Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Geometry

Aqua,

forgive me if I missed it in an earlier post, but what are the measurements of your new machine???

Negative Rep Points!!!!

The Studio Pics

All prettied up and ready for the big dance.

22.5 pounds as a 1 speed.

23.5 pounds as a 3 speed .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    All prettied up and ready for the big dance.
    She's still got it!

Ditch the exi's and you'll be in the low 21's pretty quick!

mtbr member
    Beautiful!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    She's still got it!

Ditch the exi's and you'll be in the low 21's pretty quick!
    They are heavy, but have great traction here in SD. I especially like them uphill in sand and loose rock.

This bike looks so cool in those action shots it is unbearable.

mechmann_mtb
    Aquaholic...

are you sure you don't want to tag along to Gooseberry Mesa and break that beautiful bike in? your skinny butt won't take up too much room in the Tahoe. we can probably even make some room inside the back (instead of on the rack) for that freakishly beautiful MTB you will soon have in your posession. should be a pretty low budget trip. i think we are going to leave on the 13th and return on the 16th. allison can probably promise a gig or so of wonderfull pictures of you in God's Skatepark

no pressure.

LOL

Kill your... television

Finally!

All done? Good! Now it is on to the important frame. #16
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Geometry 101

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone
    Aqua,

forgive me if I missed it in an earlier post, but what are the measurements of your new machine???
    Here is some of the basic geometry info for my One.

Effective top tube length 23.5” / 597mm

Effective seat tube angle 72 degrees

head tube angle 69 degrees

fork 435mm x 63mm

trail 74mm

bb height 11-11.5” / 279mm-292mm

crank 170mm

chainstay length 16.75”-17.25” / 425mm-438mm

By changing around the head set spacers the head tube can be raised or lowered 12mm / .47” on the fork steerer tube.

More spacers above the head tube will give the bike steeper angles and a lower bb.

More spacers below the head tube will give the bike slacker angles and a higher bb.

It is currently set 2mm higher than center.

Recovering couch patato
    69º HTA, 74mm trail, there must be loads of offset in that fork! I'd love to know how that feels. I'm used to such trail, but found in a totally different way, steeper HTA, less offset.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Serial #

I was going to have him put "FoShizzle Sucks" as my serial #, but I settled on this.

PS MotoMan. I have been saving up every stupid, time consuming, question I have for JJ. I'm waiting for him to start your build so I can unleash.

Kill your... television

PS MotoMan. I have been saving up every stupid, time consuming, question I have for JJ. I'm waiting for him to start your build so I can unleash.
    I am sure that you have already asked him every stupid, time consuming question...
    Last edited by motoman711; 01-05-2006 at 11:36 AM.
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

mtbr member

That thing sucks!

It doesn't look like it nearly has the clearance for a Reba.

Just kidding

Occasionally engaged

60 mm of rake...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    69º HTA, 74mm trail, there must be loads of offset in that fork!
    Anvil's Rake and Trail calculator says that means on the order of 60 mm of fork offset. That seems like it would make a really long front end (bb to front dropout) -- probably a record for anything shown on this board. What's that measurement and the overall wheelbase? Personally, I like the front wheel well out in front of the bars.

Finally, what's the range of the HTA that can be covered with your "adjustable" head tube? You should try the bike at both ends of the spectrum and report to us on how it changes the handling -- if it does at all...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    69º HTA, 74mm trail, there must be loads of offset in that fork! I'd love to know how that feels. I'm used to such trail, but found in a totally different way, steeper HTA, less offset.
    "fork 435mm (A-C) x 63mm (rake/offset)"
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering couch patato
    Thanks, I'm blind.

63mm, wow!

Compare that to :
    Monocog : 474/39mm
    Pace 26" : 440/41
    Surly KM : 468/43
    On-One29: 470/47

Can't wait till I someday ride a bike so much different.
    For bigger newbies than myself : 6mm of offset more or less equals 1º of head tube angle, in terms of handling quickness (trail). With 16mm more than the On-One's as second-longest offset, the Jones makes up for over 2 degrees in HTA, and offering almost 2" more toe clearance (wheel pushed forward.

