TrailMaker #2 - The Kroozer

25K views 172 replies 52 participants last post by  Eric Malcolm 
#1 ·

-

See less See more
Reactions: G-reg and SlowSSer
#146 ·
Oh;

Frame repaired. Dummy axle slips right in, no problem. Very minimal loss of paint. Happened to have some paint on the shelf that was a dead ringer. A Porsche color, no less. A couple of little dabs will do me. Now the old story.... waiting for parts!

#147 ·
With all this bad luck you can probably expect no problems at all when you rebuild it, the frame has probably ran out of bad luck by now.

Anyway 70-series breaks and 60 series alu, like 6061 bends. Ti would be a nice alternative, since it bends quite a lot until it snaps clean, But it flexes back. CP2 ti is quite weak, about on par with good alu, but much more durable, and if it bends you can probably bend it back. Its much more forgiving than 6-4 or even 3-2,5, those ones snaps/cracks. In an hour or so you could easily anglegrind and file out a new cp2 ti hanger.

#149 ·
As sweet as the windowed ones are, I have yet to build a frame with them. When I do low mounts, I opt for the expidetion ones. Yeah, they are heavier, but unless I was doing a disc specific road bike, I wouldnt use the windowed ones.

Good luck with the repairs!

Ryan

#155 ·
TM, perhaps consider the Naked Boomerang dropouts for your next build. I like them better than the Paragons. No replaceable hanger. Available a full 0.25" thick too. Look here, about halfway down the page:

Naked Bicycles & Design | Get Naked | Swag

Sorry about the wierd lesson. Hopefully something was learned - though the random nature of the failure cause makes me wonder what. B

#156 ·
TM, perhaps consider the Naked Boomerang dropouts for your next build. I like them better than the Paragons. No replaceable hanger. Available a full 0.25" thick too. Look here, about halfway down the page:

Naked Bicycles & Design | Get Naked | Swag
Thanks B;

That is a nice DO that I was unaware of. It would have fit the theme of my bike very nicely. Frankly, I think the PMW DO that I used is a bit too flimsy, and I felt that BEFORE this happened. In a perfect world where nothing odd ever occurs, they are likely just fine, and they are certainly absolutely gorgeous in form and workmanship. However, one of the reasons trail riding is so enjoyable is because it is utterly perfect in its unpredictability. Ride the same trail a zillion times, and as soon as you go into autopilot, BAM! "Where the "HE!! did that come from? That's never happened before!?!?!" In this imperfect world, I think PMW should consider offering an HD version.

Sorry about the wierd lesson. Hopefully something was learned - though the random nature of the failure cause makes me wonder what. B
It's happened before, and will again. Another of my hobbies is driving Porsches on race tracks. I've owned and tracked the same car for 22 years. Last year up in Canada, my hood latch snapped. Just hammering along like I've done all these years, and DOINK. The hood pops up. ???:confused:??? Thank God for the safety catch! Back in my pit, my friends and I stood around scratching our heads, wondering if that had ever happened in the history of the 944? Well, it has now! Scheissen Happens!

I was most PO'd by the derailleur hanger snapping, those being an old sore spot. Lessons: Forget about 7075. Follow your gut and forget about replaceable hangers. Pay more attention to chainline next time, or just bail on the ride and cruise out!!

#159 ·
Are we ever satisfied?

It took me a while to put 2 & 2 together... but I always get there eventually. No, I'm not satisfied. The closed windows just ruins it all. Seems to me it would be fine to just make it thicker and leave them open. Yes, one could dink around and cut out the windows themselves. The joy of being able to do anything you want. I should have gone that route.......

...Next time.

#161 ·
:thumbsup: Absolutely gorgeous shot! Love how the blue in the bike picks up the blue in the jersey and glasses, too. Hey, I'm a chick, we notice that stuff, LOL. Glad you got it up and running again and were able to get out in the snow before it's gone!

#163 ·
Blue, eh?

What about the gloves... and the SKY?

Now running a PMW STEEL hanger. Needed a further tweak to the hanger/DO flange to get it down into the
highest gear (8th), but all is now working fine. Someday I'll probably switch to short cage derailleurs too.

#166 ·
Heck yeah TM! You are a tall dude indeed. Those wheels look tiny! Like you made a 20" wheeled fatty. The Kroozer lives!
Ha!

I was thinking the same thing. All the pics of me riding 26ers - even being XLs - just make me cringe. I look like some kind of circus act. Like a bowling ball on a golf tee! There's one guy around here that is near my size, and when I see him on his 26er I think, man do I look that ridiculous? I mingle around these big bikes of mine - my RIP9, and Humvee & Kroozer Fatties - and they seem really huge. I mean, they take a LOT of room. Yet, when I see pics of myself on them, it looks completely normal and balanced.

Now I know what the average guy feels like on an MTB!

Fat Roolz...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My mind is perking on the next one. Something totally different!

-

#169 ·
Sheeeesh...

I'm beginning to wonder if this thing is cursed. Rode it around the parking lot this morning to test out a couple of things. Just fine. Noticed the tire was rubbing where someone goofed up and got the bridge in the wrong place because they calculated the wheels wro.... anyway.... Took it back out this afternoon. CHAIN SUCK. Every time, every 4-5 rotations. CONSTANT. If it was in Granny, it was SUCKIN! Rode it all day Sunday in granny plowing through 7" of wet snow. Not ONCE. Now? EVERYFREEKINTIME!

:madman:

#172 ·
OK;

No need for my previous hysteria. Cooler heads prevailed today, and employed the time tested and yet highly secret and classified remedy for such maladies; chain lube. They don't tell you this at WalMart when you buy your bike, but the combination of sharp fresh chain rings, a stiff new chain, and repeated drenchings in a creek tends to cause chain suck in the days hence.

After months of staring at this design on the screen, and weeks since in the flesh, I just last night came up with some new ideas for tube configuration within this layout that should be quite remarkable. Not that it needs any help as is, mind you....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.