metrotuned WoS

New question here. Titanium Fork Steerer Tube Crack

Was service bleeding the front brake when I noticed this crack in the steerer tube from underneath the fork. I'm relieved to have found it as I bombed down a high speed descent just the other day. Thoughts? Is the fork done? What happens when this weld fails? Repairable?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titanium Fork Steerer Tube Crack-titanium-fork-crack-steerer-tube.jpg  

#willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    Was service bleeding the front brake when I noticed this crack in the steerer tube from underneath the fork. I'm relieved to have found it as I bombed down a high speed descent just the other day. Thoughts? Is the fork done? What happens when this weld fails? Repairable?
    Looks repairable to me with my limited titanium knowledge and experience, but there are much more knowledgable people on this forum that can give their opinions.

metrotuned WoS
    As long as no catastrophic failure comes out of riding it to a Titan tig welder to spot weld. Speaking of which, I'm seeking a welder that works with titanium in the Bay Area, anywhere in the Bay, preferably within 10 miles of a BART station.
    Last edited by illnacord; 01-20-2014 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Seeking experienced TITANIUM welder
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Harrumph
    I'm not really Ti, or even TIG, smart. But I'm guessing you won't find a credible Ti guy who will want to touch that.

I'm guessing this is not a fork made buy a small builder. Meaning mass produced for cheap in China or thereabouts. If I'm wrong you should be figuring out who did build it and asking them these questions.

Rule #1 with Ti is it needs to be VERY clean prior to welding, and VERY shielded with gas during welding. I don't know how either would be accomplished in this case.

If the rest of the welds on a segmented Ti fork are potentially of the same quality I wouldn't ride it even the broken weld was fixable.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

metrotuned WoS
    G-reg, thanks for the couch opinion. Don't associate durability with who built it: if it's a factory with Ford assembly line, or an angry drunk in a garage, and for what cost has little to do with it. I've seen Black Sheep ti unicrown forks break, too. I'll do the legwork and report back.

metrotuned WoS

Update: Fork replaced under warranty

Titanium Fork Steerer Tube Crack-replacement-fork.jpg

Advised NOT to ride the fork. Replacement fork in hand. Manufacturer replaced under warranty. The replacement fork crown appears distinct to cracked fork crown.