Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Man, this is a work of art, I'm a big fan of cruiser frame styles & to have one built like this would be the perfect bike, thers not enuff digits on the cool factor chart to measure this on, wish I had your talent.

BRAVO, BRAVO, MORE !!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Have to ask...are you a machinist or welder by trade ?? you to do some very clean work.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I started out in auto collision professionally, and was into muscle cars and such. I drove my first Porsche in 1989 and bought it two days later. Not much interest in muscle cars after that! I've transitioned away from working on cars to now eventually owning my own Porsche specialty shop. Anything fabrication has always been a natural for me, and I've just recently gotten more serious about machining, but I have no formal training in any of it. I had near a dozen bikes in my stable as a kid, so combine that love with fabrication and a serious creative streak, and voila!

Right now in the mid holiday doldrums, I'm looking at ways of fixing this powder coat job. Not near good enough for this project. I'll be working with the PCer this week, hopefully. Otherwise I could finish it in a couple of hours, but until then, no build progress.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cool mindset man, good old American ingenuity, HAIL YEOUW !!!

Ya gotta give us a clue as to what color/s you thinking .....

Nemophilist

Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

mtbr member
    Very nice TM.

Glad the Trueing went well for you. The rims must be well made in circular and joint tolerances.

Did you do a before and after weight check? Interested to see how much weight came off the rims.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Absolutely stunning work ! Thanks for sharing.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

One thing I have still not gotten is a scale for weighing such things. I've wanted one that would weigh to 10ths of a gram, from virtually nothing all the way to 15-20lbs, but I'm not sure such exists. I haven't found it yet anyway. Suffice to say it is a VERY noticeable weight loss. Really kind of geeked me out while I was doing it. I mean, I weigh 240 and it made me kind of wiggy feeling how light they were getting. I think I've read upwards of 1lb, and these are "only" 1.375 holes. I'm sure it could be searched for over on the FB Forum, as this is a common mod.

This will partially compensate for the cheap 27TPI tires it will have on it some of the time. I'll be interested to see how they hold up.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Looking very cool ... Definately keeping an eye out for the final result.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Old Will Knott!

TM -

I use this one:
    My Weigh UltraShip 35

I figure + o - 5g or so is acceptable for bike stuff, and I wanted to be able to weigh big boxes of bike frames for shipping.

If you want more/less max weight or better accuracy, you can get those things (ie 3000g max and 1g increment) for pretty cheap. They have everything scale-related known to man, it's awesome.

This sucker is close to what you're looking for:
    Citizen CT-3000H

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

One thing I have still not gotten is a scale for weighing such things. I've wanted one that would weigh to 10ths of a gram, from virtually nothing all the way to 15-20lbs, but I'm not sure such exists. I haven't found it yet anyway. Suffice to say it is a VERY noticeable weight loss. Really kind of geeked me out while I was doing it. I mean, I weigh 240 and it made me kind of wiggy feeling how light they were getting. I think I've read upwards of 1lb, and these are "only" 1.375 holes. I'm sure it could be searched for over on the FB Forum, as this is a common mod.

This will partially compensate for the cheap 27TPI tires it will have on it some of the time. I'll be interested to see how they hold up.
    Last edited by Walt; 01-01-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Nemophilist
    Thanks Walt;

A great resource!

Dudette
    Whoa! I hadn't seen this thread before, but remember you mentioning your new build on the trail at CVSP (we both were out on a picture-taking excursion and you got some shots of me). I am in complete and utter awe! That frame is a thing of beauty and I'm pretty much rendered speechless right now. I cannot wait to see you out on the trails on that!! What's the ETA on completion?

Hole Maker.
    The wheels look excellent, John! I've got a remarkably similar pair in my garage for a client.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    TM,

So happy for you that you are having such fun.

It is in concept fabrication like this that time invested in working through "meaningless projects" to build a solid foundation of problem solving pays off

Forget the powder coat, you know it is unlikely to produce the finish you desire. It's time to take the next step and begin learning the art of paint...it will enrich your experience.

rody
    As requested by the MTBR gods, I am the voice of Groovy Cycleworks, check it out... http://www.groovycycleworks.com

Mtn Biker Machinist

Wow

Blown away! That is a beautiful frame. Can't wait to see it finished and built up!

I am a machinist, and totally understand the "why buy it when I can make it" mentality. It may seem silly to the average Joe or Jane, but there is an inherent satisfaction in using something that I built with my own 2 hands and some cool machines!

I get all giddy when an idea pops in my head followed by the "I can make that" realization!

Looking forward to the finished build!

frog

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

wow

cool frame man

banned
    Aug 2012
    TM,

Fat Paint

I found what you need

WIGGLER
    The rims turned out great now we need to see a roller....come on Trail you killin us!!!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by todwil View Post
    ... now we need to see a roller....come on Trail you killin us!!!
    Yeh;

I'm at the head of that line. I should hear from the PCer tomorrow I hope. The fix won't look perfect, I don't think, but hopefully it is better than the first attempt. All I can offer right now is another tease.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Yeh;

I'm at the head of that line. I should hear from the PCer tomorrow I hope. The fix won't look perfect, I don't think, but hopefully it is better than the first attempt. All I can offer right now is another tease.
    Your such a tease.

And now for a shameless plug to top off the beautiful frame with a hand fabricated top cap. Warned you it would be a shameless plug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TrailMaker #2 - The Kroozer-dscn1631.jpg  

TrailMaker #2 - The Kroozer-dscn1630.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Yes;

I have spent time on your site, looking through all of your offerings, and was quite impressed by the creativity and craftsmanship. Plug away as much as you like as far as I'm concerned.

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by todwil View Post
    The rims turned out great now we need to see a roller....come on Trail you killin us!!!
    OK Trail we need some pics its been two weeks...and we're not taking no as an answer!!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

Nemophilist
    Yah....

How 'bout a nice pic of my proposed HT badge?

Otherwise, its a no. Rest assured... I'm not a happy camper.

-

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice badge! I like it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Snow will be all melted by the time this gets finished.

Sucks to hear the PC is holding up your build.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast