650b me

Steel seat tube stock for 30.9mm post

My wife wants a dropper post on the frame I'm building next for her. Apparently, she's more progressive than me. Anyway, I'd like the frame to accommodate a 30.9 post. A 27.2 dropper post sounds flimsy to me. I found a (forum) post here that claims Reynolds makes the tubing I desire, but I can't find a source for Reynolds tubing that does not require a business license.

Anyone know of other manufacturers that offer what I need? Or a source for Reynolds tubing that does not require a business license? Or, you have the tubing I need and you're willing to sell it to me?

WIGGLER
    How about going to 31.6 seat post then you can use 1-3/8" .035 tubing with a .065
    Slug at the end it fits the post perfectly.
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    My wife wants a dropper post on the frame I'm building next for her. Apparently, she's more progressive than me. Anyway, I'd like the frame to accommodate a 30.9 post. A 27.2 dropper post sounds flimsy to me. I found a (forum) post here that claims Reynolds makes the tubing I desire, but I can't find a source for Reynolds tubing that does not require a business license.

Anyone know of other manufacturers that offer what I need? Or a source for Reynolds tubing that does not require a business license? Or, you have the tubing I need and you're willing to sell it to me?
    Size the seat tube for a 31.6 and use a shim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    The 27.2 droppers are in no way flimsy and your wife will not break them. Gravitydropper has been making essentially the same thing for a decade and they still work great. Thomson and KS also have 27.2.

That said, assuming you want a larger diameter, do what Todd says and just do 31.6. You can get all the same posts and it is much, much easier.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a Gravity Dropper in 27.2 and it's in no way flimsy. Actually just bough another one at the annual bike swap for $30. Score.

With that said I will likely be getting my girlfriend a Reverb and would build a bike for her with 31.6 seattube as I am 99% sure she will prefer the feel and infinite adjustment of the Reverb.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    That's a good point. If you want a 2-position (ie, saddle up for pedaling, down for descending) setup the GD is a huge win. If you want to constantly tweak your saddle height then the infinite adjust setups are way better. The GD is also kind of klunky to operate (ie not slow/smooth when changing heights) but I could care less about that myself. To me it's a way to not have to stop and lower my saddle before a long descent, then stop again and make sure it's back in the right position for the next big climb.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The GD can be ordered with multi position. The one I rode all last season is set up with 1 inch down or 4 inches down.

A friend rides one with 1 inch down or 3 inches down. He just recently set his up with a Fox DOS lever and wow is it smooth and better than the original GD lever. He rides singlespeed so it's positioned where a regular rear shifter would be and it's a boss set-up.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I can't use those ones because I have terrible knees from moto wrecks during my wasted youth, so if the saddle is 1" down it might as well be all the way down - I can't pedal unless it's all the way up anyway.

The GD lever is a godawful piece of junk, yes.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

650b me
    OK then, I'll stick with the Nova externally-butted 28.6 seat tube and get her a 27.2 dropper post. I know nothing about dropper posts. Good to hear that folks like the 27.2 models. I'm planning my next personal frame to be for a 27.2 post, but my plan is to buy a ti setback post for added comfort. It's nice to know I can go that route, but still have the option to switch to a dropper post. It's tough being a retro-grouch in the ever-evolving mtb world.

Stokeless Asshat
    Did you just say Boss? Haven't heard that since 72".
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    The GD can be ordered with multi position. The one I rode all last season is set up with 1 inch down or 4 inches down.

A friend rides one with 1 inch down or 3 inches down. He just recently set his up with a Fox DOS lever and wow is it smooth and better than the original GD lever. He rides singlespeed so it's positioned where a regular rear shifter would be and it's a boss set-up.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

650b me
    Resurrecting this thread...

To reiterate: My goal is to make a steel bike frame that will accommodate a 30.9mm seatpost.

My request: Name a source, manufacturer and part number for a steel tube that will allow me to achieve the above goal.

Ideally, I'd like a tube that is ready for reaming to fit a 30.9 post, but optionally, I'll consider an oversized tube that can be shimmed down to 30.9. I can't for the life of me find a source for such a tube.

mtbr member
    Get yourself a lathe, or at least a friend with one.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    +1 to that. Or do 31.6. Ask Feldybikes to help you out.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Golden Boy,
    I have 3 CX2463-3431 853 31.6 ID seat tubes if you'd like one shoot me a pm.
    It looks like you'd like the Reynolds CX2287 853 30.9 ID, maybe on my next order in a couple months?
    cheers
    andy walker
    walker bicycle co.
    andywalker.info

650b me
    Thanks Andy, I'll let you know. Seems like I've heard 853 is a b*tch to ream, no?

mtbr member
    Columbus do an externally butted seat tube for MTBs. Available in 550mm or 635mm lengths. 0.7/0.5/0.9 butts. It is 32.7mm OD at the bottom, and the external butt is 33.5mm OD. It takes a 31.6mm seatpost, which can be shimmed to 30.9 (I did so on my last build). The lower butt on the 550 is 250mm and can be shortened by up to 165mm, giving a range of seatpost lengths down as low as 385mm.

Code: ZON113...001 (replace ... with the chosen length).

I get mine from Ceeway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Reynolds also do the mentioned seattubes in 631, not got part numbers to hand but can supply if needed. Same profile as the 853 off the top of my head and the same 4 lengths

Matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes, CX5287 in 631. 33.1/30.9id 1.1/0.55/.9 550 length. Only see 1 length, maybe they added more.
    ^Matt, you find 853 hard to ream?
    cheers
    andy walker

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yep, 853 can be a pain if it gets distorted, I tend to use 631 now.

Mastt

mtbr member

I can confirm that the ...sorry- I wasn't home when I wrote this before. The tube I meant is the VERUSSTMAG2 tube from HJ is tapered to a 31.6 ID on one end and could take a shim for a 30.9 post (that's my plan, anyway).
    Last edited by alshead; 11-07-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."