mtbr member

Should I buy these reamers?

So a local guy is selling these hand reamers. I don't know much about reamers, but it seems like a good deal and I've thought about getting some reamers. If I do go check them out, what should I watch out for in terms of wear and tear?

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified...amers_13503663

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They will have no use for framebuilding, other than building up your tool base for making fixtures, etc. This is a 'tool lot'. Sometimes you get a bunch of tools like this for a song and it works out great. Other times, they can be beat down, or of limited use. There are a million types of reamers.. there's lots to know. Unless they were a really smoking deal, and high quality, I would opt to buy them new on an as needed basis, that way you know what you have, ie not undersize, not oversize whether intentional or because of wear/defect, etc.

For f-building, I would suggest a size run of adjustable high quality hand reamers, and maybe a seat pin specific reamer if you have the cash. I have an adjustable that I put a mic on and it cuts a hair under 27.2, and I finish with a flex hone. I never re-adjust that one, so it's like having a stand alone seat pin reamer...

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    They will have no use for framebuilding, other than building up your tool base for making fixtures, etc. This is a 'tool lot'. Sometimes you get a bunch of tools like this for a song and it works out great. Other times, they can be beat down, or of limited use. There are a million types of reamers.. there's lots to know. Unless they were a really smoking deal, and high quality, I would opt to buy them new on an as needed basis, that way you know what you have, ie not undersize, not oversize whether intentional or because of wear/defect, etc.

For f-building, I would suggest a size run of adjustable high quality hand reamers, and maybe a seat pin specific reamer if you have the cash. I have an adjustable that I put a mic on and it cuts a hair under 27.2, and I finish with a flex hone. I never re-adjust that one, so it's like having a stand alone seat pin reamer...

-Schmitty-
    Schmitty, what size flex hone are you using and/or do you have a link for it? I've been trying to do the same thing, undersize 27.2 and then a stainless steel brush for a while to clean it up but I'd think a hone would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_ntwr
    Schmitty, what size flex hone are you using and/or do you have a link for it? I've been trying to do the same thing, undersize 27.2 and then a stainless steel brush for a while to clean it up but I'd think a hone would be awesome.
    you can get a ball hone from any shop that has a QBP account

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrownSS
    you can get a ball hone from any shop that has a QBP account
    Awesome info! So it is specific to 27.2 then. That's what I was looking for. I'm calling the LBS right now. It's not often that the LBS is the source of framebuilding stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    it is not specific to 27.2mm. there are 3 sizes you can get.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrownSS
    it is not specific to 27.2mm. there are 3 sizes you can get.
    Here it is in the QBP catalog. I guess they aren't specific for bikes then. I'd think a 1-1/8" would be just as easy to get from MSC Direct.

EDIT, yep, MSC Direct has it too:
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...14906&PMT4NO=0

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's what I use. The duration you use it dictates what your finished id is. I keep a few unused posts as go/no go 'gauges'. Don't get the coarse hones...

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty

-Schmitty-
    Cool, thanks for the detailed reply! Good call, I'm not going to go for it.

Seat pin specific reamer - do you mean a reamer for a seat post?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron
    Cool, thanks for the detailed reply! Good call, I'm not going to go for it.

Seat pin specific reamer - do you mean a reamer for a seat post?
    Yeah, seat tube reamer.

-Schmitty-

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I just avoided all that reaming by having an old 26.8 Syncros post lying about. It fit just fine so I never bothered with the reaming. I would have liked to though and now I know what to get. Thanks guys!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Members who have read this thread: 0