Aquaholic, maybe you can try to compare how Jeff's bike rode compared to other stuff you've ridden? Familiair trail I'm sure, but in which way is it different?

Kill your... television
    Aquaholic, maybe you can try to compare how Jeff's bike rode compared to other stuff you've ridden? Familiair trail I'm sure, but in which way is it different?
    From Jones bikes I have ridden I can say that the bike still handles very quick. The nice thing about the having the wheel way out in front (besides toe clearence) is the confidence it gives you when landing gnarly stuff or even pointing it down really steep stuff.

Ti
    Misfit

Occasionally engaged

Trail is trail...

Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    From Jones bikes I have ridden I can say that the bike still handles very quick. The nice thing about the having the wheel way out in front (besides toe clearence) is the confidence it gives you when landing gnarly stuff or even pointing it down really steep stuff.
    Trail is trail no matter how you get there, so this bike is not so much different than many production bikes with regards to how the front end should steer. My fork has 50 mm of rake, which puts the front wheel out further than most, but not anything like must exist on this bike! I do like the confidence inspiring aspect of that large front wheel way out in front when rolling off something rocky and steep.

Clearly a Jones bike can do some amazing things, but I have a hard time understanding how it is balanced -- with a slack seat tube and short stays and the front wheel so far out in front it would seem that in comparison to other bikes much more of the weight is on the back wheel. In my estimation, that's likely to be more "different" in comparison to other bikes than the front end handling. But then, I may be thinking about this all wrong...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT
    Trail is trail no matter how you get there, so this bike is not so much different than many production bikes with regards to how the front end should steer. My fork has 50 mm of rake, which puts the front wheel out further than most, but not anything like must exist on this bike! I do like the confidence inspiring aspect of that large front wheel way out in front when rolling off something rocky and steep.

Clearly a Jones bike can do some amazing things, but I have a hard time understanding how it is balanced -- with a slack seat tube and short stays and the front wheel so far out in front it would seem that in comparison to other bikes much more of the weight is on the back wheel. In my estimation, that's likely to be more "different" in comparison to other bikes than the front end handling. But then, I may be thinking about this all wrong...
    You are correct. The bike is more rear weight balanced than a conventional layout. It takes weight off the wrists and allows for a more confidence inspiring flight... If you are going to build a rigid bike that can bomb like these bikes do then you have to set it up a little differently than a XC rig. Of course, Jeff can build conventional XC geometry... But, so can everybody else. I want a bike that is completely different from my Wily or KM. I don't understand the point of having 3-4 bikes that are basically the same in thier geometry. Variety is the spice of life!
    The Jones bikes I have ridden ride quite differently from what I currently have. I believe that they are a bike that can expand your abilities. So many people get a custom bike built exactly to thier abilities and I think this frame will be well beyond my abilities. Something I can grow with. Anyway, I am rambling

Ti
    Misfit

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Break it down

Final spot checks and cleanup. The teardown begins. It's shipping as a SS, BTW.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Note the side by side of the two builds. These shots really illustrate the differences, especially with the AquaTruss.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 01-05-2006 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Comparo

Kill your... television
    I still can't get over the chainstay manipulation

Ti
    Misfit

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Those are some really nice bikes, but I have a couple questions

Doesn't that seat post flex with it being so tall?
    Is there any sort of coating on the frame at all? is is that just bare metal?

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turt99
    Those are some really nice bikes, but I have a couple questions

Doesn't that seat post flex with it being so tall?
    Is there any sort of coating on the frame at all? is is that just bare metal?
    I will have to defer you to my minister of information....MotoMan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not sure if its been asked or answered yet but, Aqua - How tall are you?

Kill your... television
    I will have to defer you to my minister of information....MotoMan.
    Ha Ha, OK!

These are tough ones. But, I will answer them as best as I can.

1) The seat post does flex. It is designed to flex for comfort. A completely rigid seat post can be very uncomfortable.

2) The frame is made from Titanium. Therefore it will not corrode.

