TrailMaker #2 - The Kroozer

25K views 172 replies 52 participants last post by  Eric Malcolm 
#1 ·

-

See less See more
Reactions: G-reg and SlowSSer
#15 ·
Wow

Ok, elaborate on the drop out joinery. TIG'd and filed?

Needs a truss fork (no **** my phone's predictive text knew that's what I was going to say)

Spill it on the geo #'s. I'm pleasantly surprised a how nice my new Fatty handles, so it's possible to get away from self steer / wheel flop handling.

#17 ·

Joinery was mitered, plated (SS's), TIG'ed, and filed, and filed... and filed, and sanded too.

This was my first time rolling tubing. I learned where to put cable stays, I hope. I learned to be patient enough to remember vent holes. Now I am going to learn about Powder CoatING and CoatERS. I am going to learn about holing rims and building wheels, which I have never done. I'm quite hopefully going to learn that I got this one righter than the first one!

Thank you all very much for your kind words. I feel the same way!

Stay tuned.....

#19 ·
Gorgeous...

Maybe I'm missing it, but what's the HT angle? How did the actual geometry turn out compared to the plans?
No;

You didn't miss it. It disappeared from my drawing somehow. 70*. All I can say right now is that the HT/ST relationship is spot on. I'm almost afraid to find out the rest....

#42 ·
That was my second thought (after WOW that's beautiful dropout work!!). With as wide of a BB and crank setup as he'll run for going fat it may not be an issue. I hit mine all the time on my 36er but I'm just used to it now. Only bang it hard every once in a while.

#24 · (Edited)
Hey;

I did not take any specific pics of that process. All I can do is describe it.

Where the CS-to-DO joinery was concerned, I placed the DOs on my dummy axle and in my axle fixturing tower on my CS mitering jig.

I place the forward tab portion of the DO right above the area of the CS that would be mitered. I marked and trimmed the ends of the CSs until they cleared the tabs and then slid the dummy axle holder down to align the CS-to-DO interface. Level the DOs and stays with a height gauge. Tack. Unlike the case pictured, the CSs on the Kroozer come in behind the DO tabs, so there is nothing to do but weld it up and file/sand it smooth.

In the case of the SSs, you can see in the pics that they are clamped in place on the DO tabs. The first step in joining them was to flat the back side of the tube, which was accomplished by placing them over a railroad spike clamped in the vice, and hammering them flat. High tech stuff! Then, the outer portion of the SS tube was trimmed flush to match the level of the DO surface with a 3" cut off and disc grinder. At this point, the face of the DO tab is relieved the thickness of the sheet metal that was used to plate over the opening in the SS, and the SS was then trimmed back further to match. The sheet metal cover plate was trimmed in the bullet shape to cover the opening in the SS. Weld, file, and sand.

I hope that makes sense. Doing that slice & patch mitering process might be my favorite part of the build!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.