Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004

Shimano E-Thru rear axle

Does Shimano make a QR15 E thru for 157mm rear axle spacing? I thought they did, but I might have imagined it.

EDIT: obviously not 15mm but 12mm...but with the QR aspect of the axle.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Dredge... Anyone know any more on this? I'm thinking to use the paragon sliders with the direct mount for the derailleur. Would prefer to use it at 157mm rather than the 150mm maxle which doesn't have the extra few mm keyed insert( technically it's a 142 drop re purposes to a wider rear end) that locks you into the shimano thread pitch nut...,
    The only thing I've been able to find that might act as an axle that fits is this Bike24 - DT Swiss XRR 470 Carbon Rigid MTB-Fork Disc only 29 Inch a Kurt kinetic traxle- presumably designed to be longer than the 135mm OLD in order to allow some real estate for mounting in the trainer... But if you remove the spacers I wondered if it might clear 150mm OLD. Otherwise maybe a santacruz v10 .5 rear axle? Sheesh! I hadn't quite realised how many rear axle types there are... Syntace different fro shimano, different from maxle, different from DT?

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Hey Jon

DT Swiss makes a 157 skewer. I called SantaCruz and they said that's what they're using. It's not the same thread pitch as the Shimano, and I can't recall off the top of my head if Paragon makes inserts for both pitches.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    interesting! thanks sean! iirc, the paragon DT slider insert is threaded, and doesnt seem to be available in direct derailleur mount.
    the shimano one takes a nut...which would suggest that a DT thru skewer might be too short to extend through the drop into a same-pitch nut once in position of a shimano pitch nut.
    blimey...