Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    mtbr member
    I'm not sure I'm following what happened here. Was the chain deliberately too short when it was put on? That's all I'm gathering from two different threads showing the failure and neither really explaining why.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_ntwr View Post
    I'm not sure I'm following what happened here. Was the chain deliberately too short when it was put on? That's all I'm gathering from two different threads showing the failure and neither really explaining why.
    the hanger broke due to it being 70series alu, and he had to run it SS, so he shorted down the chain, and it probably wasn't completely in line, so it shifted up a cog and BAM! Bye bye hub/frame.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Ouch.

Nemophilist
    In Post # 133, I said;

Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    So, I did what any hard-nosed survivalist MTBer would do. I picked a gear, shortened the (brand new!) chain, and rode single speed. I don't have the FD hooked up yet due to a lack of cable housing. I reasoned I didn't want to go too big for the climbs, but I was sort of dissing my gear choice, as Granny 3 was a little short for cruising the flats. Never in a million years would it have occurred to me that what was about to happen would happen. It just seems so improbable.

Every time I've done one of these bodges for friends that have trashed their derailleurs, they usually end up either skipping horribly under power due to lack of chain wrap, or shifting their way down the cassette because there is nothing to keep gravity from letting the chain do just that. I actually had to take the wheel out a bit to get the chain on, and when it was all installed, I had less than 1" of chain deflection, likely closer to .5" It looked like a great setup, and worked just fine for about a mile along the river bottom.

Eventually you have to climb, and as I laid in the first few power strokes and hit the meat of the climb, the chain incongruously shifted from 3rd to 2nd. Something had to give, and it sure a F did.....
    I thought I had a pretty good setup. I cranked it through quite a bit and listened for chain rattle, but got none then nor in the 1.5 miles I rode after rigging it. I never heard a sound until it just bound solid. I even did a shorter but difficult climb prior to this. Live and learn. I learned I needed to pay more attention to chain line. Also, that I should have just gone with my initial disgust with it all and bailed for the road and an easy cruise back to the car. Sometimes being "can do" doesn't pay!

Oh, I also found out for sure that I am truly exceptional and special. I am the first person to break a Salsa aluminum axle that they are aware of. Lucky me!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Belltown Brazer
    TM, perhaps consider the Naked Boomerang dropouts for your next build. I like them better than the Paragons. No replaceable hanger. Available a full 0.25" thick too. Look here, about halfway down the page:

Naked Bicycles & Design | Get Naked | Swag

Sorry about the wierd lesson. Hopefully something was learned - though the random nature of the failure cause makes me wonder what. B
    I am Belltown Bikes LLC. Steel bicycles hand made in East Hampton, CT

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr View Post
    TM, perhaps consider the Naked Boomerang dropouts for your next build. I like them better than the Paragons. No replaceable hanger. Available a full 0.25" thick too. Look here, about halfway down the page:

Naked Bicycles & Design | Get Naked | Swag
    Thanks B;

That is a nice DO that I was unaware of. It would have fit the theme of my bike very nicely. Frankly, I think the PMW DO that I used is a bit too flimsy, and I felt that BEFORE this happened. In a perfect world where nothing odd ever occurs, they are likely just fine, and they are certainly absolutely gorgeous in form and workmanship. However, one of the reasons trail riding is so enjoyable is because it is utterly perfect in its unpredictability. Ride the same trail a zillion times, and as soon as you go into autopilot, BAM! "Where the "HE!! did that come from? That's never happened before!?!?!" In this imperfect world, I think PMW should consider offering an HD version.

Sorry about the wierd lesson. Hopefully something was learned - though the random nature of the failure cause makes me wonder what. B
    It's happened before, and will again. Another of my hobbies is driving Porsches on race tracks. I've owned and tracked the same car for 22 years. Last year up in Canada, my hood latch snapped. Just hammering along like I've done all these years, and DOINK. The hood pops up. ?????? Thank God for the safety catch! Back in my pit, my friends and I stood around scratching our heads, wondering if that had ever happened in the history of the 944? Well, it has now! Scheissen Happens!

I was most PO'd by the derailleur hanger snapping, those being an old sore spot. Lessons: Forget about 7075. Follow your gut and forget about replaceable hangers. Pay more attention to chainline next time, or just bail on the ride and cruise out!!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    TM, the expedition model that I posted earlier in the thread is the heavy-duty model.

Harrumph
    The Paragon's are available in "expedition" weight too. Cut from 6.35mm steel instead of 1/4in

But seriously the windows are not completely machined out.

*edit* taking comment to the plate v. hood thread.....smiley face is staying.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Nemophilist
    Are we ever satisfied?