Ti
    Misfit

Mmmmmm Beer!
    This is a message from Aquaholic to Jeff Jones. I'm sending it sending under this screen name because my computer crashed and CPATCRASH was already logged in and was kind enough to let me post this message. I recently moved to Tustin, Ca. Please PM me and I'll get you the correct shipping address so the bike is sent to the correct address. Thanks for your hard work, my bike is beautiful!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

No down tube logo?
    mtbtires.com

Negative Rep Points!!!!

It's hard for me to compare, really, Cloxxki. I have very limited experience on the big hoops. I first rode a Gary Fisher 292 and then a 293 back in Michigan a few summers ago. The owner of a LBS was kind enough to rent me his personal steed. It was the only bike around that fit my lanky ass.

But, I have to say that those two bikes were the most bizarre and evil handling bikes I have ever swung a leg over. I came away from those rides convinced that I would never, ever consider owning a bike with big wheels.

Granted, part of the problem, may have been the way these bikes were set up. The stem and bars were all wrong, the tires were horrid, the brakes backwards, and the Bomber fork up front was pure evil.

At this point I was about a year into waiting for my Jones, but I was still pretty adamant about staying with 26" wheels and a suspension fork. JJ tried to talk some sense into me..but I would have none of it

Fast forward a year, and I finally had the opportunity to ride BobD's personal One and Rob W's Dean 29er. Suddenly my eyes were opened as to what a properly executed 29er was all about.

It wasn't until I flew up to Oregon and spent the weekend on JJ's personal bikes...both his 26'er and his 29er that my fate was sealed to go with the big wheels.

The bike that I'm getting, if it is anything like what I rode that weekend at JJ's is mindblowing. JJ says that this bike rides better than his own...so I'm getting pretty worked up to test it out.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 01-05-2006 at 04:14 PM.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Absolutely beautiful..

I cannot even begin to say how much I want one of these bikes.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    You are correct. The bike is more rear weight balanced than a conventional layout. It takes weight off the wrists and allows for a more confidence inspiring flight... If you are going to build a rigid bike that can bomb like these bikes do then you have to set it up a little differently than a XC rig. Of course, Jeff can build conventional XC geometry... But, so can everybody else. I want a bike that is completely different from my Wily or KM. I don't understand the point of having 3-4 bikes that are basically the same in thier geometry. Variety is the spice of life!
    The Jones bikes I have ridden ride quite differently from what I currently have. I believe that they are a bike that can expand your abilities. So many people get a custom bike built exactly to thier abilities and I think this frame will be well beyond my abilities. Something I can grow with. Anyway, I am rambling

That is a pretty eyeopening idea... Haven`t thought of it that way, it actually makes a lot of sense. Buy something that offers a different experience, borders which lay farther away from what we are acustomed to now... Very existensial. Late night ramblings here too...
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Aqua, I've got a terrible bike hangover...

Its' like I've been to a great wedding, drank way to much, danced with all the pretty girls, and i'm waking up the next day and it is all coming back to me. unbeleivable time, but now exhausted. Anyone else feel like this? I think we all got a couple bucks worth of enjoyment out of this thread, so a big thanks to Steve and Jeff for providing so much entertainment!

Oh yeah and Steve, keep that thing as a SS cause when I come out to your trails for a visit, you know mine iwll be SS! I may be doing some walkin, but I'm gonna do those trails o'yours the correct way, on 1 speed!

Thanks for the ecellent thread.

Over and Out,
    Bob

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Wrap it up!

WishIWereRiding: 6'4" 176 pounds.

CPATCRASH:
    HA! Good one, mate!

Shiggster: No logo's...NAKED. We're going for the stealth look. It was actually JJ's idea on this one. "Most people that are into bikes will know what this this thing is".

Incidently, originally, I wanted to do something different with the logo on the DT. Rather than have a sticker, I was going to have "JONES" laser etched. That idea hit a dead end. Then I was looking into having Boone do a laser ceramic logo. He sent me a sample which was nice...but it really didn't look all that different than a flat black, painted logo.

Then we toyed with perhaps doing a bead blast effect.

In the end, we both agreed that this bike needs to be be naked.

BobbyD: If I can still make those climbs that are on my local rides, the bike will stay SS. If not, I'm slapping the gears on.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 01-06-2006 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member

What can brown do for you?

