Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Silly Question

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    114

    Silly Question

    I am looking to replace my seat clamp. I have a 98 GF HKEK with a seatpost of 27.2mm. Am I looking for a seat post clamp of the same size27.2 or lager say a 31.8? This seems like an assenine question. But my brain isn't working and I can't remember what size I need. Thanks.
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,000
    Quote Originally Posted by kitts21j View Post
    I am looking to replace my seat clamp. I have a 98 GF HKEK with a seatpost of 27.2mm. Am I looking for a seat post clamp of the same size27.2 or lager say a 31.8? This seems like an assenine question. But my brain isn't working and I can't remember what size I need. Thanks.
    The seat collar fits the OD of the seat tube, not the ID (seatpost diameter).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The seat collar fits the OD of the seat tube, not the ID (seatpost diameter).
    So would a 31.8 fit my seat collar, or am I looking for something more like a 28.6?
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

  4. #4
    Framebuilder
    Reputation: Live Wire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by kitts21j View Post
    So would a 31.8 fit my seat collar, or am I looking for something more like a 28.6?
    Like Shiggy said, it depends on the OD of your seat tube. Match your new clamp to that.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heck08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16
    I read on another forum 28.6 should work....

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,969

    Measure your seat tube!

    And with that, we're locked.

    -W
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •