Most Delicious

Surface flaws on aircraft tubing?

So I made this seat sleeve for my next frame and after reaming out some of the brass drips I noticed what looks like a crack running perpendicular to the length of the tubing.

The tubing is your standard ASTM aircraft tubing and it's 1.8mm thick. I reamed it with an 8" crescent wrench on my adjustable reamer so I can't see that I was getting enough force to pop a crack in the tubing. But it sure looks like a crack. I don't see anything on the inside, though.

I'm going to slot the binder next and hope tightening it down on a post might reveal if it's a crack. I obviously don't want to finish the whole frame and have the seat tube split on the first ride, so I'm hoping it's just a surface flaw. Anybody ever seen anything like this?

Name:  photo (32).JPG
Views: 403
Size:  52.1 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Magnaflux? You can fabricate an electromagnet quick and dirty, and filings usually live under the vise on your workbench.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You could get some welding crack penetrating dye. Local welding store should have some and the associated developer for under $20. Will work well on applications like this where you have a smooth surface easily accessed.

WIGGLER
    One of the legs on my Amp fork has a similar flaw. It doesnt seem like a crack just ugly.
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

mtbr member
    If this was my result, I would go back to the donor tube that I cut the sleeve from and cut another piece off it. The common dominator for me would be heat, so I would torch it up to the brazing temp. and let it cool down and inspect. If I replicated that line, I would crush it in the jaws of a vise with the line in the open area, not against the jaws. If it split real easy on the line, I would be going back to the supplier of the tubing....

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Malcolm View Post
    If this was my result, I would go back to the donor tube that I cut the sleeve from and cut another piece off it. The common dominator for me would be heat, so I would torch it up to the brazing temp. and let it cool down and inspect. If I replicated that line, I would crush it in the jaws of a vise with the line in the open area, not against the jaws. If it split real easy on the line, I would be going back to the supplier of the tubing....
    Oh yeah, that would be the smart thing to do, wouldn't it? (smacks head)

mtbr member
    Hey, I contemplated that answer for some time, I knew I had to be careful....

Eric

Most Delicious
    A test piece of tubing passed the heat 'n squash test, so I guess the tubing is ok. Looking closely at the rest of the stock in better light I can see the surface flaw continue through the whole length.

mtbr member
    Without going to the use of dye, if you were to polish the blemish, how would it look?
    I mean, if it polishes clean and in good light you cannot see a hairline, it would be good?
    If when you polish and there is a slight depression leaving a darkened line it would be a flaw as it should be fully round. But it may not be a crack (glass half-full thinking) a light filing to even up the thickness might see off any concerns though the picture seems to show an even surface. I have had tapered fork blades have a look like that and when I polished up with emery cloth found it to be mandrel marks, but I would not expect a seamless 4130 round tube to show those sort of marks. Otherwise...?

Eric

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    probably a piece of cruft in the die that then got rolled out in the drawing process. There has been some really crummy 4130 floating around for the last couple of years