Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Wow !
    extremely nicely executed.

Post somes pics of it fully built.
    Si ca monte, ca va forcément redescendre un moment donné.
    www.becikcycles.com

Nemophilist
    Off for PC tomorrow!

Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Damn man, That is some nice work. Bending work and really nice finish work Thumbs up!

occasional cyclist

banned
    Aug 2012
    Insanely cool !!!
    I can hardly wait to see what the third one will be like

~ B A D A S S ~
    This frame is car bone approved and gets the badass frame of the year award.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Nemophilist
    Thanks Guys;

I knew this design was going to be pretty strong when it was on the screen in front of me for months, but even I am totally impressed with it. Every time I look at it I just get that;

unn Rock, rock, rock, rock, Go T Man, Go T Man, rock, rock, rock, rock feeling.

At the same time as it is glowing in my heart, I am also quite afraid that I may have shot my wad toooooo early in my career, and it will be back to obscurity!

OK, reality check. I got it back from PC yesterday. They did a nice job, but.... I wanted it two-toned, but to mask it and powder it would have been time consuming, read expensive. Well, we tried a fade. FAIL. DOINK. I should have known better than to try it, because I've done it with wet spray and it is REALLY TOUGH to get right. Powder does not necessarily go where you want it to! It is one of the most often tried and yet least successful custom looks there is, and when it is inevitably done poorly, it looks REEEEEALLY stoopid. Epic Fails at least 98% of the time it is tried. Any pro painter knows that.

Sooooo...... Now I'm looking for ways to fix it without a complete redo. Yes, I knew it in the back of my mind before hand. Yes, I knew it the minute I looked at it. Yes, I should have just left it there and asked them to redo it. The only thing that I can say about them is that they should have known right away it would not fly, but that might be asking a lot of the "non-artist."

So, more time. In the interim, I can learn how to re-lace the wheels. The drilled rims with colored strips look just utterly dope. Because this thing is going to be so incredibly awesome, the frame paint simply MUST be redone.

Tickticktickticktick.......
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

mtbr member
    That's really frustrating. I hate powder coating my frames just because it's so likely I'll screw it up.

Don't let anybody strip it who doesn't know bikes. It's not that hard for a big sand blaster to put a whole in a tube. A few years ago a gentleman on the Framebuilder's list had his lugged frame powder coated and when he picked it up most of the silver had dripped out of the lugs. They wouldn't admit it but it was obvious they screwed up the first jib and burned it off, thus melting the silver.

I've had good luck with Aircraft Remover for removing powder coat. Get some rubber gloves and wire brushes and go to town.

-Joel
    NOTHING WORKS LIKE CLOCKWORK

www.clockworkbikes.com

Harrumph
    Probably best to stick with single colors for PC.... Unless you're Spectrum. And be prepared to pay for it.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Perhaps let us judge how ugly it is?

Besides, I think we all love pics of that thing anyway

Once she's covered in mud, you may not even care what it looks like.

I don't even paint the frames I build for myself. Let them rust in peace. Costs more to do it than the tubes ran me, so why bother....

However, you're obviously detail oriented, and knowing it isn't "just right" may make you nuts. No once can know that but you!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Nemophilist
    Nope;

This is nowhere close to fail, even, but I don't really blame them. I'm the best judge there is of what is good and what I want. I'm also very good at judging what other people want, even if they don't know themselves. After hours of talking with people about their projects and what they will be like, I just tell them, "look... I have a general idea of what you think you want, but do be aware that I am not doing this for you. I'm doing it for me. If I am merely satisfied, you will be orgasmic because I can out fuss anyone. I can be as fussy as you can afford. I've never had to redo anything yet!!

I have an idea of how to salvage it worked out in my head. We'll see if we can pull it off. I think it is very doable. Until then, I'll content myself with lacing wheels and blinging them out a bit. Wait till you see this (if it works)...

mtbr member
    This looks like Aircraft Remover.

NOTHING WORKS LIKE CLOCKWORK

www.clockworkbikes.com

Harrumph
    Strategically placed painted panels?
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

banned
    Aug 2012
    I haven't used it, so I can't swear by it, but ... Permatex 80646 is supposed to be the chemical removal method of choice.

Removing Powder Coating Quickly and Cheaply -- Chopper Surplus

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Nope;

This is nowhere close to fail, even, but I don't really blame them. I'm the best judge there is of what is good and what I want. I'm also very good at judging what other people want, even if they don't know themselves. After hours of talking with people about their projects and what they will be like, I just tell them, "look... I have a general idea of what you think you want, but do be aware that I am not doing this for you. I'm doing it for me. If I am merely satisfied, you will be orgasmic because I can out fuss anyone. I can be as fussy as you can afford. I've never had to redo anything yet!!

