mtbr member

spring show and tell and a little something for live wire finally

Hey yall, I threw up some pics on a new flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/26256739@N06/
    Rat Rod is totally inspired by some of my favorite frames from the early 90's, Eastern Woods Research. I had been wanting to build one for years and some of the features of the frame really lend to the 29inch wheel size. I love the way this bike rides, great clearance for the reba knobs and tons of standover. I held true to form by using a 40 mm bb drop and steepish angles (for me). I was stoked to find out that ERW is back and bilenky is building the frames, they look sweet.

The swinger dropouts were inspired by a conversation last summer with my friend Jake. He wants to build a 29er someday and we were talking about chain tension/disc brake/gears options. I'm still a fan of the ebb but not dogmatic. Some people just cant wrap their heads around the concept and simplicity but thats ok, freedom of choice is cool. Jake wasn't a fan of the ebb, and he did not love the sliders either, horizontals with horizontal adjustable disc tabs are super simple but can be problematic for adjustment, wheel removal etc. So Jake said make the slider pivot. I drew out about 20 designs and stuck with two to try, My goals were, near as flat as possible axle path, not too massive frame component, bomber, and hopefully pleasing to look at.
    I worked and built some templates, then some by hand in the shop then had a refined version h20 cut. I was so stoked, the move more than sliders and look cooler(to me) and they were cromo for ease of fabrication. I thought, cool, ill test them out and sell them if anybody wants them...Then I saw Todd's (blackcatbicycles) and it broke my heart. His were way prettier, I still think so, but since he is young and has some attitude, it doesn't look like too many other folks will be using his so unless you want a black cat (not a bad choice, beautiful frames) I say make your own and solve your own problems. I would like to offer my version as open source. Ill email you a dxf and you get them cut. Ive been riding them since january and cant get them to slip. If you want to put on set screw I say go for it.
    live wire, there's pics of the old square seat stay bender. yeah yardsale tools!
    happy spring, and thanks Walt for moderating this forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sweet Wade...building for fun is in fact just that

That baby deserves some kick'n paint though, it's got more style than a rat

What made you decide to run the tubing connector in the DT instead of just mitering it like we use to do on Jay's bikes?

cheers,

rody
    As requested by the MTBR gods, I am the voice of Groovy Cycleworks, check it out... http://www.groovycycleworks.com

mtbr member

looks a little different plus

I'm not a fan of butt welding tubes without a sleeve internally or externally The perpendicular tube gives lots of welding surface and leaves a place for a cool hotwheels style mag wheel plug. It generates a lot of interest, "is that a pivot?" My friend calls it the center of the universe.
    Rody nice to meet you in pdx by the way.
    cheers, Wade

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    seems most people who ride bikes will like to store "stuff" in that spot

Cheers,
    Drew

ps-personally i am a beer drinker, much harder to bring on rides.
    Engin Cycles - www.engincycles.com

mtbr member
    Hey Wade,
    We did one for a customer last year. You're right, the features do solve a couple of inherent problems of the 29er platform - standover and fork crown clearance - something obviously not envisaged by the original owners as of course there was no such thing as 29" wheels back then.

It's great to see EWR back and kudos to you for crediting them as we did when we did ours.

No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Framebuilder
    Thanks for the pics Dude. That bender is exactly how I pictured it.
    I concur that a 29er with 4-5cm BB drop rides the best....especially when you are trying to replicate more of a 26" feel for standing and accelerating. My personal bike has a 4.5cm drop- it does take away some standover, not a big deal for me, but a huge issue for some.

Who turned out the lights
    Cool bike Wade. I liked my EBB bike, but I hate moving my seatpost, so when I build my next bike, I think some kind of swinger is in order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cool. I think some set screws would be a nice addition as well.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by vulture
    Cool bike.
    Reminds me of this:

Love the color. And the rat rod appearance. Nice Wade.
    Just a regular guy.