Thread: Tube sets

The 5th knuckle

Tube sets

I would like to dip my toes by building a bike with a tube set and lugs. I found a 26" frame set with lugs on Nova, but not a 29" wheeled version. I found a 29" set on Henry James, but cant tell if it's lugged or not. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'd like to build it SS so adjustable dropouts would be key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    You're going to have trouble finding lugs that will work well for a 29er, unless you are looking to build a "monstercross" style of bike.

The HJ recommended tube sets are not for lugs because they use big tubes and there just aren't people making lugs in angles that work well.

If you want to build a 29er and you have the brazing stuff, just go for fillet brazed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'd get the cheapest tube set you could find......maybe two sets......and then have at it with a file, saw and torch. I would also consider grabbing some scrap metal, or maybe a small shipment of straight gauge 4130 from Wicks to practice your fillets if you haven't made any before.

I'd probably opt for some cheap track dropouts too on frame #1. I'd hate to ruin a set of $100+ paragons or similar.

The 5th knuckle
    Thanks guys. I'm decent at brazing but was going lugs to short cut using a jig. Is it possible without a jig?
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Most Delicious
    If you do some googling you'll find some lugged 29ers build with the Llewellyn "Slant 6" lugs, but they're not useable out of the box - people usually have to do some manipulating on them, flip the seat tube lug, etc. It's not a shortcut by any means and you're on your own at the bottom bracket.

If you also do some googling you should also find that there are lots of resources on framebuilding with minimal tooling, such as this one. You can do a lot with some angle iron or surplus 8020.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm decent at brazing but was going lugs to short cut using a jig. Is it possible without a jig?
    Even a minimalist jig is still a jig, but yes it is doable without using one of the more common expensive jigs. Lugs do present some advantages and disadvantages, but I build my lugged frames as though there were no lugs and then add the lugs. All your miters should still be flush........although we would never know how bad your miters are with lugs covering them. :

I build off of a flate plate of granite with Alex Meade blocks. You could easily fab up something similar.

Tube sets-9594092035_3810429512_c.jpg

The 5th knuckle
    Interesting with the blocks. I definitely have some choices to make.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    I build off of a flate plate of granite with Alex Meade blocks. You could easily fab up something similar.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9594092035_3810429512_c.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	826832
    Do you have to shim under these blocks or are they specifically designed for the tube diameters you are working with? I am looking at trying a frame using this method.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Jay, check this forum out: Jigless Frame Construction

The 5th post on this thread is what I just used and it worked nicely. It's about $20 in materials at The Home Depot, plus it's easy and quick to make.

Also, your screen name suggests you may be from Castle Rock, CO. Am I right?

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by mtblucas View Post
    Do you have to shim under these blocks or are they specifically designed for the tube diameters you are working with? I am looking at trying a frame using this method.
    I believe those were custom - I don't see Alex Meade listing them on his tool page.

Edit:

The whole flat plate system is here.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by mtblucas View Post
    Jay, check this forum out: Jigless Frame Construction

The 5th post on this thread is what I just used and it worked nicely. It's about $20 in materials at The Home Depot, plus it's easy and quick to make.

Also, your screen name suggests you may be from Castle Rock, CO. Am I right?
    This is the way I'm leaning and yes I'm in Castle Rock CO. Just returned from riding Indian Creek.