I can picture Aqua now, running back and forth between package tracking online, and his window looking for the ups man driving up the block.. Just call it cross training.

Shiggster: No logo's...NAKED. We're going for the stealth look. It was actually JJ's idea on this one. "Most people that are into bikes will know what this this thing is".

Incidently, originally, I wanted to do something different with the logo on the DT. Rather than have a sticker, I was going to have "JONES" laser etched. That idea hit a dead end. Then I was looking into having Boone do a laser ceramic logo. He sent me a sample which was nice...but it really didn't look all that different than a flat black, painted logo.

Then we toyed with perhaps doing a bead blast effect.

In the end, we both agreed that this bike needs to be be naked.
    Another idea that is nearly naked and could be removed/changed as desired:

Clear die-cut (or plotter-cut) vinyl. Cannondale did this last year on some bikes with a galvanized finish. Used a fairly thick vinyl and it looked like the logo was embossed on the tubing.

A small logo "embossed" on the top tubes could look nice and be very subtle.

Does look great naked though.
    mtbtires.com

Bored
    If I were Aqua, what would piss me off now, would be to have to go out for a few minutes on the day the bike was to be delivered, only to come back and find a "sorry we missed you" card hanging on the door...
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    "Clear die-cut (or plotter-cut) vinyl. Cannondale did this last year on some bikes with a galvanized finish. Used a fairly thick vinyl and it looked like the logo was embossed on the tubing."

That would look very slick.
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    [QUOTE=Aquaholic] 6'4" 176 pounds.

6’4” riding a 23.5” top tube? It’s a good thin NCJ01 isn’t around anymore he would try and discredit the whole bike on those dimensions alone.

Kill your... television
    [QUOTE=Endomaniac]
    6'4" 176 pounds.

6’4” riding a 23.5” top tube? It’s a good thin NCJ01 isn’t around anymore he would try and discredit the whole bike on those dimensions alone.
    It isn't a typical cross country race rig, that is for sure. My Wily has a 24" ETT and I am having Jeff build me a 22.5" ETT on my ONE. You sit much more upright.
    Different tools for different jobs.

Ti
    Misfit

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It isn't a typical cross country race rig, that is for sure. My Wily has a 24" ETT and I am having Jeff build me a 22.5" ETT on my ONE. You sit much more upright.
    Different tools for different jobs.
    I'm 5'8" with a long torso. I think Aqua's bike will fit me fine. Can you guys bring it by so I can try it?

Hey Moto or Aqua, can you describe what your ONE will do/be. Is it your all-mountain freeride rig? Will you sell all your other bikes because they can't compair?

Also, how long did both of you really sit on the waiting list? I've been on since December 2004...

P.S. Moto, I don't care how much you think your's will be a rehash of the same. I STILL WANT A NEW THREAD ON YOURS!

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Leaving the nest

The proud father sends his baby away to find a new life.

Nat
    mtbr member
    The proud father sends his baby away to find a new life.
    Can that Bus really peg at 80mph? My old roommate's Bus could barely hit 55, and it was scary at that speed especially when the fridge would go mobile and roll up and down the floor.

dtheo
    Sep 2005

The Jones Bus

7 year wait list.
    80 mph top speed geared version.
    single speed still under development.
    Custom fridge fastening truss.

start saving

Negative Rep Points!!!!

"It's on the Truck"

"It's on the truck, scheduled for delivery, today". - FedEx employee.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

"The Eagle has Landed"

And so it begins.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Can I make a guess as to which MTBR member will be calling in sick tomorrow?
    Enjoy the ride.

Leash Law Enforcer
    And so it begins.
    Ok, that is just down right cruel. I got all excited when I saw in my email that you had posted that it had arrived. I rushed to the message board to see pics of it in your possession and I get a pic of . . . the FedEx guy pulling it of a truck! Torture me no longer! I want some action shots of you on this thing railing up and down NC!

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    Now we want to see some pics showing motoman711 how to go big !!!
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

Kill your... television

I reiterate

Quote Originally Posted by mcd
    Now we want to see some pics showing motoman711 how to go big !!!
    Aquaholic can't touch this.