I have an idea of how to salvage it worked out in my head. We'll see if we can pull it off. I think it is very doable. Until then, I'll content myself with lacing wheels and blinging them out a bit. Wait till you see this (if it works)...
    They may be able to just overcoat the frame. Ask before you do anything.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nemophilist

Wheel Building Hurdle #1

OK;

Check off the first one. It took a few swings, but I finally hit the first curve ball. The video tutorial I was watching used spoke holes directly opposite each other on opposing flanges. Just could not get the wheel to lace on the BS until I stopped to take note of those spoke holes. Turns out the spoke holes on these hubs are BETWEEN the ones on the other flange, so his method would not work at all. To be fair, he did mention that hubs all have their idiosyncrasies, so there are no hard rules for them.

Took a couple of tries to locate the proper starting hole for the "Innies" on the BS, but when I found it, it all came good! Two wheels laced and ready for truing.

As I mentioned previously, I've never done wheels before, but I know quite for sure that lacing is the EASY part of wheel building! What fun lies ahead....

mtbr member
    I would keep the color simple being that the frame is so nicely crafted. I would not go crazy with colors. What are you going with for components?
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    OK;

Check off the first one. It took a few swings, but I finally hit the first curve ball. The video tutorial I was watching used spoke holes directly opposite each other on opposing flanges. Just could not get the wheel to lace on the BS until I stopped to take note of those spoke holes. *Turns out the spoke holes on these hubs are BETWEEN the ones on the other flange, so his method would not work at all. To be fair, he did mention that hubs all have their idiosyncrasies, so there are no hard rules for them.

Took a couple of tries to locate the proper starting hole for the "Innies" on the BS, but when I found it, it all came good! Two wheels laced and ready for truing.

As I mentioned previously, I've never done wheels before, but I know quite for sure that lacing is the EASY part of wheel building! What fun lies ahead....
    *That is true with all hubs. Matches the position of the spoke holes in the rim. The Crank Brothers wheels being an exception.

If you are using the video I think you are, it is cr##, and screws up the lacing pattern. Read this thread: First wheel build: spoke issues.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

650b me
    I learned how to build wheels from Sheldon Brown. Not personally, of course. What a loss for the cycling community. Nobody gave the straight dope like Sheldon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Also refer to Zinn's books for good tutorials on wheelbuilding. I've done about 30 pairs and always refer to my 2004 Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance when lacing. Worked fine for my offset GFS Pugz wheelset.

Be careful and count your turns and revolutions while tensioning. Gravy's signature of one colored nipple is worth stealing, as you should go 1/4 turns all the way around as you tension. Resist the urge to go for more. It is also important to start with all nipples at 3 threads visible. Staying religious with this will build a wheel with minimal hop and fast truing. Oh, and the first beer should come AFTER you get it laced. then it might take 2-3 during the tensioning/truing phase.

Nemophilist
    Well;

I was indeed using the Bike Tube vid. After I figured out the offset spoke hole thing, the only thing that was "difficult" was getting the fist spoke in the right spot to line the logo on the hub with the valve hole. I ran each spoke on roughly 5 turns to start. I then took my screw driver and ran them until the driver would not any more. At this point they were not tight. Then, I used the spoke wrench for 5 half turns more each. By feel they were moderately snug at this point. I dropped the front wheel in the fork and SHAZZAM! No hop at all, and it only took 5 minutes to bring into true to my taste. Mostly it was trying to optimize the rather loose tolerance of the rim joint! The "ting test" has all spokes sounding off in tune, to an amazing degree, frankly.

Simple!

Since the front was so easy, I am of course fully prepared for the rear wheel to be an absolute beyach.

mtbr member
    Well done TM. No 2 rims are ever alike, and the challenge of the rim joint.......

Keep up the good work.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

Nemophilist
    Thanks Mate;

I must be the wheel building savant. The rear one was just as easy as the front. I have not trued it yet, and need to check it for center, but it also has zero hop and very little run out. Of course not having to calculate spoke lengths and all that is a big advantage, but simply taking them apart and putting them back together was not very difficult.

Or maybe I just got lucky.....

mtbr member
    I'm feeling quite inspired. Where does one source a 100mm steel bb shell?
    There is nothing more difficult to plan or more dangerous to manage than the establishment of a new order of things.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I've gotten them from both Whipsmart and Paragon.

WIGGLER
    Hey Trail we need some update pics!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast