lbs soaking wet. I doubt I'll be growing anymore as I've been this same build the last few years. Anyways I want to build something that isn't too heavy for my twigs for arms to lift in a 'cross race, but I want it to be stiff too. I know that those are probably pretty vague requirements, but like I said, I've never done this before
    Thanks
    P.S. I'll be using true temper through Henry James

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Will you use lugs, fillet brazing or tig welding? That would have some influence on tubes.
    cheers
    andy walker

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'll be TIG welding. It's what I have the most experience with.

mtbr member
    check out the suggested tubeset list on the back of the HJ order form. That's a good place to start and you can swap out some tunes if you like. You would probably be interested in one of the OS road sets to start with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    HJ= Henry James, heres the site if you want to see what they have: Henry James Bicycles | Please pardon our mess?site is under construction

For as many tubsets, lugs, etc. as they sell the site is pretty funky/user unfriendly, but hunt around on it and with a little perserverance you'll see their offerings.

Brian

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    When you call, Hank will give you suggestions and help. If you're comfortable welding thin tubing, you may find less frustration with going with a little thicker butts just so you don't get too frustrated that it's not what you expect. Hard areas are the chainstays and seatstays, then the bridges will cause other grief. It's the rolling the torch around the small tubes that's different for even experienced welders. Bikes have their own peculiarities. For your build, 0.8mm tubing would be fine, but you might find 0.9mm easier to weld especially if you dont use heat sinks. Also, external butted seat tubes give you a thicker section to weld the toptube and seatstays to. Of course you absolute have to build this bike! Have fun, do plenty of practice welds first. Do some 0.5" 0.035 or thicker tube, cut at 60 deg, miter three pieces, and weld them into a triangle. This is good practice for the seatstays.
    cheers
    andy walker