Ti
    Misfit

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Well? Still not together? Were all ready for the ride pictures now!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Int'l Man of Leisure
    So how much does a bike like that cost...?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by CPATCRASH
    Well? Still not together? Were all ready for the ride pictures now!
    He must just be waiting for real ride pics. It appears to be built up and ready to go if you look at this http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...6&page=2&pp=50 reply #25.

Cold Blooded
    Wow!
    Those are inspiring pictures (not that dude's prostetic erection). I am quite amazed that the rigid rides could take that kind of abuse. Those guys must be incredibly smooth too.

Poorly Disguised Poser

not sure but....

Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    Whenever someone asks a question like that about a bike like this...the answer is correctly stated as, "if you gotta ask, it is too much for you".

after you wait the 7 years (last claimed wait for a build), you hopefully will have saved up enough.

Ken

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    Whenever someone asks a question like that about a bike like this...the answer is correctly stated as, "if you gotta ask, it is too much for you".

after you wait the 7 years (last claimed wait for a build), you hopefully will have saved up enough.

Ken
    Oh, ok, not many things are worth that kind of wait, but what makes you think I don't already have enough 'saved' up in my toy money account? Does it cost over $50k.. or what?

giddy up!
    Oh, ok, not many things are worth that kind of wait, but what makes you think I don't already have enough 'saved' up in my toy money account? Does it cost over $50k.. or what?

They're very expensive. Check out Jone's website for pricing.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey

B
    Actually, I think he pulled the pricing of the frames off the site.

Ti
    Misfit

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Actually, I think he pulled the pricing of the frames off the site.
    Yep, ergo my question.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

B
    ha.ha.ha.ha...kindof puts in perspective the comments by Bigwheel and others who jumped all over mtbNate's back when he posted that Ti Titus with a couple hundred bucks of gold colored parts (good parts that happened to be gold in color), when you compare it to a $10k+ rigid singlespeed.

Kill your... television
    Yep, ergo my question.
    The best person to ask is Jeff himself. But, don't call him. He is busy on my frame.

Ti
    Misfit

Int'l Man of Leisure
    WHA..TF???!?!?!?!?!!!

$10,000 for a rigid single-speed???

No way...

Poorly Disguised Poser

yup!!

WHA..TF???!?!?!?!?!!!

$10,000 for a rigid single-speed???

No way...

and people are still lining up. I think you are simplifying things a bit too much though. Calling this "a rigid single-speed", is a bit like referring to a F1 race car as " a rough riding single-seated impractical gas guzzler". Both statements are true, but neither really does the machine justice.

That bike and JJ's other creations are not like other off the shelf bikes. They are one-of-a-kind creations that are quite radical departures from what is commonly available. Take a look at the geometry, etc.

PS, I liked the Titus....also not my style, but its also not my bike. Love it when someone specs a creation that is not the flavor of the month!

Sorry to jack a really good thread here....I will move on.

Ken

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    and people are still lining up. I think you are simplifying things a bit too much though. Calling this "a rigid single-speed", is a bit like referring to a F1 race car as " a rough riding single-seated impractical gas guzzler". Both statements are true, but neither really does the machine justice.

That bike and JJ's other creations are not like other off the shelf bikes. They are one-of-a-kind creations that are quite radical departures from what is commonly available. Take a look at the geometry, etc.

PS, I liked the Titus....also not my style, but its also not my bike. Love it when someone specs a creation that is not the flavor of the month!

Sorry to jack a really good thread here....I will move on.

Ken
    I like the Jones bike. I think of it as shreddable art though.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by 29inch
    ha.ha.ha.ha...kindof puts in perspective the comments by Bigwheel and others who jumped all over mtbNate's back when he posted that Ti Titus with a couple hundred bucks of gold colored parts (good parts that happened to be gold in color), when you compare it to a $10k+ rigid singlespeed.
    I was one of commentators in the aforementioned thread:-)....I'm not sure why we're still talking about it though!
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm not sure why we're still talking about it though!
    Because of the disparity in treatment.

1 guy posts for months arguably the most excessive build in forum history, and gets massive, universal, and unqualified praise.

