Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    VERY Slick! I really like SS/DO interface. Great job there and very creative.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Dragged me over from the fatbike forum John.

That is just gorgeous. Well done doesn't begin to describe my thoughts.

Wish I had you time, energy, patience, and tooling. I've built close to 30 frames at this point, but they are all hack jobs compared to this.

Ever find yourself up my way with it, stop in, I'd love to see it in person.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Impressive piece of work.

Congrats!

Looking forward to see it finished.

Cheers!!!

Charlie War.

Nemophilist
    Thanks Everyone;

I am truly gratified by the results so far, and your consideration as well. It's the warm glow of having something really click and speak to you. I am now grappling with the cost of powder coating pitted against my aesthetic demands for the project, and getting peripheral bits ready for whatever finish ultimately awaits them. To wit;

Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Hole Maker.
    TM, which tubing did you use for this? The overall design is absolutely stunning, but I keep returning to the photos of the stays and dropouts. Amazing.

Build me one in ti or stainless?

mtbr member
    TM-
    Stellar job!!
    I second the best 2nd frame ever.
    I'm jealous of your curvy-tubed Rotundcycle!
    I love the tape and coat hanger fixturing. Classic! Beautiful dropout/stay work.

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by cendres View Post
    TM, which tubing did you use for this? The overall design is absolutely stunning, but I keep returning to the photos of the stays and dropouts. Amazing. Build me one in ti or stainless?
    Hey;

Don't know nuttin bout Ti. Stainless might not be too much of a stretch, though.

Boring old straight gauge .035 ChroMo. for this one. The stays are all .750. I thought if I ever built another one, I might get away with .028 x .750 for the SSs at least, and bridges/braces. Save a little weight, given the redundancy of some of the tubing here. .028 x .750 is lighter than .035 x .675, by the by... and I'd imagine it might also stronger too. Don't know, but it's an interesting thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Whit;

You were very kind to take an interest in my earliest ramblings on this topic of frame building, and I'm glad you like it.

-
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

Nemophilist
    COOL;

The Big Brown Truck just paid a visit!

Hole Maker.
    Brown Santa!

Idea: Rather than powder, emery cloth it and clear it. The heat-affected zones look really cool.

Nemophilist
    Meh;

I'm not big on raw, really. My welds are nothing to show off either! Besides, clear won't stay on bare metal for long.

Annoyance - I wanted to get rid of the juvenile SINZ logo on the seat clamp. Figured I'd take the lever and buff it off with a rag and some compound. Yep, buffed off, but the white powder coat is pretty thin, and I went through it! Damn. Well, nothing to lose. Tried a little carb cleaner on a rag and the same logo on the clamp body wiped right off like grease. DOUBLE Damn!

How come you always find out what to do first second?!?!

Hole Maker.
    Heh. Measure once, cut twice...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow. I really need to learn how to weld.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Nemophilist

Another in a Series...

Just for those that love to agonize over my "time wasting projects."

This is my Problem Solver for my Problem Solver; taking a standard 68/73 direct mount derailleur adapter out to a 100mm Fatbike version. Why, you are doubtless asking? There are very good reasons for it.

1) ANY project that requires making something out of metal is good in my book.

2) Every time I do one, I learn and improve.

3) Saved me another shipping charge. ??

Tried buying anything for a Fatbike lately? If you have, you already know where I am going. The Fat market is exploding so fast that you just can't find anything. If you do, you better not hesitate or it will be GONE. I had a nice little order all put together, and only needed a few $$ more to get free shipping. Ha! I'll get the FD/DM. They don't HAVE the Fat mount?!?! Out of Stock?!?!

Ta Da. Another $10, another cardboard box, another week... or another project? Win, win, win. It's all good to me!

-

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Just for those that love to agonize over my "time wasting projects."-
    What? If possible I'd rather make the part than buy if reasonably possible.

Find it funny that you can not find anything fatbike as they are to popular. Here the LBS will not order one as they are afraid it will never sell.

Harrumph
    If my "machine shop" consisted of more than a harbor freight bench grinder and a dremel.... I'd look for reasons to make that kind of thing.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    What? If possible I'd rather make the part than buy if reasonably possible.
    I guess it depends on your frame of reference. Many here feel it is a poor use of their time, and would rather buy their bits. We obviously fill a different frame!

Find it funny that you can not find anything fatbike as they are to popular. Here the LBS will not order one as they are afraid it will never sell.
    Ironic indeed. They are out of touch with their own industry. Fatbikes are the fastest growing portion of it right now. If nothing else, they should see the value in having something that draws people's attention, even if it didn't sell. The smart businessman would get one and start taking it on the weekly shop/group rides. When people experienced them, he'd be selling them regularly in very little time after that!

Tell this shop to check out the Global Fatbike Day thread, over on the busiest forum on MTBR!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Sweet!

I just hope that your legs do not scrap against the forward seat stays.....2 tone?
    That was my second thought (after WOW that's beautiful dropout work!!). With as wide of a BB and crank setup as he'll run for going fat it may not be an issue. I hit mine all the time on my 36er but I'm just used to it now. Only bang it hard every once in a while.

Harrumph
    Heel clearance might be the function behind the form. On my new Fatty using the same drops, shorter chainstays and size 12.5 Lake's I'm just barely Ok. But I offset my chainstay at the dropout outboard as much as practical. With how he finished the drops having nothing outboard of the drops themselves..... I bet TM's just fine in that regard, unless he pronates worse than I do with huge feet.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I agonized over that very issue, to the point of actually posting a thread about how one manipulated a tube in two planes. I note that the custom Fatback Ti belt drive cruiser does not appear to have any significant manipulation of the SSs in the horizontal plane, but I never found any good pics of the rear end of it.

I had all kinds of ideas for how to try it, but in the end I just didn't feel like potentially wasting many $$$ worth of tubing trying to find out. The thing that sealed the deal for this design was riding my current fatbike to see. My feet were FAR outboard of where those SSs were, will be far below where these arched ones will lie, I think, and it suddenly became a non issue in my mind. Sure, they will be closer than normal, and there may be more contact than normal if I get lazy, but I don't think it will be a big deal.

I hope.

I'm really looking forward to the new CS layout. They are straight back from the bend around the tire to the DO, and well inboard of where my first design was on the Humvee. I do have some moderate contact on it, so I'm interested to try this one out. The low mount Paragon DOs really made this all possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Curious as to why you went this route over making a braze on FD mount.

(really like the chainstays, BTW)

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes View Post
    Curious as to why you went this route over making a braze on FD mount.
    Hey;

The rigidity of the braze on is nice, but comes at the price of adjustability. This adapter defeats some of the advantage of the direct mount, but I have had many times where giving the FD a little radial tweak was just the cure for the constant battle between chain rub in higher gears and a crisp downshift under power into lower ones.

Anyway... amongst all the other new challenges, I added cable stays on this one. One hurdle at a time, please.

Nemophilist

One What?
    To sick, TrailMaker! I am in awe of your fabrication skills. Also can't wait to see the pics of the finished product.

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFix View Post
    To sick, TrailMaker! I am in awe of your fabrication skills. Also can't wait to see the pics of the finished product.
    Thanks Mate;

Me either. I'm just this close to saying screw the PCer and painting it myself!

650b me
    I rattle-canned my first and only (so far) frame. Not knowing how long the frame would last, I didn't want to spend the $$$ for a good paint job. Several hundred miles later, I kinda wish I had invested in a good paint job. Yours is a beautiful frame....please be patient!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast