mtbr member
    May 2006

Titanium MTB Tubing

Iíve been searching the inter-webs for Ti MTB tubing and coming up short. Nova has a few road tubes but no chainstays in stock. I cant seem to find anything bike specific on the TiSports website. Titanium Joe doesnít seem to have anything other than straight gauge (no tapers or butted tubing). Everyone else seems to sell steel only.

Iím I missing someone? Where are you getting your Ti stuff from?

mtbr member
    Google is your friend:

http://www.titubing.com/

mtbr member
    www.bikeschool.com - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I haven't tried to buy any ti tubing from UBI aka Bikeschool, but I was under the impression that they got out of the ti tubing game.

You can also get butted ti tubing from Dedaccia via Joe Bringheli
    http://www.bringheli.com/PDF/DEDACCIAICARBON.pdf

mtbr member
    If you want tapered your going to have to take the straight gauge tube to a swagger and have them done there .
    Ti-Sports can manipulate tubes but there very expensive and they got out of the bike game a few years back so limited run's of custom ti-tubes from them will be very costly.
    there are a few other swagger's down in the SoCal area that deal with bike stuff , primarily steel but I assume they could do TI as well if you requested it .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks everyone for the responses. At this point it looks like my only ďrealĒ option for tapered stays is the Dedaccia stuff through Joe (cant believe I forgot about him, I bought his jig for crying out loud). I may have to build with straight gauge, no taper stays.

Iím assuming the cost is what has driven most suppliers out of the business?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anybody ever work with these guys: http://www.fairing.com/default.asp

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You can always externally butt as well, which is easy enough to do own your own.
    Too many bikes, not enough time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnaeus
    You can always externally butt as well, which is easy enough to do own your own.
    Not that I will ever do it but I have always wondered how this is done, is it done by centreless grinding?

mtbr member
    UBI doesn't sell tubing anymore.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ausdb
    Not that I will ever do it but I have always wondered how this is done, is it done by centreless grinding?
    That would certainly work, although not many builders or home shops are likely to have a centerless grinder. I've seen at least one Ti manufacturer that just uses a lathe to ext. butt all their tubes. It also makes off-center butting of head tubes easy.
    Too many bikes, not enough time.