Another guy posts a single photo of a frameset that we later learn is not even his, with a few hundred bucks of uniquely colored parts on it, and gets called names, attacked, and personally insulted by many, including some of the "forum elders."

That to me, is a massive imbalance. It doesn't make sense to me. It's bewildering.

Is this "business as usual" on the most popular online cycling forum in existance?? Is the difference between the objective products themselves sufficient enough of a basis to justify the difference in forum member treatment? It can't be bling level, money spent, or the magnitude of the sheer level of excess, becuase it would have shaken out the other way.

I simply do not understand, and that failure on my part leaves me incomplete on the subject, and so I tend to ramble about it.

mtbr member

jones cost

A cut and paste, and not sure how old this info is:

A complete Jones custom titanium bicycle can run anywhere between $3,500 and $7000 plus, depending on the requested frame design and part spec.

Frames (Geared, Single Speed, 29"/700C) Base Price
    Full Custom Diamond Frame $1949
    Full Custom 3D Space Frame straight tubed $2349
    Full Custom 3D Space Frame with curved tubes and more vertical compliance $2949

Handlebars Base Price
    Titanium H-Bar 26" wide with 45 degrees of sweep $159
    Titanium H-Bar with curved ends H-Bar 26" wide with 45 degrees of sweep $199
    Custom bars available, contact me for details.

JJT
    mtbr member
    Well, considered the time JJ puts into a frame and relative to other builder that NOT expensive, at least not more expensive then other builders.

JJ
    Singlespeed Central - European SS and 29" webshop

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    @JJT,

Are you on the list already ? ; )

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by 29inch
    Because of the disparity in treatment.

1 guy posts for months arguably the most excessive build in forum history, and gets massive, universal, and unqualified praise.

Another guy posts a single photo of a frameset that we later learn is not even his, with a few hundred bucks of uniquely colored parts on it, and gets called names, attacked, and personally insulted by many, including some of the "forum elders."

That to me, is a massive imbalance. It doesn't make sense to me. It's bewildering.

Is this "business as usual" on the most popular online cycling forum in existance?? Is the difference between the objective products themselves sufficient enough of a basis to justify the difference in forum member treatment? It can't be bling level, money spent, or the magnitude of the sheer level of excess, becuase it would have shaken out the other way.

I simply do not understand, and that failure on my part leaves me incomplete on the subject, and so I tend to ramble about it.
    I am sorry. But, I don't see what is excessive on this build. Name one part that does not deserve to be on this bike. The Thomson stem and seatpost? The Chris King Hubs? The Hope Brakes? Or is it the Boone cog and chainring? To me all of these parts were chosen for thier performance and durability. I have seen many, many bikes on this forum using the exact same equipment which were not called 'excessive'.

Ti
    Misfit

pepito
    Jun 2004
    people 'line up' to spend many, many thousands of dollars on paintings or photos that took the artist a few days or weeks to create, most likely using relatively inexpensive materials along the way. this bike took well over a month to create, required very expensive materials and equipment, and does a bit more than hang on a wall it's entire life. non-cyclists would look at bikes like this in a 'wtf' sort of way, because after all, it's just a bike, right? but aren't we cyclists? aren't we supposed to see a bicycle as functional art? i bet a few of the people who laugh at the price of JJ's bikes are driving around $40-$50k cars. you want to talk about excessive? a $15k corolla would probably more than meet your needs. let's put things into perspective and lay off of each other.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    . let's put things into perspective and lay off of each other.

the_dude

word.

Stop picking on Aqua - it's not his fault he bought cranks too short. He needs your support right now.

ps - love the bike Aqua, just kidding about the cranks. Kinda.
    Ride.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

"How much did it cost?"

It's funny, I have been asked that question so many times. "How much did it cost?"
    I think it's just a universal thing. It is just the lowest common denominator. Whether it's a car, boat, home, trophy wife, whatever... It's the same mental logarythm that people want to fixate on.

I almost got in an argument yesterday with a guy who just wouldn't let go.

Rude Guy: "How much did it cost?"

Me: "A lot".

Rude Guy: No really, dude...how much was it?"

Me: "A lot."