It took me a while to put 2 & 2 together... but I always get there eventually. No, I'm not satisfied. The closed windows just ruins it all. Seems to me it would be fine to just make it thicker and leave them open. Yes, one could dink around and cut out the windows themselves. The joy of being able to do anything you want. I should have gone that route.......

...Next time.

Nemophilist
    Let's try this again...

Some twiddling & fiddling, and of course some new bits. Back out where it belongs.

Dudette
    Absolutely gorgeous shot! Love how the blue in the bike picks up the blue in the jersey and glasses, too. Hey, I'm a chick, we notice that stuff, LOL. Glad you got it up and running again and were able to get out in the snow before it's gone!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Damn, that's a nice bike! I was bummed for you big time when you had your mini-catastrophe. Very glad all is well again.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Nemophilist
    Blue, eh?

What about the gloves... and the SKY?

Now running a PMW STEEL hanger. Needed a further tweak to the hanger/DO flange to get it down into the
    highest gear (8th), but all is now working fine. Someday I'll probably switch to short cage derailleurs too.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Accessories to match the bike LOL

That thing is just flat out cool, TM ... Glad you got it going so quickly, and can give us some proper trail shots

mtbr member

TrailMaker #2 - The Kroozer

Heck yeah TM!
    You are a tall dude indeed. Those wheels look tiny! Like you made a 20" wheeled fatty.
    The Kroozer lives!

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriwether View Post
    Heck yeah TM! You are a tall dude indeed. Those wheels look tiny! Like you made a 20" wheeled fatty. The Kroozer lives!
    Ha!

I was thinking the same thing. All the pics of me riding 26ers - even being XLs - just make me cringe. I look like some kind of circus act. Like a bowling ball on a golf tee! There's one guy around here that is near my size, and when I see him on his 26er I think, man do I look that ridiculous? I mingle around these big bikes of mine - my RIP9, and Humvee & Kroozer Fatties - and they seem really huge. I mean, they take a LOT of room. Yet, when I see pics of myself on them, it looks completely normal and balanced.

Now I know what the average guy feels like on an MTB!

Fat Roolz...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My mind is perking on the next one. Something totally different!

-

mtbr member
    I think your "normal" bike would be at LEAST a Knard tire'd bike, or a 36er even. I hear 32" wheels are being though of as the next 'new' thing (even though there are Walmart bikes with them already or something). Like Zinn is to road bikes, there could be an opening for Sasquatch-sized bikes...!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    TM, It is good to see this thing up and running! I agree with Meriwether--that thing looks kinda like a kids bike under you!

Nemophilist
    Sheeeesh...

I'm beginning to wonder if this thing is cursed. Rode it around the parking lot this morning to test out a couple of things. Just fine. Noticed the tire was rubbing where someone goofed up and got the bridge in the wrong place because they calculated the wheels wro.... anyway.... Took it back out this afternoon. CHAIN SUCK. Every time, every 4-5 rotations. CONSTANT. If it was in Granny, it was SUCKIN! Rode it all day Sunday in granny plowing through 7" of wet snow. Not ONCE. Now? EVERYFREEKINTIME!

Single Speed Junkie
    Sheeeesh...

I'm beginning to wonder if this thing is cursed. Rode it around the parking lot this morning to test out a couple of things. Just fine. Noticed the tire was rubbing where someone goofed up and got the bridge in the wrong place because they calculated the wheels wro.... anyway.... Took it back out this afternoon. CHAIN SUCK. Every time, every 4-5 rotations. CONSTANT. If it was in Granny, it was SUCKIN! Rode it all day Sunday in granny plowing through 7" of wet snow. Not ONCE. Now? EVERYFREEKINTIME!

Sorry to hear about the frame troubles. The aesthetics of the frame are there along with the fabrication skills. Perhaps the initial axle failure tweaked the frame the wrong way. I'm sure with the initial attention to detail that went into the build you will be able to see what went south and correct it.

WIGGLER
    Sheeeesh...

Check the axle you just replaced to see if its binding or cassette is not freewheeling
    easy or the jockey wheels are stuck
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

Nemophilist
    OK;

No need for my previous hysteria. Cooler heads prevailed today, and employed the time tested and yet highly secret and classified remedy for such maladies; chain lube. They don't tell you this at WalMart when you buy your bike, but the combination of sharp fresh chain rings, a stiff new chain, and repeated drenchings in a creek tends to cause chain suck in the days hence.

After months of staring at this design on the screen, and weeks since in the flesh, I just last night came up with some new ideas for tube configuration within this layout that should be quite remarkable. Not that it needs any help as is, mind you....

mtbr member
    Ahhhhh.........OIL

The sooner you get a shorter caged rear derailleur the better. lol.

How did you miss that one?

Good to see the pictures of you riding your bike.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7