mtbr member
    May 2008

Self drilling seat tube

Would drilling a hole in the seat tube of a Steel frame affect the strength of the frame to a concernable degree?

The hole would be for the cable of a stealth dropper seat post

The frame would be one of either Transam, BFe, Blue Pig

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Is your issue with the cabling being external on most dropper posts have to do with leg rub when the saddle is in the low position?

If so, get a KS Lev. Done deal, no work required. I have experience with four posts (Gravity Dropper Classic, KS i9, Rock Shox Reverb, KS Lev), and this one is the best IMO.

EDIT: the way it works for having a cable mount point halfway up the post, at the top of the stationary portion, they run a little kevlar strand down through a groove in the outer tube. (It can be replaced with very heavy gauge fishing line if you're a moron who didn't read how to adjust the seat rotation)
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's mainly to do with the parts for this bike are coming of another, I could sell the post but it's working for me and I like the aesthetics.

Not having a remote wouldn't work for me, I've tried KS lever on a friends bike, the post works well, the affect on my riding didn't though

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Probably depends on where it is and the required diameter. Already have some holes drilled in it (water bottle mounts) but those are down low. I wouldn't put anything within 2" of where your top tube connects with the seat tube or within 1" of where the bottom of your seatpost ends inside the seat tube. What sort of riding will it be (2' drops or 12' drops)

I'd try other routing first. Voided warranty and broken spine from a busted frame aren't worth the clean look.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Drilling holes in perfectly good bike frames | Peter Verdone Designs

If you decide to do it, here is some good info on how.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Smashing link cheers

Cheers for the advice, drops will be towards the smaller end of the spectrum but I'm 100kg and I couldn't say I ride light.

Ref warranty, I live in the UK, I've all but given up on ever expecting any company to not be a PITA over legit warranty issues let alone unofficial mods

mtbr member
    If you go the BFe route - have a chat with Cy @ Cotic - he's very approachable about such things, and I suspect he may have already run it through his FEA package for certain frames.