mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Some help full suspension guys -

Hi guys -

I am almost done designing this frame, and still can't decide how to actuate the shock. I would like to have the shock mounted on the bottom of the TT, and have it be actuated by a shaft (that is mounted accordingly on the swing-arm) that then travels through a misalignment bearing.

The frame will be constructed out of steel, and is to scale in the pic.

Fun ideas are welcome too! (Thank you for any guidance)

Some help full suspension guys --63-degree-beast.jpg

mtbr member
    Hey,

Not sure what you've got going on in the picture there, but if you still don't have the suspension stuff designed, you've got a lot of work left.
    I just finished my first FS and there's no way I could have done it without this program: Linkage Bike Simulation Software - News

That'll give you all the important numbers you need and you can mess around with moving pivots and things like that too see how stuff changes.

good luck,
    Adam

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I will look at the site - thank you.

Is the drawing confusing? I can add a couple captions if that would make some details more apparent.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    ...You want the shock inside the top tube?

Yo, that is not first-timer suspension stuff. I get the idea of a cam or misalignment bearing, but can you give your rationale for wanting the shock inside the TT?

If I misinterpreted then never mind...

I'm down for some Rube Goldberg ideas, but make sure your individual parts are practical if this is your first squish frame.

...Is it your first frame, period? Take it from an acolyte, do not cut your teeth on suspension. If I'm assuming too much then apologies for that too.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by kylejamers View Post
    I would like to have the shock mounted on the bottom of the TT, and have it be actuated by a shaft (that is mounted accordingly on the swing-arm) that then travels through a misalignment bearing.
    I'm not really following, but it kind of sounds like the old Santa Cruz Tazmon.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Come back when you have built something easier, you'll have the experience to be able to ask questions/explain in a way that makes more sense.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have a couple ideas, but would like to avoid anything majorly complex or expensive.

Also, I would prefer to have the rate be as linear as possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I want to see if the framebuilding collective has a better idea (for shock actuation) than I do.

That is precisely what I asked if you guys would do.

(This draft is basic because I was trying out SketchUp for the first time)

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Ok...

The problem is that we don't actually know what your idea even *is*, because you haven't tried/don't know how to communicate it. Everyone who has responded has built multiple frames and wants to see you succeed, so if the response is universally "huh?" you need to work harder to get your idea across.

If this is your first frame, do something else. If it's not, do some more reading and drawing and post again in such a way that we can help. It's also helpful to post some pictures of your actual metal work/practice joints, because there are a ton of folks with sketchup who like to draw bikes in the world who will never build them. If you're serious about this you are already practicing. If you're not, start now!

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    ...You want the shock inside the top tube?

Yo, that is not first-timer suspension stuff. I get the idea of a cam or misalignment bearing, but can you give your rationale for wanting the shock inside the TT?

If I misinterpreted then never mind...

I'm down for some Rube Goldberg ideas, but make sure your individual parts are practical if this is your first squish frame.

...Is it your first frame, period? Take it from an acolyte, do not cut your teeth on suspension. If I'm assuming too much then apologies for that too.
    I don't want the shock in the TT. What I've considered is, mounting the shock parallel to the TT, directly on the underside of it - However, that sort of design would require a relatively complex shaft assembly from the swing-arm, combined with an unnecessarily complicated combination of linear bearings and/or misalignment bushings/bearings.

That level of complication is something that I want to avoid.

This is my first bicycle, but not my first design experience. (I am a designer, and this is supposed to be fun!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The problem is that we don't actually know what your idea even *is*, because you haven't tried/don't know how to communicate it. Everyone who has responded has built multiple frames and wants to see you succeed, so if the response is universally "huh?" you need to work harder to get your idea across.

If this is your first frame, do something else. If it's not, do some more reading and drawing and post again in such a way that we can help. It's also helpful to post some pictures of your actual metal work/practice joints, because there are a ton of folks with sketchup who like to draw bikes in the world who will never build them. If you're serious about this you are already practicing. If you're not, start now!

-Walt
    I appreciate the personal response Walt -

The sentence or two that I wrote about my idea for the shock is probably not a very great idea (that isn't explained well either). I didn't post here for advice about that possibility though (I probably should've removed my idea from the initial post).

I posted here to ask how you guys would incorporate the shock, on this frame design.

Know what I mean?

Also, I won't be constructing the frame - It will be built by someone from the auto industry (that is a 'framebuilder' by trade).

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by kylejamers View Post

I posted here to ask how you guys would incorporate the shock, on this frame design.
    The problem here is that no one can decipher your frame design.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Ok, where are the pivots, what wheel path are you trying for, how are you going to lay things out? Your drawing just shows an (apparently bottomed out?) wheel and what I guess I would interpret to be a one piece rear end?

I'd suggest just starting a new thread when you have some more useful drawings.

-W
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Fair enough.