Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Nemophilist

- WOOT

-
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

banned
    Aug 2012
    I'd have went all blue on the frame ... But it's your bike

And it's looking very cool !!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That looks really good.

WIGGLER

Nice Fatty

Trail that's going to be b!tchin fat!!! nice job!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    I'd have went all blue on the frame ... But it's your bike
    I'll larn yuh. Aint neer dun yet!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

mtbr member
    Sick!!

pvd
    mtbr member
    It looks awesome!!!

Nemophilist
    dang time out......

Nemophilist
    I agree;

I am very pleased with the theme and the look. All the detail items to come will just add to that. If it rides as good as it looks, I will be ecstatic!

Harrumph
    Looks great What was the issue with the first PC attempt?
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Single Speed Junkie
    Doh! Double post. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by crux; 01-26-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Single Speed Junkie
    Bike is taking shape and looking great.

Would be interested if there is any interference issues with the wide seat stays in how they join the down tube. Please follow up with a ride report.

Again the bike looks fantastic.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is that picture deceiving, or does it look like the Nate is rubbing the seat stays?
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Wowsers! Looks awesome.

I almost liked it better raw, but I'm weird like that.

Can't wait ti see it fully rideable, and dirty...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Nemophilist
    Ha;

There is a little bit of "personality" in the spacing of the rear stays, but no, it does not rub anywhere. There is actually about 8-10mm of clearance at the SSs. One CS is a little close at the bridge, but I have to check the DO slots for excess PC yet.

Excess PC because the blue was done twice. Originally I wanted it 2-toned like this, but the tape they use that withstands the heat does not bend, so it would have to be straight lines as it is now when I wanted the cut line parallel across both tubes. My instinct told me to let it go and spray the white afterwards, until they suggested a fade. "We do it all the time." "Sounds great!" It weren't.

They did not control the travel of the fade at all; one side being on the DT only, the other being way back on the SS. I was not pleased, and so we settled on this method of solving it. Then, the taped white tracked up from the re-heat, so there are marks in the white powder. Look close and it is a bit disappointing. Put away the microscope and it looks stunning. It's a great five-footer!

The thing that really annoys me is that in talking to the powder guy he said he does it on MC frames all the time and it works great. For some strange reason, he hung my frame vertical instead of horizontal, so the powder mist had to cross the frame on one side as it headed for the fan. Why in he!! they did it in a way other than that which they knew to work is beyond me. 50-75% of the difficulty in any spray job on a part like this is in how you jig it, and they SHOULD be good at that by now, because weird stuff is all they do! The fact that they did not charge me for the redo does not settle all of that, or the "extra weight" of two coatings, but it is what it is.

Would be interested if there is any interference issues with the wide seat stays in how they join the down tube
    Not sure what you mean. Remember we have a 100mm (3.94") BB spacing here, and the bullets area is only a combined 3" wide, and well forward of any foot travel. For the same reason, where they are widest should not present any problem either, based on riding and studying my other Fatty.

Assembly begins during the week ahead!
    Last edited by TrailMaker; 01-27-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    You will never notice the rear misalignment and/or non-symmetrical stays when riding, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ah, your first experience with a powdercoater who screws stuff up! Welcome to the club!

-W
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Dudette
    Wow!!! I love how you tied everything in with the blue rim tape and the white rims. Sharp!

Nemophilist
    ...and a lot more tire clearance now that they are aired down from 40psi!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    ...and a lot more tire clearance now that they are aired down from 40psi!
    LOL I would hope so!

I was running 5 psi last night.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Mtn Biker Machinist

Stunning!

I am a sucker for that style of frame anyway, but that is a beautiful bike! Can't wait to see it built up. Where is the jaw drop emoticon?

frog

Who turned out the lights
    I agree man, it looks great. It's always interesting to watch you go through your process, and we almost always learn something from it while watching.

Nemophilist
    Ha!

Thanks again Folks. FB; That is quite gracious of you. No one is learning more than I am!

The build began very slightly on Sunday as I gooped the inside of the frame (3M Rust Fighter spray) and did the headset and fork. Today saw the 3M paint protection film I always use installed on the stays to keep them shiny and spiff. The BB, cranks, and FD went on, along with cassette, rotors, adapters, and calipers set floating awaiting custom hoses. Once the bars go on things will really get going.

Might be able to take it out for a shakedown this weekend... if I calculated everything right and didn't forget anything!

banned
    Aug 2012
    I demand a fully photo shoot ... And the girl better not detract from the bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Utterly Fabulous job - can't wait to see it finished.

They hung my last PC job vertical and managed to get huge drips from every downward facing part :-( then packaged it up completely oblivious to the mess they made - and that was from a company calling itself "Superior Powdercoating"

Nemophilist
    Fortunately;

The PC is not a mess, just not as nice as it should be. Hopefully it does not chip off
    easily, being so thick.

First pedal strokes under power today. I goofed on my first frame and the HT that was
    supposed to be 70* ended up being somewhere around 71.5*. First impressions of this
    bike are, WOW, it steers much nicer! Even with the heavy and grabby Nate tire, the
    steering seemed very neutral compared to the very heavy self steer on the Humvee.
    Absolutely no foot-to-SS clearance issues at all. Not even close, really. So far; perfect!

I did not know how to bleed the Stroker Trails, so the system is dry. I only fingered the
    brake lever once during my test creep! Not NEARLY enough cable in those custom
    Jagwire kits for this bike, so I have to order more white housing to finish the FD. Trying to
    decide between white Crud Catchers that will contrast (will it look busy?) or black that will
    quite possibly disappear visually, keeping the look cleaner. There's certainly no shortage
    of visual hooks already!

Tease;

-

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast