mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Tell me if I'm Crazy

Hi I'm a newb, this is my first post. been a long time lurker for advice now and then and usually can find an answer by doing a search. But not this time.....so here goes.

I am looking to build up a frame for my wife, specifically a 2012 Juliana with tapered head.

(Back Story) Recently the Juli's went on sale at our local Sport Chalet for 70% off down to $900 (discontinued). My wife liked the feel and ride, only problem they were all out of the White and she did not want a blue one. So wanting to please her I scoured the internet looking on eBay and wherever else for any other deals....None could be found. I ended up on Santa Cruz's site and found they are closing out the frames at $550. Well I bought one, not really thinking about the rest of what I needed. Found out build kits start at around $600, and I still need tires and forks. That puts me out of my budget of that nice $900.

(The Question) What problems would/could I run into just buying a Motobecane on bikesdirect and porting over all the parts need? I can get one with either a SRAM X4 or Deore and Disc brakes for around $350 out the door. This would included tires and forks.

I really don't want to here about quality of parts. i.e. shifting, smoothness etc. She's no expert rider, def not aggressive. I just need something to start off with. I can do upgrades later as we go.

Can it be done?

PS. This will be my first build.

Thanks.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Hey, uh, I think you misunderstand the purpose of this forum. It is to discuss the construction of bike frames from individual tubes et al - not the assembly of complete bicycles starting with a frame.

That said bikesdirect has good entry level bikes for very low prices, provided you know how to finish assembly. They arrive most of the way assembled and require simple tuning.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hence "Frame" Building.

Thanks, I'll repost in another forum.