Rude guy: Mannnnnn, why you gotta be that way? JUST TELL ME WHAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS COSTS!"

And on, and on this went. This clown was like a pit bull swinging on a tire. Finally, I wore him down and he gave up.

This is my mid life present to myself. Some guys go out and buy red sports cars. Me, I like to ride bikes.

Int'l Man of Leisure
    It's funny, I have been asked that question so many times. "How much did it cost?"

I think it's just a universal thing. It is just the lowest common denominator. Whether it's a car, boat, home, trophy wife, whatever... It's the same mental logarythm that people want to fixate on.

I almost got in an argument yesterday with a guy who just wouldn't let go.

Rude Guy: "How much did it cost?"

Rude Guy: No really, dude...how much was it?"

Me: "A lot."

Rude guy: Mann, why you gotta be that way? Just tell me what something like this costs?"

And on, and on this went. This clown was like a pit bull swinging on a tire. Finally, I wore him down and he gave up.

This is my mid life present to myself. Some guys go out and buy red sports cars. Me, I like to ride bikes.
    Why not just proudly tell all who ask the cost? Why all the secrecy?

I have no problem-o telling people I shelled out $5,000 for my Asylum... I love the reaction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I really injoyed watching the build of this bike, and I too am guilty of being curious about what a bike like this would cost. My curiousity was satisfied when I went to the Jones website and saw the price of the H-Bars. And then found posts that say "If you have to ask then its too much".

Once I saw the H-Bars price I then made an estimate of the materials and time needs to make these and compared that to a full bike build, if my calculations are correct, this bike costs ..... More then I could ever let myself spend on a bike. (I'm more of a weekend warrior)

However, I say, if you can afford a bike like that without hurting yourself with Debt then why not? You work your whole life trying to make money to feed your self and have some extra to have fun with, I would wager a bet that Aqua is having the time of his life on his new bike, and to him its probably worth every penny.

Enjoy your bike Aqua, and don't worry too much about getting it dirty. I know I'd be cleaning it everyday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Because it's none of their business and it misses the point

I have no problem-o telling people I shelled out $5,000 for my Asylum... I love the reaction.
    Do you freely tell people your annual salary? It is a private issue and most people do not feel the need to discuss the price of an object. On an expensive item like a Jones most people will have one or two reactions that 1) That anyone is crazy for spending that much on a bike, any bike... 2) You are a snob or similar for for having a bike that costs that much.

Anyway if Aqua tells people who ask usually it will not be received as a positive, so why bother at all to tell them? Those who appreciate what a Jones is probably already know about what one costs and will not need to ask. One thing most folks do not get is the fun, entertainment, pride, friendship and learning experience that Aqua got from this purchase, not to mention a kick ass bike to ride for years.To some that is worth a good portion of the cost.

Plus I really doubt the Jeff Jones likes this type of discussion taking place in this type of environment and I'm sure Aqua (w/o JJ ever saying a thing) is smart enough to realize that.

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Tall
    Do you freely tell people your annual salary? It is a private issue and most people do not feel the need to discuss the price of an object. On an expensive item like a Jones most people will have one or two reactions that 1) That anyone is crazy for spending that much on a bike, any bike... 2) You are a snob or similar for for having a bike that costs that much.

Anyway if Aqua tells people who ask usually it will not be received as a positive, so why bother at all to tell them? Those who appreciate what a Jones is probably already know about what one costs and will not need to ask. One thing most folks do not get is the fun, entertainment, pride, friendship and learning experience that Aqua got from this purchase, not to mention a kick ass bike to ride for years.To some that is worth a good portion of the cost.

Plus I really doubt the Jeff Jones likes this type of discussion taking place in this type of environment and I'm sure Aqua (w/o JJ ever saying a thing) is smart enough to realize that.
    If the price of the Jones is part of its mystique I can appreciate that. But the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" standard reply is pretentious and down-right snoby.

I look at my bikes as investments in my health. Sure I could have bought a couple dirt bikes, or a trip to Disneyland for my $5k, but those things aren't going to help me stay in shape.
    Last edited by MTBNate; 01-13-2006 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Gorgeous bike, worth the ten grand for the amount of time that Jeff put into it. Would I pay 10K, no my wife would cut my nuts off and I would need a Mixte. Oh wait it would be perfect then

Aqua and Moto, I am sure that you guys are going to love your bikes. They are worth the 10,000 Jr Bacon Cheeseburgers and don't let anyone tell you anything else.

Poorly Disguised Poser

I find that the secrecy

Is easier to promote than the ongoing diatribe that occurs after caving and telling the price. I would rather not deal with the, "oh my god! you paid that much for a bike..."

I generalize when I say this I know, but I think that most people that ask, are wanting the price so they can further their idea that this bike is a dumb purchase and us grown people riding bikes are just plain idiots, who have never grown up enough to manage money.

How often have you told someone the price, and had them say something complimentary afterwards?

When I said, "if you have to ask, its too much" I was not trying to be an a$$, I meant it. If you are asking price, it implys that money is important to you. If money is important to you, you are typically going to be less likely to shell out that much of it for a ride.

I likened this bike to art, because the sort of guy who buys it is a lot like the people that buy art in a gallery. They see something they love, and it makes them smile just looking at it. It is a bright spot in any day. Factor in the bonus that you also can ride the living cr@p out of it and it looses none of its luster and some people (like aqua probably) lay down the money with no hesitation to ask the price.

Sorry if that irritates anyone. That is my take on things. If you think something is not great, artistic, or whatever you wont buy it. that is fine.

Sorry also to those that think this discussion should not be here. The amount of people engaging in the discussion seems to indicate that many want to be part of it.

Aqua created something nice here, but once its up in space, we all have the ability to change it. Sorry again.

I really look foreward to getting back to discussion of the bike, and seeing pics of the abuse that Aqua (the man and the bike) deal out to one another....until then, I guess we can keep discussing whatever members want.

Ken
    Last edited by unit; 01-14-2006 at 07:55 AM.

Poorly Disguised Poser

come on already....

tell us/show us how it rides....

Is is lacking in any way? does it exceed your expectations? How close to your position was it.

My brother had a sweet bike custom built a few states away. When they shipped it to him and he saw it for the first time, he pulled it out of the box and lined up all the tape marks, and rode it. I am not sure he ever had to make a single adjustment.

Think you will ever upgrade it....assuming that better parts ever become available?

ken

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ....no matter how many times I read this thread (and it has been MANY times), I am always very satisfied by the experience (until I realize that I am not the one receiving the Jones via FedEx! ). Thanks again Steve....just thought I'd document it this time!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Wow

Wow, i spent the last few hours reading this thread from start to finish,
    can't believe i missed it when it happen / spent too much time on other forums

amazing thread , i wish we could see some more like it.

way to go Aqua and JJ

jncarpenter Thank you for bringing it back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by goldinjohn

Wow, i spent the last few hours reading this thread from start to finish,
    can't believe i missed it when it happen / spent too much time on other forums

amazing thread , i wish we could see some more like it.

way to go Aqua and JJ

jncarpenter Thank you for bringing it back.
    Haha, Me too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Aquaholic, any news about this nice bike?

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bedolaga
    Aquaholic, any news about this nice bike?
    It's gained a bit of weight. Lost the gears. New wheelset (I9's). Bigger rear brake.

Still puts a grin on me face everytime I clip in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Impressive

Map Maker
    wow this thread is almost 4 years old. still a nice bike though.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Sheeeeeeet...has 4 years really gone by?

What a long, strange trip it's been!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'd love to get a section in on that bike just to see how it feels...bet it's fun blasting down Stairway on it. When I left SoCal, your Spot was broken and you were on that rigged-up cruiser. Nice ride you have there.

I'm on a rigid SS now myself, and am waiting for a custom 29er by Thylacine.

Might be visiting SD in Feb or so-will have to rent, borrow, or beg a bike and ride Noble at least.

-MikeD

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Aqua,
    You're riding in a cast!?!? Seriously hardcore man... Great pics.

is buachail foighneach me
    another great set of riding pics! you've got some sweet trails aqua. and some serious dedication riding chunky singletrack in a cast.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Members who have read this thread: 8